BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Worst Match You’ve Ever Seen…

On 08/10/2022 at 12:00, roverandout said:

Rovers 0 crewe 0 I think it was when tony parkes was in charge before souness arrived 

This may be the same game I'm thinking about. December time 2000 I think. It was awful. My mind has it a 1-0 loss. Their keeper was a bit eccentric. 

Some others from over the years;

Losing at home to Ipswich early 1991-92 season. It may have been Don Mackay's last game. Terrible.

Man U winning at Ewood in 94-95. Berg should never have been sent off.

Sheff Wed away 1998-99 ish. Fettis in goal. A calamity game. 

Wigan away under Ince. Was it 4-1? Valencia ran amok.

Allardyce's flirtation with Herold Goulon at Old Trafford. 

Bolton at home under Kean. Nasty atmosphere. Kean should have gone after the final whistle blew. 

Has anyone mentioned the 7-0 defeat to Fulham last season? It was a car crash. Mowbray should have walked after that debacle. 

The entire 2010 World Cup in South Africa was crap from start to finish too. England were awful. There weren't many good games. Spain bored their way to winning it, albeit with a fantastic team. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

This may be the same game I'm thinking about. December time 2000 I think. It was awful. My mind has it a 1-0 loss. Their keeper was a bit eccentric. 

Losing at home to Ipswich early 1991-92 season. It may have been Don Mackay's last game. Terrible.

Bolton at home under Kean. Nasty atmosphere. Kean should have gone after the final whistle blew. 

Has anyone mentioned the 7-0 defeat to Fulham last season? It was a car crash. Mowbray should have walked after that debacle. 

The entire 2010 World Cup in South Africa was crap from start to finish too. England were awful. There weren't many good games. Spain bored their way to winning it, albeit with a fantastic team. 

I remember the Ipswich game. Speedie got our consolation goal right at the death. We were awful. It’s famous for being Stuart Munro’s only game in spite of us spending  £650,000 on him. I think that was the final straw for Jack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Correct in that Crewe was a 1-0 loss. There's a video somewhere on Youtube of their keeper's heroics. Some may argue it was Ashley Ward and co making him look good mind 😅

Wigan away was 3-0 but was a total disaster. Ince had to go after that!

Forgot our 4-0 thumping at Bolton in all of this too under Bowyer - awful. A 1-0 late defeat there in 2013 wasn't great either. Come to think of it, had a few shockers there - 2-1 last minute defeat in Sam's last game, the 2-0 defeat under Kean.

I still would have to say that Kean's era was my least enjoyable watching Rovers. Because of everything going on behind the scenes and in his interviews, I drew no pleasure from our games and even the wins were somewhat tainted by both disgust at what our club had become, the way fans would be derided by Kean/his media cronies and the fact it always kept him in the job. Every game was played under a cloud - through no fault of the fans who went. Wigan and Bolton at home were both particular low points, but it was a truly horrible time. 

• Like 1

From what I remember about the infamous Crewe game it wasn’t that it was bad it was frustrating. Now I was about 11 when I watched this so could be way off but I remember us having chance after chance after chance but it not going in and then doing is with a sucker punch with there goalkeeper being outstanding.

Definitely most infuriating but not one of the worst for entertainment when contrasted with the Cardiff game the other night for example

• Like 2

England 2 West Germany 3, World Cup quarter-final 1970

Probably the most shattering defeat in my lifetime. England were 2-0 up and cruising, then Alf Ramsey took Bobby Charlton off and it all changed. England were a better team than they were in 1966, including the great Sir Keith, and it went horribly wrong. Horrendous to watch and it still hurts now

• Like 3

Losing 1-0 at home to Leicester in our promotion season was painful to watch. I can still see Russell's goal in my mind's eye, Bloody agony.

For some reason what really stands out is the image of some young lad stood on top of the railing at the top of the stairs to see the game. I remember thinking if I tried that I'd break my neck. Funny the things you remember.

57 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Probably the most shattering defeat in my lifetime. England were 2-0 up and cruising, then Alf Ramsey took Bobby Charlton off and it all changed. England were a better team than they were in 1966, including the great Sir Keith, and it went horribly wrong. Horrendous to watch and it still hurts now

It's in my top 2, beaten only by a disaster at Palace which was also a bloody awful performance by Rovers.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

It went wrong before he took Charlton off. Charlton was supposed to be man marking Beckenbauer and he let him run through from centre midfield to score the German opening goal. Charlton was subbed right after that, he was knackered.

On 09/10/2022 at 13:54, 1864roverite said:

We once played Huddersfield at home at Christmas or new year - In the 80’s it was a shockingly bad game far worse than we have seen in recent times and is to r only time I have ever whizzed a scarf to the floor I was so disgusted having travelled half way across the world to watch it!🤬🤬🤬

Bobby Saxton's last game in charge

On 10/10/2022 at 13:10, Norbert Rassragr said:

The worst Rovers games I had been to were the 5-0 loss to Coventry in the 1995/96 season, a dull 0-0 draw also against Coventry (I think we were in a yellow kit with CIS as the sponsor), and the godawful loss in the Charity Shield in 1995.

Wasn't Flowers sent off as a non-playing sub?

2 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I was on about the Huddersfield game mentioned earlier for Saxtons last game. The Coventry game was the Flowers' sending off

Yes I know.

I was answering your question "Wasn't Flowers sent off as a non playing sub".

He was, but it wasn't in the 5-0 defeat or the 0-0 draw there the year after, it was in a 2-0 defeat in April 1998.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

I am not sure he will last the season out...

Who's the sacker? Broughton?  Not so sure,  although I did say a few weeks back, Tesco strikes me as the kind of bloke that would love sacking his mates replacement 

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1