BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ashley Phillips - signs a new deal

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m glad Philips has signed a new deal at Ewood, but the circus around him signing shows just how far this great club has fallen.

Before these owners and the almighty shit show arrived, this would have been done quietly in the background, no fuss, job done…..

Not these days…..

Edited by Gav

11 minutes ago, Gav said:

Don’t get me wrong here, I’m glad Philips has signed a new deal at Ewood, but the circus around him signing shows just how far this great club has fallen.

Before these owners and the almighty shit show arrived, this would have been done quietly in the background, no fuss, job done…..

Not these days…..

We are hardly the only club having to deal with this situation. Our club has resolved it to our benefit - surely a matter for celebration and credit to the likes of Broughton and Waggott for getting this over the line.

• Like 1

Brilliant news really and as already stated, it shows the previous regime, were missing a trick. If the manager was advising non playing staff to move on, then perhaps he was also reluctant to persuade players that Ewood was the place for them.

Thank goodness that’s now in the past. 

• Like 8

• Herbie6590 changed the title to Ashley Phillips - signs a new deal
  • Herbie6590 pinned this topic
9 minutes ago, lraC said:

Brilliant news really and as already stated, it shows the previous regime, were missing a trick. If the manager was advising non playing staff to move on, then perhaps he was also reluctant to persuade players that Ewood was the place for them.

Thank goodness that’s now in the past. 

there was`nt a snowballs chance in hell that the lad would have signed under mowbray and venus,he would`nt have got near the first team,neither would adam wharton,it took scott wharton 3 seasons and muliple loans to get in and travis only got a chance because of injurys,even then he was ignored for months after getting sent off,jury is still out on jdt but to his credit he does give the young lads a chance

• Like 3

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

no,he`s big and pretty mobile,he would be a massive handful up front,we have four good centre backs so stick him up front,once he starts scoring the premiership lot will be on the phone with telephone number sized bids,he`ll be our 20 goal striker!!!!!!!,outside  box thinking works sometimes

He is built nothing like Samba. He is tall and lean. He would be muscled out of a game, against half decent championship defenders. I doubt he is anywhere near as good as Gallagher, as a striker. We have signed potential, not an experiment.

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Not these days…..

I'm pretty sure most fans will have recieved a bit of a boost from reading he's signed a pro deal with us (and not sold his soul to a "big prem club") 

With results being so inconsistent lately I'm happy for any good news to help keep morale up. 

P.s. 🥱🥱🥱

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

Really good news, this.

Best for his development and protects our investment / future asset value.

Ideally he'd play Premier League football with us in a few years, but if not, hopefully he earns a huge money move.

Both this and A.Wharton's contract is a big statement that we're no longer operating under the halfwit operational management that saw the likes of Nyambe, Rothwell and our club captain walk away for free this summer.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Probably after Rovers scored 7 against them when he was in defence 😂

I remember turning out as centre half for Rovers during a centre half shortage - for the match I saw him play there it was probably one of the best centre halves performances I have seen at Ewood. Of course that may have been short lived if he had reverted full time to centre half - but there was enough in those few matches to suggest he had more chance getting in the England team as a centre half than he did centre forward.

1 hour ago, rigger said:

And that means absolutely nothing, in relation to Phillips.

I agree - but history is littered with players switching - Hendry played up front initially in his career, Sutton as a centre half and Warhurst centre half, before centre forward and then Dalglish converted him to centre midfield (where, but for injury, I think he was probably potentially the best box to box midfield player in the country)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I agree - but history is littered with players switching - Hendry played up front initially in his career, Sutton as a centre half and Warhurst centre half, before centre forward and then Dalglish converted him to centre midfield (where, but for injury, I think he was probably potentially the best box to box midfield player in the country)

So are you saying that you would start Ash Phillips up front for the Rovers now. You don't need to quote other players.

10 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I remember turning out as centre half for Rovers during a centre half shortage - for the match I saw him play there it was probably one of the best centre halves performances I have seen at Ewood. Of course that may have been short lived if he had reverted full time to centre half - but there was enough in those few matches to suggest he had more chance getting in the England team as a centre half than he did centre forward.

Defenders where still allowed to have a battle and get stuck with real tackles then, plus most clubs still played a lot of long balls and crosses so if you where a big tall tough lad with good heading abilty you where already 2 thirds the way to being a good Premier league cb

Sorry ive not read the entire thread though so I'm not sure where this playing Ashley Phillips up front daftness is coming from

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

54 minutes ago, rigger said:

So are you saying that you would start Ash Phillips up front for the Rovers now. You don't need to quote other players.

I did start by saying I agree that Philips current position is centre half. I was just pointing out that players sometimes start in one position - but end up in another. It would be interesting to know whether he has ever been deployed as a striker in his short career. 

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Defenders where still allowed to have a battle and get stuck with real tackles then, plus most clubs still played a lot of long balls and crosses so if you where a big tall tough lad with good heading abilty you where already 2 thirds the way to being a good Premier league cb

TBH - what IMO made Sutton a potentially very very good centre half wasn't  just his heading ability. He also had good pace, excellent distribution and good positioning.

1 minute ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

TBH - what IMO made Sutton a potentially very very good centre half wasn't  just his heading ability. He also had good pace, excellent distribution and good positioning.

Good pace! Really. Pace is Never something that springs to mind when i think of Sutton

You must have watched a lot of Norwich then because there's no way you could judge that from the few cameos he played back there for us