BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ashley Phillips - signs a new deal

23 minutes ago, TimmyJimmy said:

Bit underwhelmed by the 3 years. Not exactly gagging at the bit to be part of the long term setup is he. 5 years would have been more like it for a 17 year old. Smacks of reluctantly doing us a favour.

3 years works for both parties. 

If he develops like they think he will then when Prem teams come knocking in 12 months time we have some leverage.

Conversely if he was just a flat track bully and doesn't develop then we can move on.

Hopefully for all concerned it's the former and we can sign him onto a longer contract ourselves as a PL club.

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

3 years works for both parties. 

If he develops like they think he will then when Prem teams come knocking in 12 months time we have some leverage.

Conversely if he was just a flat track bully and doesn't develop then we can move on.

Hopefully for all concerned it's the former and we can sign him onto a longer contract ourselves as a PL club.

Apparently is is the maximum you can do for a player of his age. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TimmyJimmy said:

Bit underwhelmed by the 3 years. Not exactly gagging at the bit to be part of the long term setup is he. 5 years would have been more like it for a 17 year old. Smacks of reluctantly doing us a favour.

You can only offer a 3 year contract at that age of 17. These are the rules

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimmyJimmy said:

Smacks of adhering to the rules.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Good pace! Really. Pace is Never something that springs to mind when i think of Sutton

You must have watched a lot of Norwich then because there's no way you could judge that from the few cameos he played back there for us

I said good pace - not that he was Bellamy quick. You obviously thought he wasn't that good when you watched him play centre half for Rovers. The game is all about opinions - I thought he had potential to be an excellent centre half. 

35 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I said good pace - not that he was Bellamy quick. You obviously thought he wasn't that good when you watched him play centre half for Rovers. The game is all about opinions - I thought he had potential to be an excellent centre half. 

Sutton played a few times in Europe for Celtic at centre half and looked like he’d played there all his life.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Andy said:

Both this and A.Wharton's contract is a big statement that we're no longer operating under the halfwit operational management that saw the likes of Nyambe, Rothwell and our club captain walk away for free this summer.

I think you rally need to understand this point, its very clear - THE PLAYERS REFUSED TO SIGN DEALS OFFERED TO THEM !

Rothwell wanted out for over 12 months because of his WAG.

Nyambe - came crawling back once it was clear he want going to the PL, agreed a deal and went back on those terms hence the club withdrew the offer - he now finds himself at might Wiggin earning no more cash than he was already on at Ewood and without a signing on fee (his deal was 12 months and he didnt get one!).

Lenihan - huffed and puffed over 2 years, again, believing he was premier league bound and finally got an offer he was agreeable to but opted to sign for the huge club that is Boro as they appeared to fit in with his PL ambition. Look where he is??

Edited by 1864roverite
  • Like 1

Fantastic news about young Ash. He clearly has huge potential and his size means he didn't look too out of place in the back-to-back games he played recently. However; he obviously still needs to be eased in to the side and I think he has taken a very sensible decision career wise to stay with us. He will get games and I genuinely think Broughton and JDT will help nurture his talent in a sensible and managed way.

Still needs lots of development and experience to be a first team regular but that will come in time by getting more minutes in the first team in a managed way.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I think you rally need to understand this point, its very clear - THE PLAYERS REFUSED TO SIGN DEALS OFFERED TO THEM !

Rothwell wanted out for over 12 months because of his WAG.

Nyambe - came crawling back once it was clear he want going to the PL, agreed a deal and went back on those terms hence the club withdrew the offer - he now finds himself at might Wiggin earning no more cash than he was already on at Ewood and without a signing on fee (his deal was 12 months and he didnt get one!).

Lenihan - huffed and puffed over 2 years, again, believing he was premier league bound and finally got an offer he was agreeable to but opted to sign for the huge club that is Boro as they appeared to fit in with his PL ambition. Look where he is??

I think the fact is that all 3 aren't actually THAT good but most of the frustration comes from the fact that all 3 have left for nothing.

