BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ashley Phillips - signs a new deal

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

No hindsight needed as folk thought exactly that about SG too, a fair few grumbled, the club signed him up on a new deal anyway to protect their investment  - and quite right too.

Perhaps the club thought, that at the time, Gallagher was a better bet than Brereton. I cannot say as I am not privy to the clubs thoughts. But it all amounts to nothing and we have just got to get on with the outcome of past decisions.  

3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

I think you rally need to understand this point, its very clear - THE PLAYERS REFUSED TO SIGN DEALS OFFERED TO THEM !

Rothwell wanted out for over 12 months because of his WAG.

Nyambe - came crawling back once it was clear he want going to the PL, agreed a deal and went back on those terms hence the club withdrew the offer - he now finds himself at might Wiggin earning no more cash than he was already on at Ewood and without a signing on fee (his deal was 12 months and he didnt get one!).

Lenihan - huffed and puffed over 2 years, again, believing he was premier league bound and finally got an offer he was agreeable to but opted to sign for the huge club that is Boro as they appeared to fit in with his PL ambition. Look where he is??

Interesting especially that Nayambe didn’t get a signing on fee. Players certainly take a chance when turning down the offer of a new deal down and clearly they sometimes backfire.

36 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

BB should’ve had an offer on the table  18 months ago ago, just like SG had with two years left on his existing deal. He would most likely have jumped at the chance to re-sign back then, as did SG.

If BB had have signed a new long term deal 2 years ago before he became BBD very few would have been that happy about it at the time, hindsight is a bugger

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

If BB had have signed a new long term deal 2 years ago before he became BBD very few would have been that happy about it at the time, hindsight is a bugger

Who cares what a few online thought though? The club is a business and should have protected that investment in the summer of 2021, especially as in that lockdown season you could see there was a player finally coming through.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Who cares what a few online thought though? The club is a business and should have protected that investment in the summer of 2021, especially as in that lockdown season you could see there was a player finally coming through.

Do you know for certain that a deal was not offered, or if one was offered, was it turned down ?

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

So? The club does what is right for its balance sheet, not what JoeBloggs95 wants them to do.

Just like they did with SG.

Edited by Mattyblue

6 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

BB should’ve had an offer on the table  18 months ago ago, just like SG had with two years left on his existing deal. He would most likely have jumped at the chance to re-sign back then, as did SG.

He has been offered a deal otherwise Rovers could not have exercised the extension of his contract for a further 12 months. Discussions are ongoing with his reps whether he signs or not is up to him especially if he fancies a move abroad.

9 hours ago, Miller11 said:

You might be happy to shrug your shoulders about the whole situation and absolve anyone currently employed by Rovers of any responsibility for it, but Broughton doesn’t seem to share your view. That’s blindingly evident from his words and actions.

They have acknowledged there is an issue with retaining our assets and I’m delighted to see they appear to be learning from their mistakes and prevent a similar situation happening again.

You'd never have seen Waggott going back to offer Wharton a new deal less than 6 months after his initial one was signed. Broughton has an entirely different remit. Waggott’s priority is cost cutting, Broughton is concerned with what happens on the pitch. That’s the real positive about this new structure. I had some initial concerns about the whole set up but it looks as though Broughton has been given plenty of autonomy (thankfully!), which was essential to make it work.

Another point which is very clear - EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THE PLAYERS REFUSED TO SIGN THE DEALS ON OFFER. ITS PRETTY OBVIOUS CONSIDERING THEY ALL LEFT. What people have an issue with is the manner of negotiations and offers that were made. You can add Tomasson to the list of people not happy with losing these players for nothing too, in case you haven’t listened to him.

Your first paragraph is bollocks if I see blame be assured I let them know

On 20/09/2022 at 19:52, rigger said:

Fred Pickerings best position was attacking. At present, Phillips is in defence. 

And so was Pickering's position in defence until circumstances sent him up front, a totally alien position for him. Then, and only then, did the manager realise his potential as a striker. 

10 minutes ago, bazza said:

And so was Pickering's position in defence until circumstances sent him up front, a totally alien position for him. Then, and only then, did the manager realise his potential as a striker. 

And what happened to Pickering, has no bearing whatsoever on Phillips's future. It is also strange how the England U19s manager also sees Phillips as a defender. Perhaps he hasn't heard about these defenders that morph into top class strikers. 

13 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

It was a throwaway comment that rigger has taken very seriously. 

It is a comment and I took it at face value, then I expressed my opinion on the comment. Very rarely do I take opinions, "very seriously", except my own of course.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, renrag said:

Fred Pickering actually played centre forward for Blackburn and Lancashire schools. He then joined Rovers who converted him to left back, and he captained the youth cup winning team in that position. He was then reinvented as a centre forward in the reserves where he was a regular goal scorer. Jack Marshal then gave him a chance in the first team and the rest is history

A pal of mine was an England international at schoolboy level. He played in the same team as Barry Bridges, Willy Carlin, Warick Rimmer, John Talbut etc. He was showing me his memorabilia one day and we came across a programme for Manchester Schools ( his team ) v Lancashire schools. F Pickering ( Blackburn ) was on the right wing for Lancashire schools believe or not ! I never had Fred down as a winger.

If you remember Paddy Daly for Rovers he was in the Manchester team. My pal signed for United when he left school but he had a career ending knee injury at 17.

Mike England was the Centre Half who we played up front in the mid-60s.....and part of that Youth Cup side with Newton and Pickering. Phillips reminds me of him.

My favourite player who gave Burnley a torrid time when he played against Blant et al. Score away from home - 4-2(?).

Still alive and living in North Wales.....one of the very few players to enhance his career by moving away, in his case to Spurs.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mhead2 said:

Mike England was the Centre Half who we played up front in the mid-60s.....and part of that Youth Cup side with Newton and Pickering. Phillips reminds me of him.

My favourite player who gave Burnley a torrid time when he played against Blant et al. Score away from home - 4-2(?).

Still alive and living in North Wales.....one of the very few players to enhance his career by moving away, in his case to Spurs.

He was tremendous when he took over from Mick McGrath at left half for half a season. It gave him the opportunity to show his true all round  footballing abilities. Centre half limited him somewhat. He’s still the best centre half I ever saw in the flesh.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

• Herbie6590 unpinned this topic
  • 8 months later...

Looks like England U18 have scored an injury-time winner against Australia U18. I believe Phillips is playing, but can't find any information on the game other than a live score.

Phillips has been captaining the U18 side because I think he's on the verge of moving to the next tier (U19 or U20). I think we'll be seeing a lot more of him in the senior squad this season.

• Like 3

We are in a strange position with him. Hyam is a guaranteed choice, and with the lack of experience, seemingly the intention to go for an experienced CB makes sense.

What I think would be worst for him is to be 4th or 5th choice here next season. Not sure he is better than Carter and maybe Wharton now, but seems to have far more potential long term. He also struggles to finish games physically, often going off with cramp. I think regular football at League 1 level would be ideal to help him to come to terms with regular 90 minutes of football.

You also have the fact that he only has 2 years on his contract.