BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You agreed with bringing Henderson on?! Crazy decision. Mount must know a secret about Southgate as he plays regularly over superior players.

Yes Bellingham wasn't having an impact and we needed a change there. 

On Mount, my views are well known to yourself, I think he is quality player and someone I see as key player for us. 

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't want to see constant, regurgitated interviews, I want them to talk about the game they are bloody showing! The lack of knowledge and research is astounding, the pundits should know in depth the various teams but it usually goes half an hour in the England camp, then maybe 2 minutes talking about the main player for the teams playing, always the same one.

fair enough. Maybe not watch the build-up. I just put it on 5 minutes before kick-off of the Argentina Mexico as I knew ITV would go into over analysing England game and I wasn't interested in it. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

I've no confidence In this England team that we will turn up against wales. I'm worried about this game. Wales biggest weapon will be their passion and commitment to beating England. Our players will stroll around like its a Sunday league game. Southgate just can't motivate these players. I wouldn’t bet against a 1-0 loss. All the goodwill from the opening game has almost gone

• Like 1

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

That’s unfair IMO. We’re seeing with Ecuador that the South American sides are no mugs. Games against them (especially away), Uruguay, Colombia, Chile are far from easy.

Might be a bit harsh yeah. I get any big undefeated run at International level is an achievement.

But the hype was big before this tournament (obv Messi factor), and I don't really rate the other South America teams.

If you put the like of Spain and France in that pool, can't see them getting beaten often either. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I've no confidence In this England team that we will turn up against wales. I'm worried about this game. Wales biggest weapon will be their passion and commitment to beating England. Our players will stroll around like its a Sunday league game. Southgate just can't motivate these players. I wouldn’t bet against a 1-0 loss. All the goodwill from the opening game has almost gone

They aren’t gonna beat us 4-0 realistically. Anything can happen in knockout football. We need to just attack teams from the off really.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

They aren’t gonna beat us 4-0 realistically. Anything can happen in knockout football. We need to just attack teams from the off really.

We shouldn't be losing to them by any score. We have vastly superior players.  Wales are very poor. I just don't think Southgate can instill the same passion into our players that the welsh players will have

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Wales being bang up for it is the only reason the Welsh have a chance and it’s irritating to think it’ll count for a lot. Bale aside the rest of their squad wouldn’t make an England 3rd squad.

In fact thinking about it England very very rarely upset the odds through sheer desire in any game, particularly in tournaments. In the last 30 years (just what I can’t remember) how many teams have England beaten being the underdog. Hardly ever. I appreciate we go into most games as favourites but it can’t be more than 3 competitive matches. Maybe argies 02 in the group. Germany in 2000. Holland in 96 but were at home. A very poor Germany 2018. Not many. 

Lost plenty of times to teams we went in as favourites - Croatia 2018, Iceland 2016, Uruguay 2014, Romania 2002, Sweden 1992. Then lost to teams were either underdogs ourselves or marginal - Italy 2020, Belgium x2 2018, Italy 2014, Italy 2012, Germany 2010, Portugal 2008, 2004 and 2000, Germany 1996 and 1990. Then probably well into double figures drawing against teams should have beaten usa x2, Algeria, Costa Rica, Nigeria, Ireland, Scotland, Russia, Switzerland, Sweden x a million, Denmark with comparatively few results against the big dogs.

That’s just the major tournaments and not including disappointments in the qualifiers such as that Wembley debacle vs Croatia, etc. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

I wouldn't fret too much as we are almost certainly through either way. But Wales are shocking.

I don't think its a motivation thing either. Southgate is lacking tactically and it is no surprise that our 2 tournament eliminations have come from an inability to manage an early lead. We also have a lack of ability to control games through our midfield as athletic as it may be, and the inability to build a team around Foden is bizarre.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, roverandout said:

I agree and England have to be up for it.

The CBs will have more than easy headers to deal with.

If Southgate sets up for a 1-0 win or draw we may well have problems.

From the group we are in finishing top is a minimum expectation.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, matt83 said:

Wales being bang up for it is the only reason the Welsh have a chance and it’s irritating to think it’ll count for a lot. Bale aside the rest of their squad wouldn’t make an England 3rd squad.

In fact thinking about it England very very rarely upset the odds through sheer desire in any game, particularly in tournaments. In the last 30 years (just what I can’t remember) how many teams have England beaten being the underdog. Hardly ever. I appreciate we go into most games as favourites but it can’t be more than 3 competitive matches. Maybe argies 02 in the group. Germany in 2000. Holland in 96 but were at home. A very poor Germany 2018. Not many. 

