BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Wigan Athletic (h) - 6/2/23

12 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

how much better do you think Vale is than Leonard? Both now and potentially. 

He seems to be the next cab off the rank, so I'm curious if we simply have no strikers in the Academy or not. 

For me personally I see Vale and Leonard as very similar players. They're both box strikers who take chances in front of goal. Leonard has grown a couple of inches and filled out somewhat in the last few months alone. Probably a more aggressive and intense pressor than Vale perhaps? Hard to say who has a higher ceiling as Leonard still hasn't been tested in a senior environment.

34 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Well... whenever I've seen him play his linking up round the box etc back to goal has been minimal. And he's always looked most dangerous cutting in or running from 30 yards out on the break. But saying that we've just signed a lad who can play left wide forward (Thomas), got Hedges and Dolan who are decent wide right. So we may as well give him crack! Can't be any worse than Gallagher or Vale.

I’m sick of Brereton hiding out on the left wing, waiting for the perfect ball between the defenders, but the one saving grace keeping him there tonight is that Nyambe will be completely unaware of his runs in behind.

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto Mk2 said:

I’m sick of Brereton hiding out on the left wing, waiting for the perfect ball between the defenders, but the one saving grace keeping him there tonight is that Nyambe will be completely unaware of his runs in behind.

If had to chose one player to keep him quiet it would be Nyambe. Quicker and stronger.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Well... whenever I've seen him play his linking up round the box etc back to goal has been minimal. And he's always looked most dangerous cutting in or running from 30 yards out on the break. But saying that we've just signed a lad who can play left wide forward (Thomas), got Hedges and Dolan who are decent wide right. So we may as well give him crack! Can't be any worse than Gallagher or Vale.

Agreed. One thing I won't forgive Vale for (which Gallagher can't be accused of) is lack of effort. The guy barely runs when he comes on or starts games. He stands there 40 yards from goal with his hands down his pants. A lone striker role is a hard work role, you run your arse off for 90 mins and hope one falls for you in the box a la Jordan Rhodes, he chased everything down. 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If had to chose one player to keep him quiet it would be Nyambe. Quicker and stronger.

Plays perfectly into our hands to be fair, Brereton can stay on half way as there's fuck all going on in the other direction!

53 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I've never bought in to the "Brereton has to be wide" stuff. I'd put him through the centre with Hedges and Thomas on the flanks and Dack in behind. 

I'd like to see this. We now have genuine options out wide. Get Brereton central, closer to the goal and also closer to our other main threat in Dack. 

We need a player who can occupy centre backs. Brereton is a hard worker. I'd rather see him hassling opposition centre backs than tracking his full back to our own penalty area.

• Like 1

On 04/02/2023 at 12:54, rigger said:

Not going.

Nor am I.

As the BBC TV Continuity announcers regularly tell me, "Monday night's Quiz night on BBC2." So, even if we hadn't had the week we've had since the 'window' closed; and hadn't the prospect of a game at Ewood - even against "the pie-eaters" - as an alternative to BBC2, I'd have been sending my apologies for absence.

The events of last week have - temporarily, I hope! - sucked any feelings of loyalty to the club out of me.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

Nor am I.

As the BBC TV Continuity announcers regularly tell me, "Monday night's Quiz night on BBC2." So, even if we hadn't had the week we've had since the 'window' closed; and hadn't the prospect of a game at Ewood - even against "the pie-eaters" - as an alternative to BBC2, I'd have been sending my apologies for absence.

The events of last week have - temporarily, I hope! - sucked any feelings of loyalty to the club out of me.

Each to their own, personally couldn't think of anything worse than sitting at home when Rovers are at home in the league.

2 hours ago, Realistic Rover said:

For me, Brereton best game for us came in the 3-1 win over Sheffield United last season he played up top on his own, ran Basham and Egan ragged. Khadra and poveda were on the wings. Would be worth throwing him up top, hedges right and Thomas left.

I think (hope) that this will be the plan moving forward, now that we have Sorba.

Lets see what tonight brings…

2 hours ago, BRFCS.com said:

If anyone sees or hears any discrimination at the game tonight, please report it, we have enough problems as it is without getting a reputation for racism too.

Interesting the club is pushing this angle - that and the 'don't step onto the pitch' message.

It was the day trippers - yet the regular attendees are the ones feeling the backlash. 

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Interesting the club is pushing this angle - that and the 'don't step onto the pitch' message.

It was the day trippers - yet the regular attendees are the ones feeling the backlash. 

He was a daaaaay tripper,

A pitch-invader, yeah!

It took soooooooooo long to get off,

But he got off. 

Songwriters: Paul Mccartney, John Lennon

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Each to their own, personally couldn't think of anything worse than sitting at home when Rovers are at home in the league.

Okay; I get that. Time was when I felt like that.

Rovers aren't my only interest; I enjoy doing quizzes; and if this match had been taking place on a Saturday afternoon, my walking sticks and I'd have been taking our place in the Riverside stand.

As it is, however, ...

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Agreed. One thing I won't forgive Vale for (which Gallagher can't be accused of) is lack of effort. The guy barely runs when he comes on or starts games. He stands there 40 yards from goal with his hands down his pants. A lone striker role is a hard work role, you run your arse off for 90 mins and hope one falls for you in the box a la Jordan Rhodes, he chased everything down. 

So sad and pathetic to see how Rhodes career has panned out for him since leaving us. He could of gone on to be one of the all time leading goalscorers outside of the Premier league if he'd stayed with us 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

So sad and pathetic to see how Rhodes career has panned out for him since leaving us. He could of gone on to be one of the all time leading goalscorers outside of the Premier league if he'd stayed with us 

He's one of a number of players whose best years were spent wearing blue & white halved shirts.

Off the top of my head, there's a litany of players over the seasons from Tony Field to Roque Santa Cruz whose most productive time was spent at Ewood.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

He's one of a number of players whose best years were spent wearing blue & white halved shirts.

Off the top of my head, there's a litany of players over the seasons from Tony Field to Roque Santa Cruz whose most productive time was spent at Ewood.

This might make a good thread on its own; another would be Rudy Gestede. 

• Like 1