BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

2 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Possibly, but he can't have pulled up any trees at Stoke or else he would still be there. I can just imagine the reaction on here if we signed him and turned out like Hirst. We can't afford that risk with him

I suspect that the reaction on here will be plenty of criticism if anyone comes and shows as little as Hirst. And rightly so.

• Like 1

With Cantwell: as I understand it, Rangers are free to agree a pre-contract with him from now, as foreign teams would be with BBD, because Scotland’s a different association/nation/not a domestic club, so that’s a free transfer, save any solidarity payments that a tribunal might decide (not sure how his age of 24 affects it, I think it depends on DOB), meaning more in the pot for the player and agent to extract. You have to assume this is what’s happening.

Advantage of us offering money now is Norwich get something for a player they probably won’t renew with anyway, but Rangers could just as easily agree a contract and then haggle over the window to arrange a fee to bring the move forward. Rangers are objectively a better proposition in the here and now, but I actually think it’s riskier for him. If he doesn’t make the most of it, he’ll be viewed as finished and it’s unlikely the big move comes anyway. Look at Scott Sinclair who was on fire for Celtic, before moving to PNE(!) and now Bristol Rovers. Equally, the bright lights of Sauchiehall Street could be a road to ruin for him, if his off-field behavioural rumours are to be believed.

Trying to look at it from JDT/GB perspective: he’d be a risk but GB must feel enough about him to get him focused on playing again and he’s not a direct replacement for BBD but he’s at least outperformed BBD (when at his previous best) with scope to improve at his age. It’s pretty sound logic, before you consider the subjectives, which probably outlines why we’ve gone with a bid of £2m. It’s a weirdly fair price for the player. If you sell BBD, you can look at bringing in a player to benefit from his creativity and if you keep him, you’ve a rotation option all across the front that beds in for integration by the beginning of next season. Club management don’t expect promotion this year.

anyway, it’s moot, but it’s nice to game this kind of thing out. Wild and flawed speculation is what the transfer window is about for fans.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Possibly, but he can't have pulled up any trees at Stoke or else he would still be there. I can just imagine the reaction on here if we signed him and turned out like Hirst. We can't afford that risk with him

It's to do with his father leaving Stoke 

Edited by roverandout

3 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

With Cantwell: as I understand it, Rangers are free to agree a pre-contract with him from now, as foreign teams would be with BBD, because Scotland’s a different association/nation/not a domestic club, so that’s a free transfer, save any solidarity payments that a tribunal might decide (not sure how his age of 24 affects it, I think it depends on DOB), meaning more in the pot for the player and agent to extract. You have to assume this is what’s happening.

Advantage of us offering money now is Norwich get something for a player they probably won’t renew with anyway, but Rangers could just as easily agree a contract and then haggle over the window to arrange a fee to bring the move forward. Rangers are objectively a better proposition in the here and now, but I actually think it’s riskier for him. If he doesn’t make the most of it, he’ll be viewed as finished and it’s unlikely the big move comes anyway. Look at Scott Sinclair who was on fire for Celtic, before moving to PNE(!) and now Bristol Rovers. Equally, the bright lights of Sauchiehall Street could be a road to ruin for him, if his off-field behavioural rumours are to be believed.

Trying to look at it from JDT/GB perspective: he’d be a risk but GB must feel enough about him to get him focused on playing again and he’s not a direct replacement for BBD but he’s at least outperformed BBD (when at his previous best) with scope to improve at his age. It’s pretty sound logic, before you consider the subjectives, which probably outlines why we’ve gone with a bid of £2m. It’s a weirdly fair price for the player. If you sell BBD, you can look at bringing in a player to benefit from his creativity and if you keep him, you’ve a rotation option all across the front that beds in for integration by the beginning of next season. Club management don’t expect promotion this year.

anyway, it’s moot, but it’s nice to game this kind of thing out. Wild and flawed speculation is what the transfer window is about for fans.

