BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ashley Phillips - signs a new deal

47 minutes ago, roverandout said:

The welsh supporters are talking about him having the carrot of a world cup place as his mother is welsh.  I'm hoping he plays for England one day and not those English player thieving barstewards. I also hope he signs a new contract 

You’d like to think that he’ll be far too good to play for Wales, when England is the alternative.

I think it depends on how much confidence the lad, his family and his representative have in his ability.

If they’re worried that he may only get this one opportunity for a bigger move, he’ll go and play for Spurs reserves.

But if they think he’ll be the player we suspect he’ll become, the sensible thing to do would be to star for Rovers for a couple of years before earning his big move.

One thing I will say, JDT is no fool and, even with the injury crisis, if he felt that the player didn’t want to be here or was about to move, he wouldn’t be starting games for us.

• Like 2

From our perspective on an Internet message board it's clear that he should stay, play some first team games, show case his talent and get a big money move elsewhere. If you're in that situation though with the possibility of sealing a move that will set you and your family up for life vs staying here, things going tits up and earning peanuts before getting a job in a bar at 20. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

From our perspective on an Internet message board it's clear that he should stay, play some first team games, show case his talent and get a big money move elsewhere. If you're in that situation though with the possibility of sealing a move that will set you and your family up for life vs staying here, things going tits up and earning peanuts before getting a job in a bar at 20. 

But even paying him decent championship wages would constitute eye watering amounts of money for a 17 year old and would in all probability set him up for life anyway. What are we talking about 10-15k per week? The only way he ends up earning peanuts before getting a job in a bar is if he gets injured during the next 9 months while still on a scholar's contract. To me, its in his interests financially to sign a contract with Rovers now rather than risk it all.

• Like 7

Spurs could offer him £30k a week, and him and his mum a big posh house in London. They could probably do that off the proceeds from the micro-brewery they have at their new ground!

If it's 1st team football he wants he'll just get Spurs to send him on loan.

The only reason he's stay here is if his family like it Oop north and he loves the mighty Rovers. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Spurs could offer him £30k a week, and him and his mum a big posh house in London. They could probably do that off the proceeds from the micro-brewery they have at their new ground!

The only reason he's stay here is if his family like it Oop north and he loves the mighty Rovers. 

Lot of sense in this post, sadly. The only other counter argument could be that the stability of staying with a single club for a couple of years could be better for his development than a series of loans until his early-mid 20s. 

If I were JDT, I'd be on at him constantly about the path that Jude Bellingham took at Birmingham. Could've gone into a CL club's academy before he takes his GCSEs, but instead does another two years playing every week in the Championship, has his pick of clubs to join after and goes into Dortmund's team being able to command a starting position. 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Lot of sense in this post, sadly. The only other counter argument could be that the stability of staying with a single club for a couple of years could be better for his development than a series of loans until his early-mid 20s. 

If I were JDT, I'd be on at him constantly about the path that Jude Bellingham took at Birmingham. Could've gone into a CL club's academy before he takes his GCSEs, but instead does another two years playing every week in the Championship, has his pick of clubs to join after and goes into Dortmund's team being able to command a starting position. 

Yeah look at Michael Hectors career as evidence of that. 

image.png.a5e5873a9a686e3c2722b76094823969.png

32 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I'd hope AP does sign up and spend 2 or 3 years with us developing as a footballer. 

The stability issue is a good point. London may be a bit of a head scrambler for a 17 year old who wasn't brought up there. He also might not develop to the same standard if he's playing Spurs U23 games for the next couple of seasons. He would be training with Kane and Son of course but they are no BBD and Dack!

Hopefully he just concentrates on his football here and Rovers reward him with a contract that befits his new status. I'm presuming the pro deal that was agreed in principle 12 months ago might be looking a bit on the light side now he's made his debut in the league!

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I'd hope AP does sign up and spend 2 or 3 years with us developing as a footballer. 

The stability issue is a good point. London may be a bit of a head scrambler for a 17 year old who wasn't brought up there. He also might not develop to the same standard if he's playing Spurs U23 games for the next couple of seasons. He would be training with Kane and Son of course but they are no BBD and Dack!

