BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship - 22-23

A far from ideal result for us.  Not that you can rely upon other teams doing it for us. 

Tell you what this season shows though - can't compete because of finances is bull. Sure top 2 were parachute payments but look at the make up of the playoffs. At least 1 probably 2 plus who have smaller budgets than us. Y

• Like 4

1 hour ago, booth said:

Brereton has had 0 goals in 7. Like I said, that's the difference. We're having to rely on other players than our top scorer.

Millwall also have Flemming. I'm not saying Millwall are ideal, I'm saying that currently they have better goalscorers than what we have, which is a statistical fact.

Fair enough

55 minutes ago, booth said:

I think Chaddy just likes to argue for the sake of it. He's seeing a team scoring goals live then just moments later saying they aren't all that.

Not at all I just don't agree with you. Football is all about opinions

• Backroom

Plenty of results this season that are coming back to bite us at the tail end.

3-0 defeat to Reading, 4-1 defeat to Preston, 4-0 defeat to Rotherham, all absolutely inexcusable results directly contributing to our GD now counting for absolutely nothing. 

1-0 defeat to Cardiff where Hirst missed a penalty in the 95th minute.

1-0 defeat to Wigan, followed by a 0-0 later on. A single point from the team currently bottom of the league, almost sure to go down.

The no-show at Turf Moor. Had we showed the same passion we showed at Ewood we wouldn't have lost 3-0.

Then there's the current horror run where we've lost to Birmingham and Norwich, failed to beat Huddersfield (21st), Hull (15th) and thrown away three points in the final moments of the match against Coventry and Preston.

We just aren't ready. Maybe next season we will be, if the recruitment team massively step their game up and JDT stays, but we aren't there yet. Every chance we end the season without a win in 9, which should make it clear to everybody at Rovers that there are some major problems that need resolving. 

It's been a bizarre season in many ways, and I think we'll need to be a lot stronger next season to continue competing at the right end of the table.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

To be fair we have a full week between games ourselves. No excuses to be made on that score.

If it comes down to it which would you rather have. A home game and 10 days to prepare. or seven days to prepare plus a trip to London.

My point was that Sky determined this.

Edited by 1874

1 hour ago, DE. said:

3-0 defeat to Reading, 4-1 defeat to Preston, 4-0 defeat to Rotherham, all absolutely inexcusable results directly contributing to our GD now counting for absolutely nothing. 

1-0 defeat to Wigan, followed by a 0-0 later on. A single point from the team currently bottom of the league, almost sure to go down.

The no-show at Turf Moor. Had we showed the same passion we showed at Ewood we wouldn't have lost 3-0.

Then there's the current horror run where we've lost to Birmingham and Norwich, failed to beat Huddersfield (21st), Hull (15th) and thrown away three points in the final moments of the match against Coventry and Preston.

We just aren't ready. Maybe next season we will be, if the recruitment team massively step their game up and JDT stays, but we aren't there yet. Every chance we end the season without a win in 9, which should make it clear to everybody at Rovers that there are some major problems that need resolving. 

It's been a bizarre season in many ways, and I think we'll need to be a lot stronger next season to continue competing at the right end of the table.

If we'd have actually bothered to turn up and participate in these games we'd have easily picked up another 6 points at least. 

I understand there are growing pains and everything isn't going to be brilliant but to just not bother is totally unacceptable. 

These games, coupled with Maggot and his stooges sabotaging our recruitment in January are the reason we won’t be going up.

• Like 2

Obits on the season are premature. 

Luton and Millwall are relentless in their pressing and forward momentum and that plus no lack of skill has propelled them to where they are.

I have seen enough of both to know that if Rovers really turn up like we have been doing in the majority of recent fixtures, we are well capable of beating both.

On the spin of football probability,  Ben won't always find touch when aiming for the corner of the goal.

7 hours ago, 1874 said:

If it comes down to it which would you rather have. A home game and 10 days to prepare. or seven days to prepare plus a trip to London.

My point was that Sky determined this.

