BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Worst Match You’ve Ever Seen…

2 hours ago, Laurence said:

Could be wrong but it seemed to me that Tevez  was offside, he punched the ball and it didn’t cross the line, but the goal stood, turns out he was also ineligible to play, nothing dodgy about that then. 

Starts just after 2:35. The ball didn't even look like it could have crossed the line, even the commentator immediately says blocked on the line by Tevez. Tevez being on the line was obviously offside when it was hit at him. Think you could also argue Tevez collided enough with Friedel for a foul. And the replay doesn't show it well but whilst it wasn't a punch, I'm sure the multi angle replays at the time revealed a potential handball contact, I think it's from after Tevez goes for the ball the first time and it flicks up at another West Ham player. And of course, Tevez shouldn't have been playing. I consider it the most illegal goal I've ever seen and I still talk about it. I was telling a Newcastle fan about it just yesterday.

As the highlights show, Bentley then later got sent off for a second yellow because Lucash pushed him on the fringe of the penalty area and it caused his arm to come up and connect with the ball.

West Ham put that video up 2 years ago, and I think they've got some bloody cheek doing so! I'd expect them to hide footage of that game forevermore.

• Like 1

We once played Huddersfield at home at Christmas or new year - In the 80’s it was a shockingly bad game far worse than we have seen in recent times and is to r only time I have ever whizzed a scarf to the floor I was so disgusted having travelled half way across the world to watch it!🤬🤬🤬

Had to double check these as I was relatively young at the time but away at Man City and West Brom in the league in 05/06. Drew 0-0 and lost 2-0 respectively but I don't think we had a meaningful attack in either. Obviously neither have the gravitas of Millwall for Wembley or Spurs or Wigan in our last days in the PL but both were an awakening for younger me as to how, let's be honest, shit it can be on occasion.

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

We once played Huddersfield at home at Christmas or new year - In the 80’s it was a shockingly bad game far worse than we have seen in recent times and is to r only time I have ever whizzed a scarf to the floor I was so disgusted having travelled half way across the world to watch it!🤬🤬🤬

We lost 2 nil , I think and it was bloody freezing .....

Complete opposite performance to winning at Huddersfield in a snow storm , the season before , I think it was anyway ..

On 08/10/2022 at 17:25, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That Cup Final must take the medal. Dougan asks for a transfer on the day of the game, then plays carrying an injury and breaks down after 5 minutes. Mick McGrath puts through his own goal then Dave Whelan breaks his leg with no subs. All this on a blazing hot day. A Cup Final that we’d waited for for years and the game was over at half time ! Plus the following fall out from the ticket scandal.

I don’t like that cup final loss but at least Wolves were a top flight team. 
Harder to take for me as a 14 year old was the loss to fourth division Oxford Utd in the 1964 fifth round FA Cup tie at the Manor Ground. We were top of Division 1, I think, and we had a wonderful team. Oxford had been a non league team two years previously and worse still their captain was Ron Atkinson! I’ve hated them to this day. 

We lost 3-1 , I just could not believe it. They drew PNE in the 6th round and were beaten, Nob Enders went all the way to the final. 

22 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

I don’t like that cup final loss but at least Wolves were a top flight team. 
Harder to take for me as a 14 year old was the loss to fourth division Oxford Utd in the 1964 fifth round FA Cup tie at the Manor Ground. We were top of Division 1, I think, and we had a wonderful team. Oxford had been a non league team two years previously and worse still their captain was Ron Atkinson! I’ve hated them to this day. 

We lost 3-1 , I just could not believe it. They drew PNE in the 6th round and were beaten, Nob Enders went all the way to the final. 

Yeah I know. I’d been playing that day and we all used to jump off the bus in town outside the Radio Rentals TV shop to see the scores coming in on the teleprinter on the TV’s in the window. When it came up Oxford Utd 3- Blackburn Rovers 1 we all said that must be wrong it’ll probably be the other way around. That used to happen from time to time but not this time.

A similar shock was when I opened the first paper on my paper round to see - Blackburn Rovers 1- Workington 5 .

• Like 3

0-0 at home to Yeovil in April 2014 takes some beating for me. A must win game as we were hovering close to the top 6. I think a win would have had us in there with a couple of games to go.

Instead, we put in a shocker and dropped vital points. It was my first game back at Ewood after two years and to see that against Yeovil really hit home the damage that had been done to the club.

I remember looking around Ewood that day, the place was lifeless, the performance was lifeless, nothing was how it was before. You could feel and see the damage. I went home gutted and fuming, not due to the result necessarily, but because of what the bastards had reduced the club to.