“ Club management don’t expect promotion this year “ . Tell them to let me know when they do - I might start watching them a bit more.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DE. said:

Agree with the general point, but I'm sure I remember reading that ground maintanence and stadium investment in general are not factored into FFP calculations - so the only thing stopping Venky's from spending decent money on general upkeep is Venky's themselves.

Yes, good point, I momentarily forgot about that. But the general point still stands as you say. Examples I should have used instead would be contract renewals to stop us losing top talent for free, compounding the loss of money with a further loss of money, which would likely have additional knock on impacts. Ie, we don't have the 10 mill from BBD, so we can't afford to renew contracts at the going rate for another 10 mill worth of talent, essentially meaning we lose another 10 mill worth for free, and have to spend to replace them, plus can't afford other renewals...it can be a vicious circle.

(Before anyone says it, those values aren't as flat out as that in terms of losing exactly 10 mill again, it's just a speculative example of how the problem can intensify with knock-on effects, you don't end up in some cycle of infinite regress and bankrupcy by next year or anything. I'm also not saying we should definitely sell BBD if we get 10 mill, I'm just saying it's a complicated problem, and a gamble whichever way you handle it, nowhere near as cut and dry as some are making out.)

Edit - Actually, it probably is also worth pointing out that although Venkys can fix the stadium and pitch issues without it affecting FFP, if they're simply not going to as current evidence suggests, then we probably do still need the money for those kinds of purposes. Although I agree it's something they should do.

Edited by bluebruce

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

“ Club management don’t expect promotion this year “ . Tell them to let me know when they do - I might start watching them a bit more.

looks like we are on another journey😩with the journey being replaced by the project,by the time the "project" is over,we`ll be playing to crowds of 5,000

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Each to their own, but I don’t watch for the outcome. The outcome is something to hope for.

• Like 2

I've no problem with Broughton and JDT needing time before they are judged and the summer was far from ideal given what they walked into. I accept January is a difficult time and I like what I see and hear from Broughton.

So who is responsible for the fact they both arrived late and were limited as to their capabilities in the summer? Why, when Mowbray's contract situation was known to everyone months beforehand, did a new manager not arrive until mid-June?

Meanwhile those same people are still lurking in the background and I worry undermining any good work JDT and Broughton want to do.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said:

Read some rumour about the left back Gabriel Suazo. Not sure if there is any truth in it but saw it 

Of all the rumours so far, I can see this as being a possible. Chile international left back, can also play left midfield and centre mid.(according to transfer market) 

More important, his contract was up at the beginning of this month so free agent. Only 25 and played for Colo Colo in Chile 1st division. Wonder it f bbd had a word with somebody

Edit

Forget that, think he's gone to Besiktas !

Edited by Tugayisgod

53 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't expect it either, but I expect them to give it their all. 

This could be the best chance we have for many years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Is he creative in the final third? No goal and no assist in 2 years.

Thankfully, another rumour that can be put in the pile of "absolute bollocks." 

We need a central striker mainly in attacking positions.

But about the years before plus we don't know what the problem has been why he hasn't been featuring much recently. I think he we can get him back to best and being the force he was before the last 18 months then we will have done well here. Also maybe we are thinking medium to long term with the Cantwell signing as he will replace BBD position wise. 

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Yeah, this I think @RevidgeBlue

Same happened to me on Samsung Internet. Highlights everything in blue and goes crazy adding blank spaces.

Infuriating. I've switched to Chrome and works perfect. 

It happened a few times to me now. 

19 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Of all the rumours so far, I can see this as being a possible. Chile international left back, can also play left midfield and centre mid.(according to transfer market) 

More important, his contract was up at the beginning of this month so free agent. Only 25 and played for Colo Colo in Chile 1st division. Wonder it f bbd had a word with somebody

Edit

Forget that, think he's gone to Besiktas !

Correct he has joined Besiktas today. 

But he would have got an UK work permit

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How can u not expect promotion? U take it when u can get it. We're third. Surely strengthen from a strong position.  Its just more time wasting from those in power to keep their jobs

• Like 3

Fortunately we have a manager in place now who I believe wants promotion asap and will do everything he can to try and get it. I don't think he's here to sit around in mid-table for 4-5 years waxing lyrical about 'next year'. He's here to move up the footballing ladder one way or the other.

