BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

If you take 2 similar quality teams, one plays out from the back, one sits deep and counter attacks with pace. 

I know which one I would back to win 8 times out of 10 and its not the tippy/tappy.

I also know which I'd rather watch. 

That said,  I always thought Rovers best performances over the last few years have been when we used a high press. 

It’s obvious, win the ball high up the field, play as much as you can in their half.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

Need to see full evidence, but if true I trust she was well paid off !! Only two are authorised to deal with the EFL regarding transfers with the necessary codes, and if either of the senior staff " delegated " these roles, it is they who should resign ...

I give you the example of Peter Carrington, ( 1919-2018 ), 1st Tank Commander across Nijmegen Bridge in 1945, ( Military Cross ), various political offices until becoming Foreign Secretary, under Thatcher in 1979. Negotiated the Rhodesia settlement in 1979, but after the Falklands Invasion on 2nd April 1982, he resigned 3 days later, because " It was my responsibility, my team failed to see the problem, I didn't ask the right questions, and I am ultimately responsible " .. A man of honour, and decency ..

He's chucked an admin Clerk " Under the Bus " whilst failing to take responsibility ... In days of old, he'd have been asked to take a bottle of Malt Whisky and a service revolver into the woods, and do the decent thing !!

Do you know where in the regulations this is please?

I can find the bit which says only those two people can sign the documents but nothing about them being the only ones who can submit (🤦‍♂️) them.

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s obvious, win the ball high up the field, play as much as you can in their half.

Or play with two flying wingers who can cross a ball and a big physical centre forward who can score goals?

Kudos to any manager who tries that again. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
26 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

If you take 2 similar quality teams, one plays out from the back, one sits deep and counter attacks with pace. 

I know which one I would back to win 8 times out of 10 and its not the tippy/tappy.

I also know which I'd rather watch. 

That said,  I always thought Rovers best performances over the last few years have been when we used a high press. 

High press can work well, but typically only for certain periods. Asking a team to high press for entire matches and in every match is going to lead to exhaustion fairly quickly even in the best conditioned teams. I believe it's part of the reason Klopp's teams tend to go strong for a season or two and then start to fade away. Even with elite athletes at elite levels of fitness it's difficult to sustain that indefinitely.

Basically you need a plan around what your team is doing when not executing the high press, and I'm not sure we ever had a good plan for that. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

High press can work well, but typically only for certain periods. Asking a team to high press for entire matches and in every match is going to lead to exhaustion fairly quickly even in the best conditioned teams. I believe it's part of the reason Klopp's teams tend to go strong for a season or two and then start to fade away. Even with elite athletes at elite levels of fitness it's difficult to sustain that indefinitely.

Basically you need a plan around what your team is doing when not executing the high press, and I'm not sure we ever had a good plan for that. 

That’s why you can sub half the team in today’s game.  Usually the players that do the most pressing. Of course if you only have a bench full of kids it’s not going to work.

• Like 1

From what iv'e seen of Ipswich they seem a bit more old school although decent passing it around as well  but they seem able to mix it up.

Maybe all those seasons in lge 1 have given them that rough direct edge to add a bit more football to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

From what iv'e seen of Ipswich they seem a bit more old school although decent passing it around as well  but they seem able to mix it up.

Maybe all those seasons in lge 1 have given them that rough direct edge to add a bit more football to.

They’ve got the right mixture of possession and direct play that can get you out of this division without breaking the bank. They’ve got a very good coach/manager.

• Like 2

not that happy that he has gone he should have been backed last january, but it was coming with the run of results and the very poor home form just surprised a lot more were not calling for it  as we are bottom of most form tables and the worst defense in the league.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tomphil said:

made some excellent signings without breaking the bank.chaplin and broadhead are excellent players

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Luton won promotion last season playing a "basic" style - let's put it that way. A big centre forward and hard working grafters who competed in every area of the pitch. No one special. I went to the match at Kenilworth Road and guess what, we lost 2-0 by farting around with the ball at the back.

Morris and Adebayo are pretty special in this league. They've got 15 between them in the PL.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Your idea of special is different from mine

Yeah I kind of got that.

21/22 - Adebayo 17 goals
22/23 - Morris 20 goals

Nothing special about those two players in the Championship is there Jim. No one special in that team. Just graft and a big lump.

• Like 1

Just now, booth said:

Yeah I kind of got that.

21/22 - Adebayo 17 goals
22/23 - Morris 20 goals

Nothing special about those two players in the Championship is there Jim. No one special in that team. Just graft and a big lump.

Good players but not special. Ross Barkley however … 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

But playing them up there together was the master stroke. Playing one of them on their own would be just like playing Gally up there on his own.

That's why I said the both of them are special in this league.

That said Adebayo was injured for plenty of games last season and Morris was prolific without him. Same as the year before for Adebayo when he scored 17.

Anyway the point was that if you have two CF's like that you're going to be in with a shout of promotion.

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

As a young player I went on trips to Europe and played in tournaments against teams from Germany, Italy, France etc. Unlike our lads, their defenders were all comfortable on the ball and played it amongst themselves even then, forerunners of the Guardiola era. It was interesting to say the least and as a forward, I found myself chasing shadows half the time. 

That's why England were light years behind continental players and have only won the World Cup once (home advantage and a Russian linesman). We couldn't even qualify in 74, 78 and 94.

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

All I know is it’s 10 times easier being the pressing player than it is being the player trying to play out from the back. One mistake in the last third and it usually ends up in a shot on goal. Which in our case usually equals a goal.

It's 10 times more tiring too, which is why teams like Man City run away with games in the last 20 minutes.