Lost plenty of times to teams we went in as favourites - Croatia 2018, Iceland 2016, Uruguay 2014, Romania 2002, Sweden 1992. Then lost to teams were either underdogs ourselves or marginal - Italy 2020, Belgium x2 2018, Italy 2014, Italy 2012, Germany 2010, Portugal 2008, 2004 and 2000, Germany 1996 and 1990. Then probably well into double figures drawing against teams should have beaten usa x2, Algeria, Costa Rica, Nigeria, Ireland, Scotland, Russia, Switzerland, Sweden x a million, Denmark with comparatively few results against the big dogs.

That’s just the major tournaments and not including disappointments in the qualifiers such as that Wembley debacle vs Croatia, etc. 

Yes - at major tournaments (WC, Euros) since 1990 we have only beaten the "big eight" (France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina) five times - Spain (96), Netherlands (96), Germany (00), Argentina (02), Germany (21). 

On the other hand we have lost to the big eight 11 times - Germany (96), Argentina (98), Portugal (00), Brazil (02), France (04), Portugal (04), Portugal (06), Germany (10), Italy (12), Italy (14), Italy (21). 

It would be interesting to see how this compares against the other big international teams... However I haven't got the bothered points to go through all eight teams results over last 30 years. 

• Like 1

I guess two ways Southgate could approach Wales game. On one hand and he can grind out a draw and defo go through. Or he can try and go for an eye catching victory, given our four goal cushion it's low risk, and the potential reward is to boost confidence.

I suspect it will be the former as that has tended to be his pattern. Make sure we are tight as first priority. He's a believer that it's defence not offence that progresses teams through world cups. And that's probably sadly true really. 

• Like 1

It’s a curious phenomenon that teams, like England, with atrocious defences are more concerned with focusing on defending. England should look to play to the strengths we have and that means attacking and includes Foden starting.

Wales will have to go all out to beat England and in theory with our vast superiority in quality that should mean there will be gaps galore and we should pick them off at will. But I really fear the instructions coming from the manager will be keep it tight and cagey and it’ll be a shit show. Frankly anything other than at least a 3-0 win vs wales will be below par. That said they say it’s better to be a lucky manager than a good manager and Southgate is certainly the luckiest manager I’ve ever seen. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roverandout said:

I think you are being far too jeckle & hyde at the minute. I think people are overreacting to the draw with USA. Other teams are struggling in the tournament like Germany, France and Argentina. Germany lost to Japan; France struggled last night even tho they got the win they were poor. Argentina was very poor despite them winning. 

I disagree that Southgate can't motivated cos over his time in charge he has proven that point wrong. 

Also, none of the goodwill from the opening game has gone but people do overreact to games whether we win convincedly or play poorly and get a draw or lose. People need to calm down. The Iran win didn't make me think we would win the world cup any more than before the world cup started, just like the USA game didn't affect my thinking either. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Hungary did.

They did but a)They are much better than Wales, and b) In my 60 years on the planet I can’t readily recall another defeat like that where everything went wrong all over the park, so I wouldn’t expect two in the same year. 

You’ll get pretty good odds on a Welsh four goal margin victory I should think.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think you are being far too jeckle & hyde at the minute. I think people are overreacting to the draw with USA. Other teams are struggling in the tournament like Germany, France and Argentina. Germany lost to Japan; France struggled last night even tho they got the win they were poor. Argentina was very poor despite them winning. 

I disagree that Southgate can't motivated cos over his time in charge he has proven that point wrong. 

Also, none of the goodwill from the opening game has gone but people do overreact to games whether we win convincedly or play poorly and get a draw or lose. People need to calm down. The Iran win didn't make me think we would win the world cup any more than before the world cup started, just like the USA game didn't affect my thinking either. 

I can’t see how you think France were struggling. They beat a durable Denmark side yesterday without really getting out of second gear. They’ll always score goals with Mbappe, Giroud and Dembele up front. Greizman is pulling the strings in midfield. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, roverandout said:

Difference then was Maradona was In his pomp. Messi is just a shadow of the player he was 

Which for me is why Maradona is the greatest player ever with Pele 2nd,in his prime Maradona dragged his country to a World Cup win while defenders could get away with murder compared to these days.As good as Ronaldo and Messi have been they didn't rule the world cup while at their best.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, goozburger said:

This has to be the worst half an hour of football I've ever watched from professional football players.

I regret sitting through that non-event of a first half when i could have been doing something more constructive with my Sunday morning.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can’t see how you think France were struggling. They beat a durable Denmark side yesterday without really getting out of second gear. They’ll always score goals with Mbappe, Giroud and Dembele up front. Greizman is pulling the strings in midfield. 

Personally I thought France were fortunate.  They could have at least been 2-1 down before mbappe scored. Against Australia they could have conceded a second at 2-1. They're relying on individuals right now rather than team play