BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Worst Match You’ve Ever Seen…

On 10/10/2022 at 18:39, jim mk2 said:

5-0 defeat at home to Manchester United in 1964-65. Charlton scored three, Law was brilliant. It was awful, it really upset me and as a youngster I couldn't handle it. 

i think that was the game i took my younger brother to. we got in at the blackburn end it was packed out with mancs. the mancs picked up my brother and passed him over their heads to the front while i squeezed through the crowd to the front then me and brother made our way round to the darwen end.

On 10/10/2022 at 16:46, Oldgregg86 said:

From what I remember about the infamous Crewe game it wasn’t that it was bad it was frustrating. Now I was about 11 when I watched this so could be way off but I remember us having chance after chance after chance but it not going in and then doing is with a sucker punch with there goalkeeper being outstanding.

Definitely most infuriating but not one of the worst for entertainment when contrasted with the Cardiff game the other night for example

The most memorable thing for me from the Crewe game was two rovers fans fighting each other in the away end, before the game had even begun. Both got arrested. I reckon they got off lightly in the end compared to the rest of us.

• Like 2

Fulham at home last season was the first time I'd encountered anything like that as a Rovers supporter, in my lifetime.

Seen us dish out plenty of thrashings, but it was a new event to see it happen to us - one I have no desire to see anytime soon again.

2 for me…

1- Losing to Swindon away under Brian Kidd after we were relegated from the PL.

I had just moved to Swindon and convinced loads of new friends to come to the match.  They were bottom, massive financial troubles - heavens opened and we were swept away to a miserable defeat.

2 - Losing 3-0 to Spurs at Ewood under Roy Hodgson. This was as were started the slide from 2nd.

I’d gone to the match with my Spurs season ticket holder flat mate. He wasn’t smug, oh no, much worse. Driving back he got onto 606 to say it was the worst Spurs team he had seen, clueless under Christian Gross and that he had no idea how any team could lose to Spurs, let alone 3-0.  Mind you as it soon turned out we were genuinely just worse.

• Like 1

Just now, sympatheticclaret said:

To lift the doom and gloom  and confirm my generosity of spirit, may I nominate Blackburn v Burnley on April Fools day, 2001 ... The one thing of which I am sure is that, with the possible exception of " Longsiders ", absolutely no one else posting on here will agree with my selection ! 🤣

After the worthington cup final win against spurs , the greatest day of my rovers supporting life 

BLUE ARMY

5 hours ago, sympatheticclaret said:

To lift the doom and gloom  and confirm my generosity of spirit, may I nominate Blackburn v Burnley on April Fools day, 2001 ... The one thing of which I am sure is that, with the possible exception of " Longsiders ", absolutely no one else posting on here will agree with my selection ! 🤣

Conversely that is one of my favourites 😄

Three candidates...take your pick.

1991-92 Away at Port Vale attempting to halt a horrible slide out of the play offs. Big Rovers turn out in away end...none of the first 11 bothered. Felt like we'd blown it then.

2013 FA Cup Quarter Final replay against Millwall. As good a chance at an Cup Semi at Wembley as we are likely to get for a generation. Appletons tactics to this day baffle me, 90 minutes of long balls onto Danny Shittus head. 8,000 on at Ewood didnt help.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21735715

2022 Easter Monday, Stoke at home. Worst game ever, that's it ! 

5 hours ago, Ozz said:

Three candidates...take your pick.

1991-92 Away at Port Vale attempting to halt a horrible slide out of the play offs. Big Rovers turn out in away end...none of the first 11 bothered. Felt like we'd blown it then.

2013 FA Cup Quarter Final replay against Millwall. As good a chance at an Cup Semi at Wembley as we are likely to get for a generation. Appletons tactics to this day baffle me, 90 minutes of long balls onto Danny Shittus head. 8,000 on at Ewood didnt help.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21735715

2022 Easter Monday, Stoke at home. Worst game ever, that's it ! 

I'd airbrushed that Port Vale game out of my memory. Was truly dire!!

• Like 1

Lots of the prime candidates have been mentioned. 

One that hasn't and sticks out for me is when we lost onetime to manure 2-0 in torrential rain. Think it was under Big Sam. All I remember is being soaked both on the way to and on the way back from the game, us not laying a glove on manure and them not getting out of first gear. 

17 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Chesterfield at home in, umm, 73? We were pushing for promotion, had lost to them at home but then, miraculously, the game had to be replayed due to them fielding an ineligible player, and we lost again and missed promotion by two points.

Isn't that the game , when a dart was thrown at the Chesterfield goalkeeper ??

The 1-0 defeat at Oldham in the recent League 1 campaign was a particular low. I can’t remember anything happening other than their last minute winner. Awful stuff. The first game back in Division 1 after relegation under Kidd, a turgid 0-0 with the mighty Port Vale…setting the scene for the rest of the season. Everton at Ewood in late 1995, Flitcroft’s early debut red and a Kanchelskis masterclass. If I try and think of any more I’ll send myself into a stupor 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

The 1-0 defeat at Oldham in the recent League 1 campaign was a particular low. I can’t remember anything happening other than their last minute winner. Awful stuff. The first game back in Division 1 after relegation under Kidd, a turgid 0-0 with the mighty Port Vale…setting the scene for the rest of the season. Everton at Ewood in late 1995, Flitcroft’s early debut red and a Kanchelskis masterclass. If I try and think of any more I’ll send myself into a stupor 

I went to the Oldham game. I remember Bennett getting in on the left wing, rounding the keeper, then hitting the post with an empty goal to aim at. In the first half.

The worst game for actually nothing happening (good or bad) for me was Elland Road on New Years Day 1996.

Anyone remember it? Thought not.

We drove over and it was so dull it was laughable. I just found this report whilst checking up on the date, which perfectly corresponds with my recollections.

Edited by Hasta

1 hour ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

That Oldham game gets glossed over slightly because our upturn in form came just after it. That and the next local away against Bury was much, much better. It was a shocker though, to be sure. 

8 minutes ago, Hasta said:

The worst game for actually nothing happening (good or bad) for me was Elland Road on New Years Day 1996.

We drove over and it was so dull it was laughable. I just found this report whilst checking up on the date, which perfectly corresponds with my recollections.

I actually remember that - I was only a kid, but remember offering Tim Flowers a bit of my Yorkie in the warm up. Declined, for some reason.

Sure we got beat 0-2 at their place in the cup, around the same time as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

Couldn't have told you the year, but think I was at that one.  It was as though all 22 had been on the razz all night on NY Eve and couldn't be arsed running around

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

Everton at Ewood in late 1995, Flitcroft’s early debut red and a Kanchelskis masterclass. If I try and think of any more I’ll send myself into a stupor 

I was at that Everton game. March 1996. Amokachi and Kanchelskis caused us all kinds of problems. We couldn't live with the latter's pace that day. The red card for Flitcroft ruined the game for us though, to be honest.