BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

One of the thoughts that this year's World Cup has put into my mind is whether a midwinter break will be more acceptable going forward in our Leagues? Maybe not as long as the break that this tournament's brought about, and maybe deeper into the winter; but a break to recharge teams' "batteries".

I'm obviously thinking about Rovers here; our squad, to my mind, is too small - and too young? - to cope with a schedule of two games every week for a 46-match League season. For teams which have Cup success - as we have this season - that pressure could get to be too much.

I suspect that the Premier League's paymasters wouldn't like the idea; but to an old fogey like me that savours of the tail wagging the dog.

The two weeks prior to Christmas would be a good way to do it imo, just before a rush of games, and extend the season into the end of May.

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

I'm obviously thinking about Rovers here; our squad, to my mind, is too small - and too young? - to cope with a schedule of two games every week for a 46-match League season. For teams which have Cup success - as we have this season - that pressure could get to be too much.

Interesting you mention young coping and then pressure. So more mental break than physical. 

And then they all go for a jolly to Marbella/Dubai and get hammered for it.

Particularly while we're all jealous freezing our arses off. 

I'd be a supporter of it, everyone could do with a week forgetting about everything and recharging, even millionaire sportsmen. 

The cynic in me can't see it ever happening. Particularly when the TV schedule needs constantly fed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

If we lose kane we are screwed 

Agree to disagree. I think he unbalances the formation. He's a great player, but he's meant to be the tip of the spear. How often do you see him dropping deep for the ball, or floating out to a wing? Too often.

He's too used to playing with Son making runs beyond him. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

One of the thoughts that this year's World Cup has put into my mind is whether a midwinter break will be more acceptable going forward in our Leagues? Maybe not as long as the break that this tournament's brought about, and maybe deeper into the winter; but a break to recharge teams' "batteries".

I suspect that the Premier League's paymasters wouldn't like the idea; but to an old fogey like me that savours of the tail wagging the dog.

I could see that coming for the Premier League clubs.

7 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Agree to disagree. I think he unbalances the formation. He's a great player, but he's meant to be the tip of the spear. How often do you see him dropping deep for the ball, or floating out to a wing? Too often.

I thought he was superb against Iran. Even though he didn't score he linked up play really well and allowed our wide forwards to become a threat. He even managed this with a couple of fairly aimless punts up towards him.

On his injury. It was an absolutely ridiculous tackle by the Iran player. Kane had broken past him. If he wanted to foul him all he had to do was trip him, not lunge with his whole body. There's always a chance a foot will get caught underneath falling bodies. I think it was way back in 1998 there was a big message about tackles from behind being outlawed for this very reason. I don't think it was malicious, I don't think it warranted more than a yellow, but it was bloody stupid.

There were a few of them in the game and in other matches I've seen. If Fifa are dead set on increasing the number of teams in a tournament, we're going to see more nations who are international 'minnows' and more of these types of tackles and injuries to big name players. They try and mix it up (rightfully so) but lack the technique. The result is clumsy tackles. 

Edited by ben_the_beast
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We have alot of great players but for me he's irreplaceable 

I think if Kane is out injured, it would be glaringly obvious how much we reply on him to link up the attack with midfield and hold the ball upfront. I do think he drops too deep these days and is becoming more of a 10 than a centre forward, but he isnt replacable for England. It would require a change in style. 

• Like 2

On 20/11/2022 at 00:07, jim mk2 said:

Why do England fans post this sort of stuff when England's history is one of failures and disappointment? Iran have won 17 of their past 21 games, and Wales and the US will be difficult opponents. None of the games will be easy and if England don't play well they will lose

6-2 proved you wrong.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I thought he was superb against Iran. Even though he didn't score he linked up play really well and allowed our wide forwards to become a threat. He even managed this with a couple of fairly aimless punts up towards him.

On his injury. It was an absolutely ridiculous tackle by the Iran player. Kane had broken past him. If he wanted to foul him all he had to do was trip him, not lunge with his whole body. There's always a chance a foot will get caught underneath falling bodies. I think it was way back in 1998 there was a big message about tackles from behind being outlawed for this very reason. I don't think it was malicious, I don't think it warranted more than a yellow, but it was bloody stupid.

There were a few of them in the game and in other matches I've seen. If Fifa are dead set on increasing the number of teams in a tournament, we're going to see more nations who are international 'minnows' and more of these types of tackles and injuries to big name players. They try and mix it up (rightfully so) but lack the technique. The result is clumsy tackles. 

I noticed that. The Iran players were putting in some dodgy tackles. Trippier got one on his foot that looked painful. There were others too. 

It looks like Kane will be fit ESPN FC - Kane fit to play

On 18/11/2022 at 18:13, Silas said:

I get your sentiment, but I've just got to be honest, and out of the games I can watch this week when not at work (barring our group), I'm left with:

Qatar v Ecuador, France v Australia, Belgium v Canada, and Brazil v Serbia.

Not really getting the juices flowing. And I'll be very surprised if any of the underdogs shine in those games.

I think there's some very boring games there, and a couple whitewashes.

Will be happy to be proved wrong and look foolish tho.

No underdog wins in the game you quoted, but Saudi Arabia's win must be a bigger upset.

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No underdog wins in the game you quoted, but Saudi Arabia's win must be a bigger upset.

Yeah, tbf I've been more entertained than I was expecting. 

Actually ended up with a bonus day off Tues so watched SA's win. 

And now Japan are holding Germany. 

Let's see if Junior Hoilett can help Canada make a game of it tonight. 

Shaping up all right this WC. 

😲😲😲 Japan now winning!

• Like 5

This result is an upset, but it's much less of a shock than the Saudi win. That was 3rd in the rankings losing to 51st, this was 11th losing to 24th. I've thought Japan are a decent technical side for years now, underrated, but it's still a bit of a surprise, and a pleasing one of course as it's Germany. With Spain in the group too, there's a chance of Germany not getting past the group stage now.