BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield United (h) - 4/3/23

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’m glad they kept 11 on in some ways. We always seem to struggle playing against 10.

Some of the SU players were visibly very frustrated at being unable to break us down. I think them going down to 10 would have really killed off their morale.

I see they play their game in hand at Reading tomorrow. I can't see any other result than a win for them there.

Just now, booth said:

Some of the SU players were visibly very frustrated at being unable to break us down. I think them going down to 10 would have really killed off their morale.

I see they play their game in hand at Reading tomorrow. I can't see any other result than a win for them there.

The game was end to end. That suited us. If they had have gone down to ten it would have been everybody behind the ball and try and catch us on the break. Maybe they would have done ? 

15 minutes ago, booth said:

Them being down to 10 men would have been a fair result. If they feel hard done by show them the replay, and the woodwork being smashed twice.

I've seen players sent off for less and stay on the field for worse. That's how it goes

Hitting the woodwork is irrelevant really.... might as well miss by a mile, like Buckley did

I was impressed by SheffU in that first half 30 minutes . If they play like that again in the cup we might not be so lucky next time.  Good team, better than Burnley IMO

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I was impressed by SheffU in that first half 30 minutes . If they play like that again in the cup we might not be so lucky next time.  Good team, better than Burnley IMO

You're fishing on the wrong thread Jim.

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

I've seen players sent off for less and stay on the field for worse. That's how it goes

Hitting the woodwork is irrelevant really.... might as well miss by a mile, like Buckley did

I've always thought they were better than Burnley but obviously they don't have the same stamina. Burnley struck lucky with their young loanees, Bellis, Tella and Maatsen combined with their other signings gelling quickly. Of course it helps that they could sign an army of players, so if one didn't work the other would.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

2023-24 season tickets should be on sale yesterday.

Never ceases to amaze me how clueless the Club and so many fans are about the situation with attendances.

We've 8000-9000 season ticket holders in a 31000 seat stadium. To be getting an extra 4000-5000 walk ons (almost 50% of our season ticket base) turning up for a lunchtime televised game with no ticket promotion is a good effort.

Can't imagine many other clubs would be able to turn around and say that only about half the people in the ground on Saturday were ST holders. Usually you'd be way higher than that.

Waggott can run a couple of promotions for midweek televised games, he can encourage people to wave their flags. Unless he radically alters his approach to season tickets and in doing so gets substantially more than 8000-9000 buying then it matters little.

That isn't just pricing, but is mainly. Also important is actually pushing them and how better to encourage people to buy than during a promotion push and in fantastic form.

Instead he will wait until the summer when the dust has settled and then try to sneak through further price increases.

All fair points made there. 

I would hope that they are on sale before the Norwich home game and I think Waggott has said they should be on sale before the seasons ends, 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

All fair points made there. 

I would hope that they are on sale before the Norwich home game and I think Waggott has said they should be on sale before the seasons ends, 

The season doesn't end till the fourth of June. 

1 hour ago, rigger said:

The season doesn't end till the fourth of June. 

You may be right, technically @rigger; but to all intents and purposes, our season could end at the end of Luton Town game at Ewood at the end of next month.

Assuming that, from now on, we get crowds of similar size to the home game at the end of our last promotion season, it would surely be completely and totally remiss - or, in plain English, "a sackable offence" - for Waggott not to have application forms for 2023-2024 Season tickets to be attached to all applications for, at least, a ticket for each and every home game in April.

45 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

You may be right, technically @rigger; but to all intents and purposes, our season could end at the end of Luton Town game at Ewood at the end of next month.

Assuming that, from now on, we get crowds of similar size to the home game at the end of our last promotion season, it would surely be completely and totally remiss - or, in plain English, "a sackable offence" - for Waggott not to have application forms for 2023-2024 Season tickets to be attached to all applications for, at least, a ticket for each and every home game in April.

I was commenting on Chaddy quoting Waggott as saying season tickets will be on sale before the end of the season. So that is anytime, between now and the 4th of June.

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

His standing leg slipped as he was about to shoot IIRC. Should have scored. I too thought we were lucky to be ahead at half time. Sheffield ought to have scored several times and we were all over the place defensively at times.

Nonsense. They had about 3 half chances. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I agree

in my opinion it is another lesson for people not writing off players too quickly. Plenty of talk has been had about him being a waste of money but looks like he’s really settled in both off and on the pitch 

Yep, I was one who had written him off. However, in this pressing style where have suddenly adopted there is no-one better at leading it from the front. Add to that his knack of being on the end of good chances and I'm more than willing to admit I was wrong on him. In fact, I'd go as far as to say he's becoming a key player for us.

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The game was end to end. That suited us. If they had have gone down to ten it would have been everybody behind the ball and try and catch us on the break. Maybe they would have done ? 

Very speculative though?

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Hitting the woodwork is irrelevant really....

I've seen players sent off for less and stay on the field for worse.

That's how it goes

When he's already been booked?

might as well miss by a mile, like Buckley did

Might as well slip over with the goal gaping in front of you for that matter! These are all "ifs" and all opinion. As far as I'm concerned, taking the game overall, we were the better side and totally deserved to win.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

They're more thuggish than Burnley.  Teams with pace and better footballers can play around them like we did. They don't really possess anyone in midfield that can play with any tempo. A good footballing team can have their number 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

They're more thuggish than Burnley.  Teams with pace and better footballers can play around them like we did. They don't really possess anyone in midfield that can play with any tempo. A good footballing team can have their number 

Yeah, I also liked that they had an extra man in midfield and an extra centre back which has caused us major issues in the past, but we won the midfield battle.

• Like 1

The first 20-25 minutes of the 2nd half was as impressive as I've seen us in a long time - as good as, if not better than Leicester. I was braced for a Sheffield United onslaught but we absolutely battered them with some old fashioned arte et labore - intricate passing complemented by outbattling them and absolutely running ourselves into the ground. Sorba Thomas epitomised that as well as anyone. 

• Like 3

On 06/03/2023 at 12:51, jim mk2 said:

If you're ignoring hitting the woodwork, you might as well ignore the entire performance of both sides and look at one thing only: Blackburn Rovers 1 - 0 Sheffield United.

Nice passing doesn't count any more than hitting the woodwork. Hitting the woodwork shows you came very very close to more goals, which is far more important than general play. Goals are what count.

• Like 1