BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ashley Phillips - signs a new deal

Just now, RoverDom said:

With our wage structure are we really going to put him up with the top earners off the back of a couple of games? What would paying him £10-15k do to the rest of the squad? 

4-5k a week more likely? (Is that what nyambe was rumoured to be on?) And whilst it's an eye watering amount at 17, it won't set him up for life.

But yes, he'd be sensible to sign a pro contract now and get the protection now. 

I'd imagine if the coaches are of the view he will play 20+ first team games an offer of around £5k a week would seem reasonable. Thats around half a million a year (up from probably around £25k a year scholars wages?)... Maybe Spurs would pay a bit more than 0.5M if they were desperate to add him to their 23s but I can't see them paying much more tbh. They've got a lot of money but paying scholars huge sums is not something I can imagine Levy going for.

The trade off I can see coming is the money people at Venkys/Ewood saying - "okay we will pay him a first team wage but we will now sign one less defender". So it may come down to whether JDT and Broughton want to recognise him as a full first team player or not.

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'd imagine if the coaches are of the view he will play 20+ first team games an offer of around £5k a week would seem reasonable. Thats around half a million a year (up from probably around £25k a year scholars wages?)... Maybe Spurs would pay a bit more than 0.5M if they were desperate to add him to their 23s but I can't see them paying much more tbh. They've got a lot of money but paying scholars huge sums is not something I can imagine Levy going for.

The trade off I can see coming is the money people at Venkys/Ewood saying - "okay we will pay him a first team wage but we will now sign one less defender". So it may come down to whether JDT and Broughton want to recognise him as a full first team player or not.

With respect £5k a week is an annual salary for the player of £260k, nowhere near half a million, albeit employers national insurance plus any premiums for insurance against the player getting injured do take the cost to the club higher.

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't think so really if we view him as a first team player. We pay our first team players more than Prem teams pay their U23s.

Not strictly true. AA and/or SG had to take a pay cut to come to Ewood. 

And like I said, if they really want him they could blow us out of the water financially. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

45 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

With respect £5k a week is an annual salary for the player of £260k, nowhere near half a million, albeit employers national insurance plus any premiums for insurance against the player getting injured do take the cost to the club higher.

Do'h your right, I was calculating 10k for some reason.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Not strictly true. AA and/or SG had to take a pay cut to come to Ewood. 

And like I said, if they really want him they could blow us out of the water financially. 

SG was defo given a first team contract by Southampton- after his loan spell with us coincidentally .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Gallagher_(footballer,_born_1995)

AA made11 appearences for Newcastle in 2014, so again was a first team player and would be compensated as such. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Armstrong_(footballer)

I don't think either are indicative of the level of pay Spurs will afford a youth player who has one game in the Championship during an injury crisis.

We as fans don’t want to lose a potential windfall but i’m just happy to see that ”if you are good enough - you play”

that i can get behind - the owners strange indifference to assets is odd but  something that has become an issue in this case because of Waggot/Suhail as a first professional contract should be routine 

• Backroom

As rumours circulate that the Spurs move is imminent I’d just say I’d be opposed to having him back on loan as some have suggested 

By all means throw everything at his development if he’s our player but we’ve nothing to gain from developing him for Spurs 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, USABlue said:

Perhaps Markanday can explain to Philipswhy he left Spurs to come here for less money.

To be fair, when everyone is fit it seems that neither would make the bench for us at the moment so I am unsure exactly what he would say!

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

As rumours circulate that the Spurs move is imminent I’d just say I’d be opposed to having him back on loan as some have suggested 

By all means throw everything at his development if he’s our player but we’ve nothing to gain from developing him for Spurs 

I usually don't like the "developing a player for another team" line when it can benefit us just as much but Phillips would be a different case to Van Den Berg for example who has 18 months Championship experience and would clearly improve us, whereas Phillips wouldn't make the squad.

• Like 1

If venkys are apparently happy to lose BBD on a free why is the same not true of Phillips?  Selling now is only in the interest of Spurs. Why wouldn't we hold on till January when he has 10-15 games under his belt and is potentially attracting more interest and a bidding war? Then we can lose him for the tribunal fee if that doesn't work? 

I know we can get the sell on clause but there's every chance he gets lost in the U23 system and released in 5 years time for nowt. 

3 hours ago, USABlue said:

Perhaps Markanday can explain to Philipswhy he left Spurs to come here for less money.

Did he come for less money though? I don't think he did. We paid him a competitive wage as he moved into our first team squad while he was still viewed as an U23 player at Spurs.

Questionable source.

But if it is true, I don't see how we would be likely to give him first team football, if we are after 2 more centre backs.

He is a young lad seemingly growing into his body so I would like to think that we aren't guaranteeing regular football.

That being said, would be a huge boost for the future.

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Questionable source.

But if it is true, I don't see how we would be likely to give him first team football, if we are after 2 more centre backs.

He is a young lad seemingly growing into his body so I would like to think that we aren't guaranteeing regular football.

That being said, would be a huge boost for the future.

Ideal situation imo is we sign a couple of Defenders, Phillips signs a new deal with us and he goes on loan  to a league one club and if his performances merit it he becomes a fixture in our first team squad from next season 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Ideal situation imo is we sign a couple of Defenders, Phillips signs a new deal with us and he goes on loan  to a league one club and if his performances merit it he becomes a fixture in our first team squad from next season 

Agreed. That being said, I am not sure that the prospect either of that or being 5th/6th choice here is necessarily an attractive enough prospect to snub Spurs for.

He seemingly picked up a lot of injuries last season and I know it was warm but he had to come off on Sunday. Tomasson I think mentioned that he is growing into his body so he might not even be ready for regular football hence why I would be concerned if he has to play for the rest of the month 

• Like 1

I hope he stays. Gets a contract for £3-5k pw + picks up win bonuses as part of the squad and plays 6-10 games this year. Tbh if he keeps developing the contract will get torn up and replaced but the pathway is the most important part and if he continues in the England squad then the sky's the limit. Big money move by 21 and Blackburn get a whopping payday.

On 16/08/2022 at 13:42, Rogerb said:

What stands out for me is that so far Ash has not been prone to the reckless challenge which is so common with centre half's. Quite remarkable for such a young player.

his reading of the game is excellent,thus he never needs to resort to fouls and it looks like he`s strolling through games,in 2 or 3 seasons time rovers are going to get an absolute fortune for him(if he signs the deal that is),he`s already better than most centre backs and he`s only 17,he will be an absolute monstrous player by the times he`s 20

• Like 1

17 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

games,in 2 or 3 seasons time rovers are going to get an absolute fortune for him

If recent history is anything to go by, in 3 seasons time he will be entering the final year of his contract and we'll sell him at a discount to avoid losing him on a free.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

from another Rovers fan site

this is what one poster has posted 

"Rovers met with Ash Phillips representatives on Tuesday evening and a new contract has been agreed in principle."

Hope he signs a contract but he's agreed one previously "in principle"

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Thought he really struggled last night and was a clear weakness.

On Sunday he misjudged a couple of things but got away with it, yesterday he looked so nervy. 

Of course he is very young and raw and ultimately we should have players ahead of him.

He looked a class act in the making last night. Yes, he's young and raw but he's tall, athletic and got a nice touch and reads the game well. Some of his passes were into areas where he should not have passed and got us in trouble once or twice but that was more to do with the lack of control of the receiver of the pass than anything else. Having said all that he shouldn't be a regular starting games just yet and we need at least one more centre back signing. 

• Like 1