Of course he's done plenty of talking about 'the project' which you would expect from any manager particularly one in his first season working under a new D of F. But there's no incentive to him to sit around here for the prime of his career. Unlike Waggott and Mowbray who knew they weren't getting a better job than here. 

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Fortunately we have a manager in place now who I believe wants promotion asap and will do everything he can to try and get it. I don't think he's here to sit around in mid-table for 4-5 years waxing lyrical about 'next year'. He's here to move up the footballing ladder one way or the other.

Of course he's done plenty of talking about 'the project' which you would expect from any manager particularly one in his first season working under a new D of F. But there's no incentive to him to sit around here for the prime of his career. Unlike Waggott and Mowbray who knew they weren't getting a better job than here. 

Could be something in this and I'm hoping he's in a rush. 

Mogadon and Tesco, they reminded me of our 80s attitude where my grandad and dad would always say the board don't want to go up, they can't afford to go up....same with Mogadon,  go up and he'd have been out on his ear....Mogadon couldn't afford to go up

So here we are almost in mid Jan and not a sniff of a signing. It's the lack of planning that frustrates 

What were Broughton and JDT doing during the world cup? They would have known that come the Jan xfer window, we would be round about the playoff spots no matter how bad our form was. So why arent we thinking to ourselves, ok here is an opportunity this season, we need 2-3 quality players in these xy positions. Let's go out and get them early.

If you do business in the first 2 weeks of Jan, with the fa cup game, the new signings don't miss any league games. Sign them on 31 Jan and you've already missed another few league games.

Have we learned nothing from this time last year?! Scrambling around on deadline day? 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

So here we are almost in mid Jan and not a sniff of a signing. It's the lack of planning that frustrates 

What were Broughton and JDT doing during the world cup? They would have known that come the Jan xfer window, we would be round about the playoff spots no matter how bad our form was. So why arent we thinking to ourselves, ok here is an opportunity this season, we need 2-3 quality players in these xy positions. Let's go out and get them early.

If you do business in the first 2 weeks of Jan, with the fa cup game, the new signings don't miss any league games. Sign them on 31 Jan and you've already missed another few league games.

Have we learned nothing from this time last year?! Scrambling around on deadline day? 

Clubs do plan, a lot. Nobody wants to do all their business late but that is the nature of the beast. The only deals that get done early are pre-agreed, are overpriced or are players that there's not a major scramble for. The better players are harder to get, more clubs are in for and are happy to wait to get the best move they can get

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

He hasnt spoke as if he is desperate for promotion this season, any different to predecessors, but they all tow the party line I guess.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He hasnt spoke as if he is desperate for promotion this season, any different to predecessors, but they all tow the party line I guess.

They’ve got it nice and quiet at the moment. If by some miracle we were to get promoted the full glare of the Premier League spotlight would on them again.

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The rumours of a £2m bid for Cantwell can't be true, Gav says we've no money. Just like he said we'd no money for weeks in the summer before we went out and spent £6.5 m.

Turns out the rumours weren't true anyway, but can you itemise the £6.5m?  I've got a feeling that figure is about as accurate as Gav's claim that when Gally plays we average over 3 points per game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy612 said:

Turns out the rumours weren't true anyway, but can you itemise the £6.5m?  I've got a feeling that figure is about as accurate as Gav's claim that when Gally plays we average over 3 points per game. 

Im sure that Rich Sharpe (no one knows for sure, not taking it as gospel) had Szmodics as £1.7m, Hyam as £1.5m and Brittain at £900k so I am also interested.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Cantwell is not what we need. Would want to play from the left and isnt particularly fast. Plus hes not done anything for a while to justify his early promise. 2m is a lot of money to spend on him too.

If it’s a case of spending money then I would rather it was used for Hugo Vetlsen, if it’s a possibility, rather than on Cantwell. I think once a bad attitude has set in or the mojo has been lost it very rarely comes back. Eg Dele Ali.