BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

4 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

All ifs buts and maybes but I honestly believe if Gregg had signed him O’Brien and a striker we’d be in the premier league now. We were playing the best football in the league back end of last season and just couldn’t stick the ball in the net. No proof of that, just a gut feel. Best finish since 2012 and Tyler Morton/Pears cost us a trip to an FA cup semi final. Let’s not rewrite history due to the clubs incompetency, that’s exactly what they want us to do.

I don't think we had it in our locker for winning the play offs (but we were decent in the cup so you never know), but just being in the play offs which would have been massive improvement on all that came before.

8 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

Great post Neal 👏

I for one am getting tired of this pound-shop Pep disease that's filtering through the lower leagues. I love watching it when it works, but how many times does it work realistically, and fans want to hope that they can trust the management team to change it to suit the game in front of them happening at that minute, not on the training pitch. Everyone else can see it, why can't they, and it just breeds frustration, and that's why fans boo.

I suppose the main concern is that these clubs want to play like this to develop players who can be selected by the Prem clubs to slot into their system, at the expense of the current club's plight. No one wants a right back who just hoofs it 30 yards. Thing is, I'm enjoying Luton, as they mix it up and show everyone else how it could be. I have a lot of admiration for them. 

Best game I've watched so far this season was Everton v Brighton 1-1. The contrast in styles was great to watch, Brighton trying to play total football and Everton playing long low, long high, cross field, through midfield, out front the back... Brighton didn't know what to do and it was a perfect display from Dyche to the rest of us that there are other ways and methods to play in the modern game. I think this Guardiola way has generally made some of these modern managers a bit lazier in their approach that if their players don't win or perform that it's down to the fact that they don't have the ability to do it... Rather than getting the best out of what they have and playing to their strengths and setting them up in a way the opposition won't like. Which requires more time, studying and planning. Total football is great to watch when you win but murdering teams and being comfortably beaten is not fun to watch.

End of the day it’ll remain to be seen if Eustace is a long term appointment. Cold hard facts is he has less experience than JDT, who’s win percentage at rovers was 44%, Eustace’s is 33%. He was sacked with Birmingham 6th after what? 10 games? We were above them 2 games later. Underwhelming and safe appointment on paper, hopefully not another yes man for those hiding in the shadows.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

My thoughts on Allardyce are well documented, but I'd have him in right now, he's perfect for the shit we are in.

Don't bother travelling to away games though!

Seriously, I'm a Big Sam fan but I cannot see Venkys ever employing him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

Difference is; all of those players’ transfer funds were reinvested. Coventry have spent nearly £25million this season. Boro have spent circa £10million.

That's a very fair point and a reason why I'll protest against them, however like I said, there are no guarantees those signings will perform, Ellis Simms for e.g. You get the best out of what you have and I maintain it was the injuries that killed it for us all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

No one is denying the root cause of it all. It would have been great if Tomasson has been backed properly by the owners as he was led to believe. But that doesn't change the fact he had failings as a coach, and he's left us in a dire situation

In the end, it's been 2 painful seasons under him. The bad luck we suffered at the end of the last season in just missing the playoffs still hurts while this season has, let's be honest, absolute agony and could get worse

I didn't see last season as painful. It looked like finally we had some progress. Compare it to what came before, like the two 15th place finishes under Mowbray for example where he should have been replaced.

Unless there's a big changes at the club we're going to go back to those days of mediocrity, but I fear it could be even worse with the way they are stripping the club of any quality.

After last years 7th placed finish, the manager should have been backed. Or if they knew there were trouble ahead they should have let him go, appointed a battle axe like Warnock and appointed players for a scrap.

It's not rocket science is it, but then we're told the simpletons in the office can't even click the right button.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, MB Rover said:

All ifs buts and maybes but I honestly believe if Gregg had signed him O’Brien and a striker we’d be in the premier league now. We were playing the best football in the league back end of last season and just couldn’t stick the ball in the net. No proof of that, just a gut feel. Best finish since 2012 and Tyler Morton/Pears cost us a trip to an FA cup semi final. Let’s not rewrite history due to the clubs incompetency, that’s exactly what they want us to do.

Plenty of its and buts and maybes in there. 

The club's "Incompetency" isn't disputed, the real villains are well known and history isn't being rewritten, only the bald facts on where Tomasson has left us as he walks away   

1 minute ago, pick32 said:

I’d have big Sam back in a heartbeat, exactly the man when your in free fall and leaking goals 

I would, but he'd probably have a panic attack when he saw the squad.

Just now, booth said:

I didn't see last season as painful. It looked like finally we had some progress. Compare it to what came before, like the two 15th place finishes under Mowbray for example where he should have been replaced.

Unless there's a big changes at the club we're going to go back to those days of mediocrity, but I fear it could be even worse with the way they are stripping the club of any quality.

After last years 7th placed finish, the manager should have been backed. Or if they knew there were trouble ahead they should have let him go, appointed a battle axe like Warnock and appointed players for a scrap.

It's not rocket science is it, but then we're told the simpletons in the office can't even click the right button.

We are in the top 6 all season until the very last game or two IIRC. If that's not painful I don't know what it is

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

Knowing the shit we’re in, knowing that he’s available and knowing Venkys won’t ever go for him doesn’t help my current frame of mind regarding rovers at all.

I have a feeling that Eustace won’t be in the dugout tomorrow. It will be Lowe & Johnson.

Waggott will want him sat next to him in the JW upper to deflect any abuse for at least one more game.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

We are in the top 6 all season until the very last game or two IIRC. If that's not painful I don't know what it is

Since the Rao's turned up I go into every a season expecting it to end painfully.

And which other promotion chasing club would not support their manager in January, when in such a good position? Especially with an already stretched squad. The higher ups at the club nailed their colours to the mast with that one - there was no intention of promotion.

Edited by booth
  • Like 4

Last season was incredibly painful, mainly down to all those sliding doors moments mentioned earlier. But it was a mix of hope and frustration, as you could see green shoots, but then the off-field stuff just trampled on it. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, 47er said:

There was no point travelling to home games under JDT. Defo take Sam for the rest of the season if its doable he is exactly what's needed to get us out this mess.

Big sam wouldn't last 5 minutes here before getting sacked - JDT got his punches in on waggot and the club and hid behind his cheeky little smile. Big Sam ain't got a cheeky little smile. 

I'd have him here in a heartbeat. 

33 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Maybe Venky's refusing/unable to pay what he is due under his contract ?

Maybe ,I suppose anything could be happening with this lot.

But you would expect if it is a sacking it would be more cut and dry and be done now as surely there would be a legal requirement to pay JDT up.

My belief is it's the other way round that we are wanting compensation, even though the relationship looks beyond repair and it's inconceivable that JDT would be in the dugout again, a sacking would have been coming anyway especially after being critical of the ownership in his last press conference 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Polky said:

I have a feeling that Eustace won’t be in the dugout tomorrow. It will be Lowe & Johnson.

Waggott will want him sat next to him in the JW upper to deflect any abuse for at least one more game.

Very much this.