Hopefully he just concentrates on his football here and Rovers reward him with a contract that befits his new status. I'm presuming the pro deal that was agreed in principle 12 months ago might be looking a bit on the light side now he's made his debut in the league!

I'm hoping that any delay in signing a new deal is down to that - that the pro-deal which might've been something like £2-3k per week (?) now needs doubling or trebling. Not an unreasonable negotiation given how everyone's bigging him up for twelve months, and now that he's actually started a league game. 

Hoping is the operative word though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I just don't think Spurs are offering him anything like that.

@JoeHis I think in the know on this one - are Spurs looking at Phillips as a development player (i.e. U23s) or as a genuine first squad?

If they want him for the first squad obviously we don't stand a chance. But if it's a choice between first team with us and U23s with Spurs we will have a good shout imo.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

@JoeHis I think in the know on this one - are Spurs looking at Phillips as a development player (i.e. U23s) or as a genuine first squad?

If they want him for the first squad obviously we don't stand a chance. But if it's a choice between first team with us and U23s with Spurs we will have a good shout imo.

He's hardly going into 1st team, but there's an appeal for young players to go and be a 21's player at Spurs. End of the day the agent is the one who'll want a move the most. It's the only way he's getting paid the big money.

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

The point is they're capable of offering him a lot more than us, if they really want him. 

3 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

I don't think he'll get a better mentor than Tomasson.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JoeH said:

End of the day the agent is the one who'll want a move the most. It's the only way he's getting paid the big money.

His agent will want him playing first team football.  Like someone put up there Michael Hector, a quality player has been fecked around and just been journeying on loan for years.....

The big money will come naturally,  his agent/parents aren't fools or he'd be gone already 

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

If he's playing the next two games for us we'll begin to see if the West Brom game was a fluke or not. I felt he was superb.

Its a big week for him and the club. Show his worth now rather than just potential and suddenly the club have justification to offer him a first team players contract rather than a youth contract. He gets the money, we retain an asset and he's put his hat in the ring for a lot of minutes moving forwards which will be best for his development. 

Like someone else said, the money we can offer for a first team player will be comparative to a spurs youth player. The big thing is us being able to justify the contract to our squad and the only way to do this is him performing in our first team. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

But even paying him decent championship wages would constitute eye watering amounts of money for a 17 year old and would in all probability set him up for life anyway. What are we talking about 10-15k per week? The only way he ends up earning peanuts before getting a job in a bar is if he gets injured during the next 9 months while still on a scholar's contract. To me, its in his interests financially to sign a contract with Rovers now rather than risk it all.

With our wage structure are we really going to put him up with the top earners off the back of a couple of games? What would paying him £10-15k do to the rest of the squad? 

4-5k a week more likely? (Is that what nyambe was rumoured to be on?) And whilst it's an eye watering amount at 17, it won't set him up for life.

But yes, he'd be sensible to sign a pro contract now and get the protection now. 

21 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

If he's playing the next two games for us we'll begin to see if the West Brom game was a fluke or not. I felt he was superb.

Its a big week for him and the club. Show his worth now rather than just potential and suddenly the club have justification to offer him a first team players contract rather than a youth contract. He gets the money, we retain an asset and he's put his hat in the ring for a lot of minutes moving forwards which will be best for his development. 

Like someone else said, the money we can offer for a first team player will be comparative to a spurs youth player. The big thing is us being able to justify the contract to our squad and the only way to do this is him performing in our first team. 

I think this is a bit optimistic. If they want to, Spurs can give him a better financial package than our first team players' contracts and on top of that there is the lure of being at a Premier League club who play in the Champions League. Look at Harvey Elliot moving from Fulham to the Liverpool academy, despite having played first team football in the Premier League.

Big toss up, understand the argument from both ends of this one.

Offer him something big because he's clearly a top talent that's unique and could grow - BUT risk setting a dangerous precedent and upsetting squad members. 

Or

Don't offer him something big because it could upset squad members and set a dangerous precedent - BUT risk losing a top talent that's unique and could grow.