BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield United (h) - 4/3/23

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

The last few games have been different and today the penny dropped for me as to what I think is a fundamental difference. The last few games have seen some interplay between the centre halves but not the full backs who are pushing higher up as this is happening. Invariably it's a two v one with the centre halves against a central striker.That means that our opponents can't press too high as their wide players are deeper to stay with our full backs. Prior to a few weeks ago you could have tethered our back four with a piece of string and the full backs were involved in the square passing. 

Clearly this is not the only change as I believe the tempo and intensity is far higher than it's been for some time but this and some other subtle changes have been huge in my view.

You’ve nailed it, Tony. During the game I found myself wondering “Where are all the Pickering sideways/back passes onto Hyam’s weaker foot?”, the answer being he wasn’t there. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

The last few games have been different and today the penny dropped for me as to what I think is a fundamental difference. The last few games have seen some interplay between the centre halves but not the full backs who are pushing higher up as this is happening. Invariably it's a two v one with the centre halves against a central striker.That means that our opponents can't press too high as their wide players are deeper to stay with our full backs. Prior to a few weeks ago you could have tethered our back four with a piece of string and the full backs were involved in the square passing. 

Clearly this is not the only change as I believe the tempo and intensity is far higher than it's been for some time but this and some other subtle changes have been huge in my view.

I think some of the difference is that although the full backs still get involved, it's more the position they get involved in. When we have the ball Pickering and more likely JRC tend to drop into the deep midfield position. This creates two things; it gives the central defenders an extra option there and strengthens the midfield position. But it also means that they won't be boxed in if they receive the ball in a traditional full back position. What was noticeable earlier in the season was that teams would press our full backs there once they received the ball and had nowhere to go. 

Obviously there's far more that's changed leading to our upturn in form, but this is one tactical tweak I've noticed really since Rotherham. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Sam Gallagher was tremendous again today, his work ethic is head and shoulders above every other player in blue n white.

He doesn’t score enough goals, but his defensive abilities are integral to this side and he was colossal today tracking back and defending. 

That's simply unfair. Gallagher was excellent today - but a big part of why he's a professional footballer (and why every manager gets excited when they first see him walk through the door) is that he's an exceptional athlete. When he's playing with commitment he's a handful for anyone in this league (albeit he's still not really a threat to score).

He put in a tremendous shift today, but so did everyone in blue and white. 

• Like 3

Again left absolutely buzzing by this team, I probably let it get to me too much at times but football massively influences my general mood.

I hold my hands up, I've called for the managers head previously. So have many on here, also many of my circle of friends. Can't speak for all on here but the friends are absolute die hard fans, the ones who's been through the good and the bad 80s onwards. We hate Burnley, not just for the sake of a song, we literally despise them. What followed that loss was horrendous (for a while). I saw no way out, I really didn't. The football was dreadful, nobody seemed up for it, certain players like Travis seemed to be going backwards. Why? I have no idea? Struggling with the new approach? Maybe, but the gutless performances some showed just baffle me, especially now.

When JDT took over I was buzzing (not blowing my trumpet too much but I mentioned him first). Following that he continued to grow on me, little things like the youngsters doing presentations etc. Great start to the season, cheeky chappy interviews, I loved it.

After that we hit turbulence, so much so my head was lodged in the roof.

Corners have been turned, players have had rockets way up their backsides.

What I'm seeing now is what I was crying out for! Men in blue and white battling for the cause, having each others backs! Pace, passing, Hendry and Moran like figures at the back.

JDT, you got me believing again.

Any coaches got space for Stoke? 🥲

• Like 5

Thomas although didn’t get on the ball as much as we all liked, his defending & tracking back today was second to none. 
Can’t remember when it was but he sprinted back more or less half of the pitch to take the ball off their player & win it back…
Hopefully we can sign him on the cheap.

Edited by BankEnd Rover
  • Like 9

8 minutes ago, roverandout said:

My problem with Gallagher is his ariel ability is poor for someone his size. He very rarely wins headers. Though I thought he worked hard and put in a forwards performance.  

Gallagher today did something quite brilliant,  won the ball, eyed up where he wanted it and literally flicked it onto himself. Sorry but if a big name striker did that sky sports would go into meltdown! Genuinely a work of art, albeit a bit different. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

If Man City/Man Utd/Liverpool etc had scored the goal we scored today, it would be on a loop on Sky Sports and hailed as one of the greatest counter-attacking goals in the history of football. 

In fairness just watched it back on sky and they were loving it, very complimentary 

1 minute ago, Ossydave said:

In fairness just watched it back on sky and they were loving it, very complimentary 

It was a brilliant goal. Every pass was perfect, and the finish was excellent, but it was the speed of the counter that was Prem quality. Gally, Thomas, Szmodics and Dolan absolutely flew up the pitch. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

It was a brilliant goal. Every pass was perfect, and the finish was excellent, but it was the speed of the counter that was Prem quality. Gally, Thomas, Szmodics and Dolan absolutely flew up the pitch. 

The Sheffield players couldn’t even get close to making a challenge 

1 minute ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Absolutely, also against Leicester we were like a red arrows attack.

Now then, can we do that on a (probably) rainy Friday night in Stoke?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

Even though we outplayed Sheffield, that mug heckingbottom still refused to be magnanimous in defeat. He watched a totally different game if he thought his team were the better side.  He comes across as an arrogant smug tw*t

Not even sure why he’s smug, he’s failed everywhere he’s managed hasn’t he. Somehow got the Leeds job, albeit when they were a low point. Then got this job full of parachute payments out of nowhere. 
Best agent in the business

Edit: just looked it up and won promotion with Barnsley from L1. Not a clue how he’s got a gig that would be odds on to be in the Prem in a year or two. 

Edited by superniko
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, den said:

Sheffield U are a good side. Let’s not kid ourselves that they aren’t. What teams must do against them first and foremost is match them physically. Rovers did that and more. Superb stuff.

I was a doubter for sure. I was absolutely certain we were dropping into no mans land again. What can you do other than hold your hand up. The football we’ve seen over the last couple of games has been far better than anything Mowbrays side achieved in 5 years. In fact it’s better than anything we’ve seen since we were relegated IMO.

All of a sudden we have key men all over the park. Shouts out to JRC and Smodic. From impressing virtually nobody to looking like leaders all of s sudden. Dolan has lifted his game to way above what it was while Carter has been brilliant as well.

As for JDT he’s answering the critics (me included) in the best and only way- with performances on the park.

Its a long time since I was as impressed.

Agree with all this. The commentators also mentioned today that we don't play needlessly around at the back as much.  For me, dropping Morton and  as shocked as I am to say it, Pears,  are the key changes.  

Pears is quite happy to put his laces through the ball and get rid.  His distribution is far superior to Kaminski.  This seems to have coincided with a team decision that it's ok to clear the ball and turn it over in their half not ours. 

As a result we aren't gifting team chance after chance.  It's a far more pragmatic approach.

If JDT has swallowed his pride a little on that front, then hats off... 

It's a bit like the time in league one- after the first few defeats - when Mowbray realised we couldn't  tip tap our way out of the division and changed the system to be more direct. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RVRVRS said:

Buckley was giving the linesman an earful as I was right in front of him, should have been a Red card all day.

HIs temperament lets him down. He gets a red card today and he’s out of the team having just established himself again. He seems to be a slow learner. I never saw any point in mouthing off to the officials, you just turn them against you.