BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ashley Phillips - signs a new deal

Breakout performance today from the young man.  Bossed Karlan Grant all game who many on here would have been happy to come here.  The lad didn't put a foot wrong.

What next?  For me he needs to be put on a par with our top earner and given a 5 year contract.  Make sure he knows he is first taxi off the rank and phase him into the first team over the next 12/18 months. Spurs won't offer him that so he'd be a mug to leave at this stage.

💫

• Like 6

Absolutely. If the money is there, pay him well. Has shown his talent at Rovers and England youth levels. More importantly today he proved he is a big lad who wins his duels at a proper level. Signs so far says he’ll do well.

We’ve paid loan centre backs well in recent years (Tosin, Harwood Bellis, Van Hecke) and I’m sure we’ll be paying Van Den Berg well. No reason for us not to give Phillips at least that level of money.

At the very least it’s a sound investment for a player who will almost definitely be worth a moderate amount soon, and will possibly be worth a large amount.

• Like 3

It will be very difficult keeping him. 
All I can say is that I’m far more optimistic about keeping him under the current management than I would have been with Mowbray. I’m convinced Philips wouldn’t have even played today and somebody like Travis would have dropped into the back 4. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Don Said said:

At the very least it’s a sound investment for a player who will almost definitely be worth a moderate amount soon, and will possibly be worth a large amount.

As a business decision to give him 1m per year is nothing if we end up with 20m+ when he eventually goes.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He should not be on par with our highest earner.

Absolutely, would sow absolute chaos in the dressing room if a player who has played one professional game is put on Ayala money...

That said offer him the same money as Wharton and first team football. Spurs can offer the money but they can't offer football. No player I've heard of has given up first team Championship football for academy football. If we give him games we are in a very strong position in negotiations. I'm sure he will sign.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Aqualung said:

If playing first team football in the championship he should be paid accordingly. 

Plus, if he's fit for the Reading game, give him a shirt with the sponsors name on it as today, he was the only player on the park without one. Bit amateurish was that. 

He's not old enough to wear the sponsor. 

Get that sponsor off all the shirts anyway, it's absolute dog shite.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Absolutely, would sow absolute chaos in the dressing room if a player who has played one professional game is put on Ayala money...

What were they all doing at 17.?  They would understand the situation 

Edited by Sparks Rover

7 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

That said offer him the same money as Wharton and first team football. Spurs can offer the money but they can't offer football. No player I've heard of has given up first team Championship football for academy football. If we give him games we are in a very strong position in negotiations. I'm sure he will sign.

There are hardly any 17 year olds who get to play in the Championship but I would point out that Harvey Elliot had already played Premier League football for Fulham when he opted to leave to join the Liverpool academy.

As a general point I think posters on here are underestimating just how big a financial package Spurs could offer Phillips plus the lure for players of the big Champions League clubs.

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

100%. A season in and around the first team will do wonders for his development, and in a years time he will be fielding multiple suitors who will all be offering him a massive wage and more chance of game time in the prem. we could offer a reasonable release clause to sweeten the deal, and if we continue as we are we’ll be in the premier league next season guaranteeing him first team football. 

• Like 2

Although I'm not totally certain I have a recollection that we gave Phil Jones a new deal not long after his debut when the £17m clause was inserted. Last week will have alerted the big boys to what a talent he is so we need to move fast. For me it's a risk offering him a bumper deal but it's a calculated risk given his potential.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

down to Ash Phillips to decide his future here and sign the contract on the table. 

No way he should be one of top earners at that age. Crazy people are suggesting that idea at all

Ye, crazy suggestion to make him a fully fledged squad member.

11 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Breakout performance today from the young man.  Bossed Karlan Grant all game who many on here would have been happy to come here.  The lad didn't put a foot wrong.

What next?  For me he needs to be put on a par with our top earner and given a 5 year contract.  Make sure he knows he is first taxi off the rank and phase him into the first team over the next 12/18 months. Spurs won't offer him that so he'd be a mug to leave at this stage.

