BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v WBA (a) - 15/02/23

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Most people who watched the game or watched on TV will say he was our biggest attacking threat in that game. You don't for some reason. 

You keep overlooked the game situation and BBD had a defensive job to do. If JDT hasn't done what he did we would have been defensive disadvantaged. 

Thomas was attacking from the right tho in the 2 games so where was BBD? 

Is BBD a striker tho when all of goals and form come from in playing left in 4-2-3-1 or as wide forward in 3-4-3? When has he played a number 9 and scored goals from there? 

Our squad is suited playing 4-2-3-1 formation not 3-4-1-2. Our best results have come with this formation. 

So just be clear you would drop BBD for a couple of games for him(bench him( to re-energise and clear his head before bring him back in the starting 11? 

Which chances did he create though? If there are none, did he offer a tangible attacking threat?

I know the left winger has to defend! But I don't think we are playing to his strengths when he is the one doing the graveyard shift spending all game in his own half when attackers like Vale and even Dolan are tasked with being the furthest man forward. He shouldn't be the man doing that.

No, I wouldn't drop him. He along with Dack is one of the 2 attackers we have that can score goals regularly. I think Tomasson needs to try and find a way to get both of them as close to the opposition goal as possible. The likes of Thomas, Dolan and Hedges are all infrequent scorers but full of energy to be able to run up and down the line, so they can do that if needed.

It will take something beyond merely dropping Brereton for someone like Hedges to suddenly start us performing as a good attacking side. We have struggled to create chances all season so merely like for like changes will not solve much alone. We don't have to play quite as defensively as we have been doing to try and stay solid, in fact it can be counterproductive as when we get the ball we have little plan of how to sustain attacks, so the ball comes back into our half.

Brereton has barely played as a central striker, but we may aswell try it out because the current plan isn't working. He has not been as good this season because Mowbray's tactics were better suited to Brereton as an individual in comparison, he was always high up the pitch. We either stick to the formation and play him further forward, or change formation to get him further forward.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Brereton needs dropping, but I very much doubt that Hedges - if he's selected to replace him - will make much difference to our attack.

Hedges is a bit of a nothing player to me. Useful at times and fairly tidy, but for an attacking player he doesn't contribute anywhere near enough goals nor assists.

He'll at least link up play and help us retain possession. 

• Like 2

I like the fact we have defenders coming back, Hyam & Britain will help us down the back stretch of the schedule. JR-C has been playing well, no complaints there. 

Pears gets his big chance, he’s done well the last couple outings, I hope the fans give him some encouragement. 

I expect I will take grief for this, I’d start Gally, with Dack, Thomas & Hedges. Sam is our only proven goal scorer, if/when BB-D leaves (yes, I consider him proven, he has 38 goals for our club). Leonard on the bench, & a runout, if Gally is ineffective. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Which chances did he create though? If there are none, did he offer a tangible attacking threat?

Yes he did. He was our main attacking outlet whilst others attacking players like BBD and Vale were poor. 

I know the left winger has to defend! But I don't think we are playing to his strengths when he is the one doing the graveyard shift spending all game in his own half when attackers like Vale and even Dolan are tasked with being the furthest man forward. He shouldn't be the man doing that.

Dolan played the number 9 role very well and did at Watford. He suits that role. I would play there again tomorrow. 

No, I wouldn't drop him. He along with Dack is one of the 2 attackers we have that can score goals regularly. I think Tomasson needs to try and find a way to get both of them as close to the opposition goal as possible. The likes of Thomas, Dolan and Hedges are all infrequent scorers but full of energy to be able to run up and down the line, so they can do that if needed.

So his lack of form, looked shattered after 60 minutes in games has no barely on your decision at all then. So you are judging players not a form but others on form. 

It will take something beyond merely dropping Brereton for someone like Hedges to suddenly start us performing as a good attacking side. We have struggled to create chances all season so merely like for like changes will not solve much alone. We don't have to play quite as defensively as we have been doing to try and stay solid, in fact it can be counterproductive as when we get the ball we have little plan of how to sustain attacks, so the ball comes back into our half.

We aren't going to become good attacking by moving BBD from the left attacking position to the number 9 role either where his goal scoring record is based on but his best form comes from the left attacking position cutting in or running in behind. 

BBD is out of form and needs a rest. I would drop him to the bench and play Hedges there. He gives us balance and attacking threat aswell. 

