BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ashley Phillips - signs a new deal

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

Or Phillips could be given game time with our U21s

But its not the same. He needs competitive football, he has had plenty of 90 minutes against kids and it hasnt prepared him for 90 minutes of senior football.

12 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

I know it’s a division lower than you’re talking about but I’d trust Hughes at Bradford to use him correctly. 

I would ideally prefer League 1 but the balance is standard v likely minutes I guess. I think he could do well in League 1.

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely, his physical struggles are likely down to his age. But surely him trying to play loads of minutes at League 1 is better than another season of very occasional appearances due to the injuries of others? 

I think the ideal for Phillips is to source a proper loan. Assurances that the plan is for him to be competing for a starting spot. Get him used to the rough and tumble and minutes in his legs.

I would also be looking to tie him down to a five year deal as we did with Wharton. Then bring in an experienced centre back on a shorter term deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

But its not the same. He needs competitive football, he has had plenty of 90 minutes against kids and it hasnt prepared him for 90 minutes of senior football.

I would ideally prefer League 1 but the balance is standard v likely minutes I guess. I think he could do well in League 1.

The reason I suggested Phillips should play for our U21's is because of the following senario. Phillips is loaned to a lower league club, were he plays in a system that is nothing like how the Rovers play. Because there is a limited amount(if any) of lower league teams that play the way JDT wants us to play. Phillips then returns after his loan period, and would be like a fish out of water in our first team. He would then be dropped to the U21's, where he would have to relearn how JDT wants to play. Training and fitness are the best way to last 90 minutes

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

The reason I suggested Phillips should play for our U21's is because of the following senario. Phillips is loaned to a lower league club, were he plays in a system that is nothing like how the Rovers play. Because there is a limited amount(if any) of lower league teams that play the way JDT wants us to play. Phillips then returns after his loan period, and would be like a fish out of water in our first team. He would then be dropped to the U21's, where he would have to relearn how JDT wants to play. Training and fitness are the best way to last 90 minutes

But playing against kids is not challenging, there is nothing really riding on it and it is not preparing him physically for full games at senior level.

• Like 1

Just now, wilsdenrover said:

EFL regulations allow for a player to play non first team games for his parent club whilst out on loan at a different club.

I’ve no idea how often this is ‘taken advantage’ of.

We did last season with Eastham.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

It is important to find a suitable club, 100%, don't think they need to be local though.

of course it needs to local so we can monitor him and also let him play for under 21's if he doesn't play there. 

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But playing against kids is not challenging, there is nothing really riding on it and it is not preparing him physically for full games at senior level.

I can understand why people will say keep him here and use him here plus develop him here under JDT

7 minutes ago, philipl said:

I would rather have Ash at Ewood watched over by our sports science and medical teams and getting a dozen first team appearances while captaining the under 21s than getting 35 starts at Clogham United in League 1.

Don’t be silly, Hayden Carter learnt a shedload more playing proper first team football at Portsmouth than half paced youth football.

• Like 7

I think Phillips is going to have to go on loan at some point if doesn't become 1st choice here. The question Is when and the issue is his body. 

I still don't think he's filled his frame out and his body isn't ready for the game time. 

I'd keep him around until January then reasses.

• Like 3

Yes, you were coming out with silly and ignorant comments about the division just one level below, a division that has been a cracking learning ground for many a top player. You also said you hoped he would make ‘a dozen appearances’, he had more than that last season. To develop further he needs more first team football, if it isn’t going to be on offer here, then loan him out, pretty standard stuff.

Edited by Mattyblue

I think we need to remember it is still a couple of weeks before he even turns 18, there's no rush and in fact rushing him (40+ games in league one say) might be detrimental.

He played 14 games here last season and the same amount or a few more might be best.

Personally I'd expect him to stay and see how he gets on, how much game time and improvement he makes and reassess in January.  If he isn't getting any game time and the sports science people think it is the right move then loan him out in January when he can get games like Carter did.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, philipl said:

I would rather have Ash at Ewood watched over by our sports science and medical teams and getting a dozen first team appearances while captaining the under 21s than getting 35 starts at Clogham United in League 1.

Right now he's the first CB off the bench - not sure we can loan him out at the moment. He'll get plenty of game time next season at Rovers.

• Like 1

I think the main thing with Phillips is to tie him down to a proper 5 year contract like we did with Wharton. If we can do that, then every decision we make can be based on what's best for his development. He only has 2 years remaining on his contract. 

The amount of interest he's generated at such a young age makes him feel like a special case and every decision we make with him, needing to keep him and his agent happy. I'm not saying he's kicked up any kind of fuss, but they may not always know what is best for his development. I'm sure bigger clubs will still be whispering in his agents ear from time to time. 

Get him signed up to a long term deal and then we can decide how best to develop him. Even if he went out on loan this season and performed incredibly, it'd be horrible seeing him come back to the club with only 1 year left on his contract. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I think the main thing with Phillips is to tie him down to a proper 5 year contract like we did with Wharton.

I read that we couldn't give Phillips a longer contract than three years due to his age. He turns 18 in a couple of weeks, after which I assume we can offer a longer contract, similar to what we did with Adam Wharton.

Alongside Adam Wharton, Phillips is one of the academy's breakthrough prospects, so he may well have a massive value to his name within the next few years, just as Adam Wharton does at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if Broughton tries to negotiate a new contract for Phillips at some point this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, goozburger said:

I read that we couldn't give Phillips a longer contract than three years due to his age. He turns 18 in a couple of weeks, after which I assume we can offer a longer contract, similar to what we did with Adam Wharton.

Alongside Adam Wharton, Phillips is one of the academy's breakthrough prospects, so he may well have a massive value to his name within the next few years, just as Adam Wharton does at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if Broughton tries to negotiate a new contract for Phillips at some point this year.

I’d hope it’s already negotiated and waiting to be signed on his 18th birthday.