💫

There is no way we will pay him that kind of money at the moment.

Spurs or whoever fancies him at the top level will pay him a decent wage, probably 3 or 4 times more than we would offer him.

Then he will probably end up at this level on loan playing regular football anyway.

I don't see how he stays unfortunately. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ye, crazy suggestion to make him a fully fledged squad member.

I don't think anyones got a problem with putting him on a decent first team wage. The issue would be putting him on more or equivalent money than our best performers - the likes of Travis, Buckley, Brereton, Ayala, Kaminski - which would be bizarre imo.. If you were any of those players you would be absolutely livid.

I sincerely doubt Spurs are going to offer him that much more to go into the U21s than we currently pay Wharton etc. We've shown we are competitive with Spurs academy by signing Markanday, who was - like Phillips - marked as an exceptional talent .

Maybe I'm wrong but as long as we play him we've got a great chance of signing him.

3 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

There is no way we will pay him that kind of money at the moment.

Spurs or whoever fancies him at the top level will pay him a decent wage, probably 3 or 4 times more than we would offer him.

Then he will probably end up at this level on loan playing regular football anyway.

I don't see how he stays unfortunately. 

If he gets signed to go into the spurs first team squad this is true, but I don't think that's what this is about. They want to poach him for their academy.

That he's playing first team football for us is a game changer imo, and puts us back in the driving seat.

I think we have to be realistic in that any offer we make him needs to give him parity of esteem with other first team players. I really hate giving young players big contracts too early, but we need to signal to Phillips that we recognise his value and we can't do that by offering him a contract which doesn't put him alongside other established players.

BUT I don't think throwing all the money we can at him is i) a good idea and ii) likely to work anyway. The biggest thing we can offer him by far is the stage to showcase his talent, so that when he does get his likely move to a top Prem club, he'll be in a much stronger position to go as a player who will compete for games rather than get farmed out on loan. That may not be enough, but if he's smart then an extra £10k a week will be the secondary concern to game time.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I don't think anyones got a problem with putting him on a decent first team wage. The issue would be putting him on more or equivalent money than our best performers - the likes of Travis, Buckley, Brereton, Ayala, Kaminski - which would be bizarre imo.. If you were any of those players you would be absolutely livid.

I sincerely doubt Spurs are going to offer him that much more to go into the U21s than we currently pay Wharton etc. We've shown we are competitive with Spurs academy by signing Markanday, who was - like Phillips - marked as an exceptional talent .

Maybe I'm wrong but as long as we play him we've got a great chance of signing him.

I agree that there is a risk attached but a blind man on a galloping horse can see the dynamics at play here and I'm not sure the players you have mentioned would be livid tbh. He is clearly a precocious talent. Let's put it this way if he fucked off to Spurs and we missed out on promotion because we were short of a quality defender they'd be pretty livid at not getting their big promotion bonus wouldn't they?  

• Like 3

I think you have to push the boat out.

I wouldn't offer him parity with Ayala, as that's a contract we can't really afford, but definitely parity with first team players.

I was hugely impressed with him yesterday - he was everything that he's been hyped to be.

Pay him now and provide him with first team football in the Championship - it would be a travesty to lose him for pennies on the dollar.

• Like 4

We should offer him a good wage on a long contract, £10-15k a week is nothing for a player of his potential.

This time next year he could be our star boy, and the envy of most clubs in the country. If we manage to tie him down long-term and the big PL teams get desperate for him, we could be looking at absolute mega bucks.

Do what needs to be done Rovers, he'll be worth 'Jude Bellingham money' by the time he's 20.

• Like 5

It would be very foolish of Rovers not to offer Phillips a very attractive package along with the probability of extended game time. The game time is our biggest selling point to put him on the world stage.

However JDT knows our early success(such as it is)has come from great team spirit & camaradarie aka the sum is bigger than the parts, so sensible to plan for him to go for nothing as well. Hence bring in at least one extra central defender for if/when Ayala is injured.