Brereton has barely played as a central striker, but we may aswell try it out because the current plan isn't working. He has not been as good this season because Mowbray's tactics were better suited to Brereton as an individual in comparison, he was always high up the pitch. We either stick to the formation and play him further forward, or change formation to get him further forward.

Disagree on Mowbray's tactics on BBD but I wouldn't swapping formations either all to suit one player but what suits the team. Other players have been dropped based on form and no reason why BBD shouldn't be excluded from that

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes he did. He was our main attacking outlet whilst others attacking players like BBD and Vale were poor. 

Dolan played the number 9 role very well and did at Watford. He suits that role. I would play there again tomorrow. 

So his lack of form, looked shattered after 60 minutes in games has no barely on your decision at all then. So you are judging players not a form but others on form. 

We aren't going to become good attacking by moving BBD from the left attacking position to the number 9 role either where his goal scoring record is based on but his best form comes from the left attacking position cutting in or running in behind. 

BBD is out of form and needs a rest. I would drop him to the bench and play Hedges there. He gives us balance and attacking threat aswell. 

Disagree on Mowbray's tactics on BBD but I wouldn't swapping formations either all to suit one player but what suits the team. Other players have been dropped based on form and no reason why BBD shouldn't be excluded from that

What chances did Thomas create against Wigan?

Mowbray's tactics clearly did suit Brereton more as he was more effective and not spending all game defending.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

What chances did Thomas create against Wigan?

He had positive performance against Wigan and was our best attacking player and almost every Rovers fan thought so apart from yourself. So I will just leave it there. 

If we based Thomas just on chances than what chances did BBD created or what has created over the past month but he gets a free pass from you but not others. Inconsistence there 

Mowbray's tactics clearly did suit Brereton more as he was more effective and not spending all game defending.

Its what suits the team not just one player surely?. You won't dropped BBD on poor performances or form over the past month but quite happy to dropped others. Inconsistence there 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He had positive performance against Wigan and was our best attacking player and almost every Rovers fan thought so apart from yourself. So I will just leave it there. 

If we based Thomas just on chances than what chances did BBD created or what has created over the past month but he gets a free pass from you but not others. Inconsistence there 

Its what suits the team not just one player surely?. You won't dropped BBD on poor performances or form over the past month but quite happy to dropped others. Inconsistence there 

I don't think that Brereton has been anything other than shite in these last few months.

I am just saying that he has proven an ability to score on a regular basis, and he clearly is as disadvantaged as anyone with Tomasson's negative tactics. He certainly shouldn't be selected to continue as left wing back of a back 6.

I don't think that Brereton has been anything other than shite in these last few months.

so surely he should be dropped like others have whether its been club Captain Travis or Buckley or others? 

I am just saying that he has proven an ability to score on a regular basis, and he clearly is as disadvantaged as anyone with Tomasson's negative tactics. He certainly shouldn't be selected to continue as left wing back of a back 6.

He isn't being picked as left wing back but doing his defensive responsibilities as the left side attacking tracking the Right wing back  

43 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Brereton isn't playing at the moment, end of. He's pulling out of challenges and giving up the ball easily.

So a bit unfair to compare the two managers, considering Brereton was giving it 100% for Mowbray.

I don't think you fully comprehend how bad our goalscorers are. You seem to think if we have more chances they'll suddenly because decent goalscorers. I've seen Brereton and Gallagher fluff decent chances recently.

So if your goalscorers are so bad, you have to protect the ball going in the other end. We seem to be building from the back, and if only for some nonsense behind the scenes we may have brought in a midfielder and striker in Jan.

14 minutes ago, booth said:

Brereton isn't playing at the moment, end of. He's pulling out of challenges and giving up the ball easily.

So a bit unfair to compare the two managers, considering Brereton was giving it 100% for Mowbray.

I don't think you fully comprehend how bad our goalscorers are. You seem to think if we have more chances they'll suddenly because decent goalscorers. I've seen Brereton and Gallagher fluff decent chances recently.

So if your goalscorers are so bad, you have to protect the ball going in the other end. We seem to be building from the back, and if only for some nonsense behind the scenes we may have brought in a midfielder and striker in Jan.

Brereton is very much a decent goalscorer, even this season he has a very respectable overall goal tally.

I am not really having that he isnt putting in his all but both wide men are being played so deep that they are always going to struggle to offer a goal threat.

I wont deny that we need a new striker but only 5 teams in the whole league have scored less than us, I am simply not having that our attack is THAT ineffective and indeed that the manager couldnt do anything more with the players at his disposal.

