BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ashley Phillips - signs a new deal

23 minutes ago, 47er said:

5 year deal on a decent salary, rising with appearances, would be perfect for us. We'd sell when he's in his early 20's, should he wish to leave, and get a monster fee for him. Win-Win!

Yes, he could be worth an absolute fortune in a few years. He must already be the best English CB in the country for his age. 

Was his passing and running with the ball was anymore adventurous for the U-21? His passing was very sideways; don’t know if was due to not having a pass on or just trying to keep it simple, but it was a contributing factor to why we were penned in our own half. S Warton provides a good outlet with his passing, we definitely missed that against Reading.  

5 minutes ago, Snarley02 said:

Yes he plays with more freedom in the 21's and carries the ball more but can't blame him for keeping it simple. More games, more confidence I suppose.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he was being told to keep it simple considering he’s starting and we have no viable replacement. The last thing they needed was Phillips to make a game losing cock up vs WBA and Reading by being too adventurous and not being able to take him out the firing line. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Dan said:

Was his passing and running with the ball was anymore adventurous for the U-21? His passing was very sideways; don’t know if was due to not having a pass on or just trying to keep it simple, but it was a contributing factor to why we were penned in our own half. S Warton provides a good outlet with his passing, we definitely missed that against Reading.  

I've seen him play three 1st team matches and I've seen him in around ten youth matches. On every occasion he appears calm, unhurried and fairly effortless. He is a difficult one to assess. I genuinely can't decide if he is a sensation, or if he has never truly been tested by a good striker.

I am looking forward to see him compete against a streetwise, Danny Graham type centre forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

I've seen him play three 1st team matches and I've seen him in around ten youth matches. On every occasion he appears calm, unhurried and fairly effortless. He is a difficult one to assess. I genuinely can't decide if he is a sensation, or if he has never truly been tested by a good striker.

I am looking forward to see him compete against a streetwise, Danny Graham type centre forward.

He is both.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Shane Long is streetwise, has been around the block and gave him a torrid time.

I wouldn't describe him as calm, unhurried or effortless especially from the 2 league games. He seemed quite nervous and keen to get rid of the ball as soon as possible.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I wouldn't describe him as calm, unhurried or effortless especially from the 2 league games. He seemed quite nervous and keen to get rid of the ball as soon as possible.

If you are not nervous at important times in your life, there is something wrong with you.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Agreed, with the added pressure of the likes of Paratici in the stands watching him. 

• Backroom

Hope so, I was told on Saturday that he was keen to stay but had changed his mind last week and told them he intended to leave, happy if that info was wrong 

On 20/08/2022 at 00:40, RoverDom said:

Which is why it's madness that people want to give him a 10k a week contract to stay

Madness would be letting him go for next to  nothing. Or more accurately, it would be yet another example of madness.

3 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Yeah as soon as he started playing first team games we were really in the driving seat on keeping him. No one with a brain (as he obviously has) leaves first team football to play reserve football, especially when the level of reserve football Spurs play is the same as Rovers (PL2 Div1). 

Even if we sign 2 CBs he is going to get a fair amount of game time over the season.

• 2 weeks later...