Honestly don’t think seven vs 10 matters, indeed 10 can be a big too long, you can lose a bit of focus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DE. said:

Yeah we don’t loose 3-0 or 4-0 to teams like Reading & Rotherham next season…we sign the players needed and keep JDT then we will be around the play offs again. However next season will be classed as a complete failure if we don’t. 

Edited by BankEnd Rover
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

image.thumb.png.0659a87f9c7f2c9c72e7355d02abf62b.png

B'ham and Watford away wins anyone? 

Yes please, plus a Sheffield United win/draw and a Norwich win/draw 😀

I think that would mean a win and a draw would be enough for us, as long as the win was against Millwall.

My maths might be wrong though!

Edited by wilsdenrover

Good morning and welcome to today’s straw clutching.

Unfortunately, the, ‘It’s still in our own hands”, klaxon isn’t available, at least until 17:00.

However, we still have, “Twists and turns”,, “We’re still in the mix”, and, “If we play like we know we can”, in operation.

Happy clutching everyone 😉

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, martonrover said:

Good morning and welcome to today’s straw clutching.

Unfortunately, the, ‘It’s still in our own hands”, klaxon isn’t available, at least until 17:00.

However, we still have, “Twists and turns”,, “We’re still in the mix”, and, “If we play like we know we can”, in operation.

Happy clutching everyone 😉

In theory we can still get in the play-offs with just a draw  against Luton as long as we beat Millwall and other results go for us.

1 hour ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

image.thumb.png.0659a87f9c7f2c9c72e7355d02abf62b.png

B'ham and Watford away wins anyone? 

I've been pondering over the last few days and the hope I have is that the Championship is the most unpredictable league and nothing surprises me. I watched Blackpool last night in the vain hope they could get something against Millwall and perhaps they should have done so that gives me something to cling on to. The forces are have conspired as our own results, decisions and bad luck have taken it from our own hands but I never say never.

As ever with Rovers we never seem to do things the easy way.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, rigger said:

In theory we can still get in the play-offs with just a draw  against Luton as long as we beat Millwall and other results go for us.

…….so not in our own hands.

I’m going to clutch at the straw that either Cov or Sunderland slip up, unexpectedly, today.

If not, only the ultra optimists will still believe.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I've been pondering over the last few days and the hope I have is that the Championship is the most unpredictable league and nothing surprises me. I watched Blackpool last night in the vain hope they could get something against Millwall and perhaps they should have done so that gives me something to cling on to. The forces are have conspired as our own results, decisions and bad luck have taken it from our own hands but I never say never.

As ever with Rovers we never seem to do things the easy way.

It's the hope that kills you, as has been said so many times! But you're right, there are no guarantees Cov or S'land will get wins today. Last night was a bad result, it may even prove to be decisive when it all pans out.

Obviously this is all predicated on us beating Luton. It really is Operation Must-Win Part 1!

• Like 1

For it not to be in our own hands, Coventry and Sunderland need 4 wins out of 4 from

Birmingham C H

Watford H

Middlesbrough A

Preston NE A

It doesn't matter which game is a slip up or which of Coventry or Sunderland slips up, anything less than 3 points in all those games and Rovers can do it with the two scabbiest wins in the history of the club if that is what it takes.

For what its worth we were a 94th minute og away from getting 4 wins out of 4 from those fixtures...

Edited by philipl

2 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Yes please, plus a Sheffield United win/draw and a Norwich win/draw 😀

I think that would mean a win and a draw would be enough for us, as long as the win was against Millwall.

My maths might be wrong though!

A Preston win would be better as the nobbers wont show up in the last game if they've nothing to play for

• Like 1

Even if other results go in our favour, I can't see us getting 6 points from the last 2 games

We struggle to score goals and seem incapable of defending narrow leads and are hopeless at chasing a game when we go behind. 

The already thin squad is down to bare bones because of injuries and poor form - there are players being picked because they're the last man standing in some cases when some should be rested or dropped

Tomasson's hands are tied and all he can do is shuffle a weak and depleted pack, and hope for the best

After a season that promised so much that's all we're left with