BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Window.

15 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

image.png.6fd0b2db96dae7b6d9c3019bd2d9eeae.png

fewest crosses in the division, 2nd fewest shots per game. 

The stats show where the problem is with this team. We are dreadful going forward.

For that reason, someone like Thomas is  priority signing. As is a striker. 

Hope he doesn‘t know how to pass sideways. 

• Like 1

How far down the option list was Thomas? Was Gelhardt ever on? Do we have a tough time landing targets?

A bit nonplussed by it but obviously I hope he makes a huge contribution to the rest of the season.

Recruitment is stat-driven and the stat shared above about crosses is very telling. Wonder if Sharpe dug that out himself or it was furnished to him by his source.

2 hours ago, neophox said:

Thomas was very good with Carlos Corberan as manager....when Fotheringham arrived he's been left out also Huddersfield has declined.... get that over the line... I would prefer it as a signing.

That probably means WBA will hijack the loan...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

The ITK standard on here is fucking appalling 

Tbf, somebody dropped the name in here yesterday, and today it's in the news. The LT says the deal moved quickly, so not sure how much sooner an ITK could really have broken it.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, roverblue said:

Anyone who can create chances is more than welcome to join the team! We have created barely anything of note all season and have been incredibly lucky in taking the few chances we have in most games.

I cant stand anymore turgid sh*t going forward bring in some pace, skill and penetration the more the merrier!

Interesting you say that - I watched the extended highlights of the Huddersfield game at Ewood (the last game Brereton-Diaz scored in btw) to see what all the fuss about Thomas was about. He barely touched the ball, which was disconcerting. 

I will say that Brereton-Diaz missed an absolute sitter and Morton smashed an easier chance than either of the two Rotherham 30+ yard goals straight at the keeper - so it's a myth we don't create chances. 

38 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

image.png.6fd0b2db96dae7b6d9c3019bd2d9eeae.png

fewest crosses in the division, 2nd fewest shots per game. 

The stats show where the problem is with this team. We are dreadful going forward.

For that reason, someone like Thomas is  priority signing. As is a striker. 

The worry for me here is that we aren't a team who really play crosses. That could be for good reason, as we lack anybody who is particularly adept at getting on the end of them. Dack reads them best, but unless they're low he won't win many. Last season when we got Giles in, someone that could really cross, who put in something like 30-odd crosses in his first game. But the idea was quickly abandoned and our genius manager decided he was better cutting in from the right (which he wasn't). Incompetence was probably a factor in that move, but I think our lack of an effective recipient for crosses was probably an element in the thinking.

We are trying it again, under a different manager with largely the same personnel. If he plays on the left, perhaps we are thinking of putting BBD in the middle. He is probably the player on our books most capable of fulfilling that role, but it remains to be seen if he will use certain elements of his game that make him dangerous, by playing him there.

If he is coming as a winger to put crosses in, this is either going to be a waste of time again, or it will unlock a different part of our game to capitalise on. Perhaps it could make us more effective when we do have the possession and need to break a team down, good crosses can shake things up. We will need much better movement in the box though.

Another possibility is he will spend at least some of the time as a LWB to give Pickering competition.

I would take absolutely no notice of any “assist” stat. What’s an assist? Is it a two yard pass on the half way line allowing the goal scorer to go past three men and the goalkeeper, or is it when a player goes past half the team then lays it on a plate for the goal scorer? Totally meaningless.

Can he play - and can he hold down a first team spot is all that matters really.

• Like 3

Those assist and crosses stats are completely misleading I'm afraid.

A massive chunk of them are set pieces.

Yes he whips a mean corner/free kick in, but please don't go expecting a Wilcox or a Ripley!

I remember in the play off final he had a decent game in terms of taking defenders on but there was no end product.

I'm not completely against him coming in and will give him a chance but much like a goalkeeper he doesn't seem a priority position and not sure how much more he offers than Markanday. 

• Like 1

Remember thinking last season he looked menacing, quick, taking players on and scary set pieces. But not so good in open play. Still could be much more effective than Hedges/Dolan on that side (and defo massive improvement on Morton as set pieces). 

I think a good 6 month loan as who knows if BBD will disappear this month, proper winger who can create chances, if he does well and they get relegated we could get on the cheap. Presuming we're just taking a large wage bill off their books. Bad signing if a striker (or two for me) don't come in though, as Gally isn't up to much.. Dack/BBD maybe.  

11 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Those assist and crosses stats are completely misleading I'm afraid.

A massive chunk of them are set pieces.

Yes he whips a mean corner/free kick in, but please don't go expecting a Wilcox or a Ripley!

I remember in the play off final he had a decent game in terms of taking defenders on but there was no end product.

I'm not completely against him coming in and will give him a chance but much like a goalkeeper he doesn't seem a priority position and not sure how much more he offers than Markanday. 

Considering our set pieces are crap, if he just improves those it's a bonus. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Would anyone have taken Jordan Hugill ? He might have offered a physical 9 to get on the end of Sorba crosses and hold up for Dack and BBD, if still with us.

Defo but they have given him a long contract which is probably why he’s gone there over a better team 

Another in same vein is Michael Smith at Wednesday, I would have been in for him ex Rotherham at beginning of season. Little chance of leaving Wednesday when promotion this year looks a certainty, also better playing in front of big Hillsborough crowds, than the morgue that Ewood has sadly become 😞

29 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Interesting you say that - I watched the extended highlights of the Huddersfield game at Ewood (the last game Brereton-Diaz scored in btw) to see what all the fuss about Thomas was about. He barely touched the ball, which was disconcerting. 

I will say that Brereton-Diaz missed an absolute sitter and Morton smashed an easier chance than either of the two Rotherham 30+ yard goals straight at the keeper - so it's a myth we don't create chances. 

I think generally we don’t hence why we are near the bottom of most stats in the league around the expected goals, crosses, through balls etc. 

It’s a symptom of not having the right players for the system JDT plays though in midfield and attack. If we had some power, pace and skill to break forward I am sure we could turn it around.

Looking at his "assists" on t'internet, alot of them have come from corners. Thomas certainly has a good 3-iron in his left boot, driving hard, flat balls into the 6-yard box but who's going to get on the end of them? Certainly not Gallagher or Vale