BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Worst Match You’ve Ever Seen…

33 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

I’ll start the bidding with this…a dreadful afternoon of awful defending coupled with the very real prospect of having your face caved in as you left the Kippax after the game…

D5892086-BF51-43FE-BE55-19833FD2E65E.jpeg

That was Patty’s debut. He came on as sub. Bob Saxton told him to start warming up and when he asked who he was coming on for Sacko said something like “whoever gives the ball away next!” 😂

I recall a dour 0-1 home defeat on a miserably wet Boxing Day in the late 80s or early 90s against (I think) Notts County as being a particularly poor game.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

The World Cup group qualifying match between Austria and West Germany was embarrassing. At that time final group games were staggered and they both went into the match knowing that a low scoring win for the Germans would see both go through. They manufactured and connived a 1-0 German win by just passing the ball around in their own half with absolutely no pressure on them. It caused quite a stir and caused FIFA to change the rules so final group games kicked off simultaneously. 

• Like 4

Too many to mention really.

I was at a Lancashire Senior Cup game between Rochdale and Oldham years ago. It was a particularly cold and dreary game with no goal excitement at all. The game had gone into extra time with no signs of any improvement. My pal turned and said to me - “ The ref should make them play until they drop “.

An old guy in a flat cap was stood right  in front of us and he turned and said - “ Nah, he should make them play until they score, it’ll take longer ! “

• Like 2

At home to Millwall in the cup under Appleton and absolute travesty of an 'effort' on live tv in what should have been a do or die kind of game.  The crowd was paltry but people knew exactly what was coming which says a lot.

Numerous games under Kidd and Kean, one being when Peacock and McAteer literally ran into each other leaving a Liverpool player a free run on goal.  Think we lost 1-4 but it should have been 0-8 it just summed up how bad we'd become at that point.

Away at Brum a few seasons ago under Mowbray a more disinterested weak effort you are never more likely to see it made Cardiff away look positive.

Probably quite a few later in Don Mckays tenure but we were really down to the bare bones so as hard as it was it was understandable.  You can swallow it when you know we are actually a poor side from a decimated squad but some of the no shows we've had in recent times are hard to stomach.

• Like 4

christmas 1990 vs oxford,categoricaly the worst game ever,rovers lose 1-3 to an oxford team full of journeymen,the blackburn end get so ***** off they start cheering for oxford and have a sit down protest about bill fox and the board,rumoured to be the match when jack walker started to take an interest in buying the club

not so far behind is away at aston villa,new years day circa 2006,wet miserable day,everyone hung over and absolutely nothing happened apart from a late villa winner

4 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

I’ll start the bidding with this…a dreadful afternoon of awful defending coupled with the very real prospect of having your face caved in as you left the Kippax after the game…

D5892086-BF51-43FE-BE55-19833FD2E65E.jpeg

My first ever away game that one. We were about 10 mins late getting there after trying to find somewhere to park. Ended up with my dad's mate paying some locals to "mind your car for you mister?"

As we walked in, we heard the cheer for City's 1st. Not a good start & it certainly didn't get any better!

At least the car was fine when we got back to it! 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

The World Cup group qualifying match between Austria and West Germany was embarrassing. At that time final group games were staggered and they both went into the match knowing that a low scoring win for the Germans would see both go through. They manufactured and connived a 1-0 German win by just passing the ball around in their own half with absolutely no pressure on them. It caused quite a stir and caused FIFA to change the rules so final group games kicked off simultaneously. 

the disgrace of gijon as it was called

• Like 1

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Rovers v West Ham 2006 maybe 07 I think it was.

The game was fixed. Absolutely no doubt about it. 

Was that the one just after Christmas a couple of games into Keans tenure? 0-0?

In terms of how it made me feel personally. Palace v rovers 1989. I’m sure some of the older folk might think of wolves in 1960.

It might be dismissed as regency bias with semi fresh wounds but no matter how old you are, how many games you’ve been to in terms of shitty performances I’m sorry but a 7-0 home defeat to bloody Fulham will take some beating for atrociousness in any era, for manager and any side. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, matt83 said:

In terms of how it made me feel personally. Palace v rovers 1989. I’m sure some of the older folk might think of wolves in 1960.

It might be dismissed as regency bias with semi fresh wounds but no matter how old you are, how many games you’ve been to in terms of shitty performances I’m sorry but a 7-0 home defeat to bloody Fulham will take some beating for atrociousness in any era, for manager and any side. 

That Cup Final must take the medal. Dougan asks for a transfer on the day of the game, then plays carrying an injury and breaks down after 5 minutes. Mick McGrath puts through his own goal then Dave Whelan breaks his leg with no subs. All this on a blazing hot day. A Cup Final that we’d waited for for years and the game was over at half time ! Plus the following fall out from the ticket scandal.

• Like 2

League Cup quarter-final away to Cardiff in 2011 under Kean. Players look disinterested from the kickoff and we lost easily. Kean admitted afterwards he'd thrown the match to "concentrate on the league". We were 2 games from Wembley. I spent over £250 tickets on tickets, travel and food and I might as well have chucked the money down the drain. Two very disillusioned kids as well. An email to the club to complain about the manager's comments and the lack of effort went unanswered. I swore never again.....

• Like 9