That feeling has never left me, as they have continued to lower the standards year upon year, whilst giving us some guff about how they want promotion. They can get stuffed. That might work on some of the fans, but some of us see straight through that PR bullshit.

Another game to add to the thread, United at home in 2011 when they spent the last 15 minutes passing to themselves in their own half and we just let them do it! I get that the point was important for us too, but I'd have preferred us to have a go at them to prevent them celebrating a title win at Ewood.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

0-0 at home to Yeovil in April 2014 takes some beating for me. A must win game as we were hovering close to the top 6. I think a win would have had us in there with a couple of games to go.

Instead, we put in a shocker and dropped vital points. It was my first game back at Ewood after two years and to see that against Yeovil really hit home the damage that had been done to the club.

I remember looking around Ewood that day, the place was lifeless, the performance was lifeless, nothing was how it was before. You could feel and see the damage. I went home gutted and fuming, not due to the result necessarily, but because of what the bastards had reduced the club to.

That feeling has never left me, as they have continued to lower the standards year upon year, whilst giving us some guff about how they want promotion. They can get stuffed. That might work on some of the fans, but some of us see straight through that PR bullshit.

Another game to add to the thread, United at home in 2011 when they spent the last 15 minutes passing to themselves in their own half and we just let them do it! I get that the point was important for us too, but I'd have preferred us to have a go at them to prevent them celebrating a title win at Ewood.

I was thinking of posting this one too, partially because it was the second game in a disappointment-double-header with a 3-3 draw away at Hillsborough a few days earlier. A beautiful day with the Rovers well on top in the first hour, only to let it slip with the last touch of the game. 

The Sheff Weds game stuck with me more than the Yeovil game because of how we let it slip at the death, but collectively those games cost us at the end of the season massively. 

On 08/10/2022 at 14:21, Tom said:

Was that the one just after Christmas a couple of games into Keans tenure? 0-0?

That was 2011! 

This was the year West Ham cheated to win the game and to stay up. Never been more angry leaving Ewood.

As for other bad games (will just do ones I attended rather than watched):

• Rovers 0-1 Crewe (2000)
  • Man United 7-1 Rovers (2010)
  • Take your pick from trips to Cardiff

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

I can recall a cloudy miserable day against Stockport County,  with Mark Hughes in the dugout. I am not sure if either side got a shot on goal in a boring 0-0 draw.I think it was the year we were promoted back to the Premier League.

that was under souness i think,in our promotion year,it was around easter time,stockport had no interest in playing football,their primary aim was to kick us off the park,we withstood it well and all in all in was a point gained rather than 2 lost

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

that was under souness i think,in our promotion year,it was around easter time,stockport had no interest in playing football,their primary aim was to kick us off the park,we withstood it well and all in all in was a point gained rather than 2 lost

Wasn’t Shefti Kuqi playing for them ?

32 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

The worst Rovers games I had been to were the 5-0 loss to Coventry in the 1995/96 season, a dull 0-0 draw also against Coventry (I think we were in a yellow kit with CIS as the sponsor), and the godawful loss in the Charity Shield in 1995.

My first ever Rovers game 😁

The old Wembley stadium was a worn out crap pile by then, with terrible transport links if you're coming from outside London. I remember when people were getting all misty eyed about the Twin Towers (no not those towers) and all that when t was being knocked down. I was happy to see it demolished, and thought the new stadium should have been in the Midlands, but the over priced new Wembley is good.

Rovers 0- Port Vale 0 first game back in the championship, after our first relegation from the premier league.

Also remember a 3-0 defeat first game of the season at Fratton Park a few years back. I took the wife for a holiday on the south coast, knowing I had two tickets for the match, on the last day of our holiday.

She has only just forgiven me.

2 hours ago, smiller14 said:

That was 2011! 

This was the year West Ham cheated to win the game and to stay up. Never been more angry leaving Ewood.

As for other bad games (will just do ones I attended rather than watched):

• Rovers 0-1 Crewe (2000)
  • Man United 7-1 Rovers (2010)
  • Take your pick from trips to Cardiff

the 2005 semi final was`nt to great😒,only bright side was toddy smacking van persie and me missing the long journey because i was ill😊

13 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

the 2005 semi final was`nt to great😒,only bright side was toddy smacking van persie and me missing the long journey because i was ill😊

That was a tough one - went to that too. Remember loving the sea of blue and white behind the goal though at least!

The Cardiff City Stadium has largely been an unhappy hunting ground too. Off the top of my head remember an awful 1-0 defeat under Lambert, a wretched 1-1 draw under Bowyer, Duffy's own goal 'heroics' and then last week's disappointment. Then again, we won on 2 of the last 3 trips there - although both were behind closed doors!