BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Worst Match You’ve Ever Seen…

Wasn’t so much a bad game, just a bad beat that I can’t seem to erase from my mind. It was about 10-15 years ago at Ewood against Bolton. We DOMINATED the game but Bolton led 0-1 against the run of play. We missed a penalty on about 90 mins, and then missed another on 93 mins or something. Benni McCarthy era. Disgusting beat.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, norwichblue said:

Wasn’t so much a bad game, just a bad beat that I can’t seem to erase from my mind. It was about 10-15 years ago at Ewood against Bolton. We DOMINATED the game but Bolton led 0-1 against the run of play. We missed a penalty on about 90 mins, and then missed another on 93 mins or something. Benni McCarthy era. Disgusting beat.

That was a horrible one. Made worse for Rovers fans of a certain generation who were starved of genuine Lancashire derbies growing up and had to make do with treating Bolton as our rivals as a result. It was amazing how our fortunes seemed to mirror each other for about 10 years.

Fortunately we had a decent run against them after that. Not long later we came back to beat them 2-1 after Kevin Nolan - who always hated us for some reason - scored as good a goal as you'll ever see. Cue a Samba header and Jason Roberts scoring from a massive deflection in the last minute. There was still chance for them to still have an Ivan Campo equaliser wrongly disallowed, so that went some way to make up for it!

3 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

That was a horrible one. Made worse for Rovers fans of a certain generation who were starved of genuine Lancashire derbies growing up and had to make do with treating Bolton as our rivals as a result. It was amazing how our fortunes seemed to mirror each other for about 10 years.

Fortunately we had a decent run against them after that. Not long later we came back to beat them 2-1 after Kevin Nolan - who always hated us for some reason - scored as good a goal as you'll ever see. Cue a Samba header and Jason Roberts scoring from a massive deflection in the last minute. There was still chance for them to still have an Ivan Campo equaliser wrongly disallowed, so that went some way to make up for it!

I wouldn't class he 0-1 as one of the wort games I've ever seen. The result and the way Bolton scored was a kick in the knackers but the game itself wasn't awful. 

I watched the 2-1 win with a couple of Bolton fans. That was satisfying. My memory has Roberts clean through and scoring, although in typical Roberts style he nearly fluffed it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I wouldn't class he 0-1 as one of the wort games I've ever seen. The result and the way Bolton scored was a kick in the knackers but the game itself wasn't awful. 

I watched the 2-1 win with a couple of Bolton fans. That was satisfying. My memory has Roberts clean through and scoring, although in typical Roberts style he nearly fluffed it.

Yeah he shinned it in from about 20 yards out.

• Backroom

Probably would have missed if he'd hit it cleanly. Lad was a nightmare when it came to one-on-ones with time to think. Especially ironic considering the infamous (BBC, I think?) one-on-one training video he did whilst playing for us. Roberts was a decent instinctive striker of the ball, though.  

• Like 2

On 20/10/2022 at 10:07, Admiral Nelsen said:

For me Bolton will always be rivals. Manchester road and the railway end, in the Seventies, was a daunting place to be a Rovers fan.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

There was a 0-0 at Ewood against Swindon in early 2000 that's up there for me. Us rooted in mid table and them rock bottom.

‘There’s no easy games in this division, except maybe against Ipswich at home’

For some reason I think it was Shearer who said it. We then went and lost the match.

1 hour ago, Dreyski said:

‘There’s no easy games in this division, except maybe against Ipswich at home’

For some reason I think it was Shearer who said it. We then went and lost the match.

Yeah he made that joke in March 95 after Utd had just beat them 9-0.

It came back to haunt him 9 months later when Ipswich come to Ewood as a championship side in the FA Cup and beat us 1-0.

Another woeful game.

• Like 1

• J*B unpinned this topic
On 17/10/2022 at 18:43, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I went to the Oldham game. I remember Bennett getting in on the left wing, rounding the keeper, then hitting the post with an empty goal to aim at. In the first half.

Whatever happened to the World Class Right back that Mowbray feared so much he changed his team and tactics for. He must be a Galactico by now surely?

• Like 1