We offered more attacking threat last season and Brereton was further forward. We have gone from 1.28 goals per game to 1.06.

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Brereton is very much a decent goalscorer, even this season he has a very respectable overall goal tally.

I am not really having that he isnt putting in his all but both wide men are being played so deep that they are always going to struggle to offer a goal threat.

I wont deny that we need a new striker but only 5 teams in the whole league have scored less than us, I am simply not having that our attack is THAT ineffective and indeed that the manager couldnt do anything more with the players at his disposal.

We offered more attacking threat last season and Brereton was further forward. We have gone from 1.28 goals per game to 1.06.

You keep mentioning last season - different circumstances. Can you not see that there's a massive difference between Brereton now and then? Would you give your all, risking injury, if you were off in a few months? Rothwell was the same last season.

Speaking of which, it's not only the attack that's ineffective but the midfield, they are terrible. You can blame the manager for that too if you wish, but I've watched games in which the likes of Buckley and Travis have been awful. The manager doesn't make them pass the ball to an invisible man.

A big reason why we aren't more of an attacking threat is we have some godawful players thanks to Mowbray. We haven't purchased a striker since 2019, and that was Gallagher. The DOF's answer to that was George Hirst, a man that bad he was replaced with no one. Any team would suffer a goal drought. Any team would suffer from being unsupported by the board too. Any team, any manager.

So in summary, we have Gallagher who has always been poor, and Brereton who is on his way out. That's two passengers upfront. Then in midfield we have a choice of Morton, who is a defensive liability, Buckley who is out of form, and Travis who is the best of a bad bunch. We've no strength on the bench, and you still think it's a tactical issue?!

Edited by booth
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, 1874 said:

My Lineup

Kaminski

Brittain     Hyam    Carter   Pickering

JRC    Buckley  Travis

Thomas     Dack      Diaz (not Brereton)

Something about that right hand side that I think would work really well.

I'm hoping A.Wharton isn't too far away either; he's got qualities that no other player we have has.

Edited by Andy

10 minutes ago, Andy said:

Something about that right hand side that I think would work really well.

I'm hoping A.Wharton isn't too far away either; he's got qualities that no other player we have has.

This formation gives better protection to the full backs and reduces the amount of cover the attackers need to provide leaving them free to attack. I'm sure JDT will persist with only two in midfield even though it's never looked good.

• Like 1

I’m not sure I agree with the whole Brereton isn’t trying viewpoint. Unfortunately he’s playing like an out and out winger at the moment, he’s getting up and down the line and certainly not shirking his defensive responsibilities. Unfortunately we don’t seem to be playing to his strengths and he’s clearly lost a bit of swagger. I’ve not really noticed him pulling out of tackles - it’s certainly not blatantly evident like it has been with Morton and Brittain, but there is a bigger issue with our entire team being reluctant and/or incapable of tackling generally.

Give him a go up top. He’s clumsy enough to be a handful and quick and strong enough to find some joy centrally.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Miller11 said:

I’m not sure I agree with the whole Brereton isn’t trying viewpoint. Unfortunately he’s playing like an out and out winger at the moment, he’s getting up and down the line and certainly not shirking his defensive responsibilities. Unfortunately we don’t seem to be playing to his strengths and he’s clearly lost a bit of swagger. I’ve not really noticed him pulling out of tackles - it’s certainly not blatantly evident like it has been with Morton and Brittain, but there is a bigger issue with our entire team being reluctant and/or incapable of tackling generally.

Give him a go up top. He’s clumsy enough to be a handful and quick and strong enough to find some joy centrally.

He let Porteous walk right past him against Watford, then Gallagher fouled him which led to their equalizer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Brereton needs dropping, but I very much doubt that Hedges - if he's selected to replace him - will make much difference to our attack.

Hedges is a bit of a nothing player to me. Useful at times and fairly tidy, but for an attacking player he doesn't contribute anywhere near enough goals nor assists.

Tomassons tried Vale to no avail, why not give Leonard his chance after yet another goal for the under 21s last weekend.

• Like 3

I said I didn't rate him when we signed him but he's been asked to play where it doesn't suit him.

We buy players, then try to shovel them into a "system".

If he played on the wing and focussed on his crosses and cutting in and shooting he would offer something.

Instead he just looks like he doesn't really know his role. He's no use without a target men up-front and he's not on his own.