I didn't cry over any of them going, although I think it would have been prudent to keep Nyambe as he can cover a couple of positions and I think he would have complimented a back 3 given his size and pace (see Walker for England).

I'll be amazed if Rothwell ever becomes a regular starter for Bournemouth and I'm sure he will get loaned out in January, and Lenihan has never really been that great IMHO. He's an average defender with diabolical distribution

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

You might be happy to shrug your shoulders about the whole situation and absolve anyone currently employed by Rovers of any responsibility for it, but Broughton doesn’t seem to share your view. That’s blindingly evident from his words and actions.

They have acknowledged there is an issue with retaining our assets and I’m delighted to see they appear to be learning from their mistakes and prevent a similar situation happening again.

You'd never have seen Waggott going back to offer Wharton a new deal less than 6 months after his initial one was signed. Broughton has an entirely different remit. Waggott’s priority is cost cutting, Broughton is concerned with what happens on the pitch. That’s the real positive about this new structure. I had some initial concerns about the whole set up but it looks as though Broughton has been given plenty of autonomy (thankfully!), which was essential to make it work.

Another point which is very clear - EVERYONE KNOWS THAT THE PLAYERS REFUSED TO SIGN THE DEALS ON OFFER. ITS PRETTY OBVIOUS CONSIDERING THEY ALL LEFT. What people have an issue with is the manner of negotiations and offers that were made. You can add Tomasson to the list of people not happy with losing these players for nothing too, in case you haven’t listened to him.

You have no idea about what negotiations went on or what offers were made. We know the players left for nothing which is a massive problem, but if they were determined to run down their contracts and not sign with us, what can we do?

I’m not saying that the club couldn’t have done more but equally I can’t say that the club did nothing to try and retain them.

Diaz will likely leave for nothing next year because he will run his contract down, is that the club’s fault? It’s a two way street.

4 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Not at all, i thought he always did a solid job!! I just don't remember him being the same type of defender as you do! But my memory isn't always the best, it was a looong time ago

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

You have no idea about what negotiations went on or what offers were made. We know the players left for nothing which is a massive problem, but if they were determined to run down their contracts and not sign with us, what can we do?

I’m not saying that the club couldn’t have done more but equally I can’t say that the club did nothing to try and retain them.

Diaz will likely leave for nothing next year because he will run his contract down, is that the club’s fault? It’s a two way street

We do know that there has been an issue for a number of years with academy graduates being underpaid compared to other players, Rich Sharpe again stated so this week. We also know negotiations were paused for a massive period during Covid and we activated year options - this tactic has become really problematic as we aren’t using it as an added layer of protection but a can kicking exercise. Players wouldn’t just be determined to run their contracts down for the sake of it, nor would they cut off their nose to spite their face. If we have offered the maximum terms we are prepared to, fine, but by all accounts we should’ve got there a damn sight quicker with Lenihan.

Clearly there is a realisation we need to do better with regards to contracts. It will come too late for Brereton (year extension in our favour proving to be a double edged sword that enables complacency once again) but I’m just glad there seems to be an acknowledgement from the powers that be, even if not from some of our fans, and more importantly a strategy to prevent it happening going forward.

Even if you absolve the club of all blame and it’s all on the players for running down their contracts, then the club are wrong for supposedly building a model around developing and selling on players. It fell at the first hurdle this summer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I did start by saying I agree that Philips current position is centre half. I was just pointing out that players sometimes start in one position - but end up in another. It would be interesting to know whether he has ever been deployed as a striker in his short career. 

The poster I was answering to, was stating that Phillips should be tried in attack. I disagree with that opinion.

23 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

BB should’ve had an offer on the table  18 months ago ago, just like SG had with two years left on his existing deal. He would most likely have jumped at the chance to re-sign back then, as did SG.

18 months ago, people where doubting that BB should be in the first team, never mind getting a new contract. Isn't hindsight great. Now, I wish I had gone on holiday to Thailand, instead of getting married. But I just have to live with my decisions.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1