BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sheffield United (h) - 4/3/23

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Sheffield United (h) - 4/3/23

What a performance yesterday, every player came out with credit and difficult to pick a MoM as they were all outstanding. If we could replicate these last two performances for the remainder of the season, we will give ourselves a fantastic chance. Going to Ewood over the last few years has been hard work, not only the football under dull Tony and the many disappointments but the morgue like atmosphere that generally pervades the stadium. Yesterday, I got the feeling that the situation was reversible and once more, Ewood could become a bouncing and buoyant stadium with the downtrodden fan base finding their voices to support a team giving everything for that famous blue and white shirt.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I think the ‘morgue’ atmosphere is overplayed a bit. It is the same at every ground of club’s treading water - the likes of say Stoke or Cardiff are the same. It’s certainly not a unique Rovers phenomenon.

That doesn't fit the 'rovers fans are shit' narrative that is spun by some brain donors out there though. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, R0verb0y said:

Insomnia rules - I'm like a member of that family in the old Disneyland Paris TV advert who can't sleep because they're "too excited"!!

But at the same time, I'm trying not to go too far o.t.t. Don't forget that JDT's always spoken in terms of us being 'a Project', which is going to take a few transfer windows to come to fruition.

So, if we don't make automatic promotion this season - unlikely, I'd have thought because of the way that That Lot and Middlesbrough have got their acts together - and stumble at the play-off stage, I hope there'll be very few on here who'd turn on JDT and  what he's achieved since the days when we only knew of him as an international forward whose name most of this country mispronounced. (Nice touch by the BBC TV's commentator last Tuesday night, btw!)

However, if we stumble either in the Play-off games or in the F.A. Cup games between now and the Final, I'm sure only a curmudgewqon would fail to recognise how far JDT and his coaching team have brought us in the less than 12 months since he was announced as our new Head Coach.

Instead, I'd rather draw a parallel with the first promotion I can - just about! - remember. Under Johnny Carey, who was just as unknown a quantity - managerially - in the mid-1950s when Rovers appointed him.

It took him 4 seasons of finishing 8th, 6th, 6th, and 4th before the climax of the Division 2 season at The Valley - see recent entries on the Nostalgia Thread - and that fabulous 4-3 win we listened to on the old Light Programme. (The Dad of at least one of us on here only switched on very near the final whistle so he could check his pools coupon!😉)

So "Rome wasn't built in a day", and if we don't win either promotion or the F.A. Cup this season, there's always the next stages of "the Project"!

Incidentally, @Neilbristol, another possible solution to your problem's occurred to me. Certainly while we're playing so many games other than at 3.00 on a Saturday afternoon, if you can't pick up commentary on the BBC, what about the talkSPORT stations? Just an idea!

When we were going for promotion back in those days there wasn’t much incentive for players to leave clubs. With the ” Maximum Wage “ wages were the same everywhere. So that meant the likes of up and coming international players like Clayton, Douglas, Vernon, and Dobing could be kept at the club for seasons on end. Today all of those would have been lured away after a season or so.

Look at Brentford and all the players they’ve had lured away. The difference is they have been smart enough to find replacements every bit as good.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

That doesn't fit the 'rovers fans are shit' narrative that is spun by some brain donors out there though. 

Our home fanbase is a LOT different from the likes of Leeds for example (I'm not saying this is a bad thing). It's still proven time after time that Ewood reacts to what's on the pitch and will back the lads when the occasion arises.

Our away backing on Tuesday was one of the best in living memory, Leicester fans were also very complimentary. 

• Like 1

Didnt post yesterday as I stayed out for a few, but that was outstanding from front to back. It was difficult to pick a MOTM as practically all outfield players could have been in contention.

The only thing I will say is the workrate both yesterday and against Leicester was superb. I just hope when we play the likes of Reading at home we apply ourselves similarly and dont just go through the motions expecting a breakthrough to happen like we did against Wigan or Blackpool at home.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 7

15 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Agree with all this. The commentators also mentioned today that we don't play needlessly around at the back as much.  For me, dropping Morton and  as shocked as I am to say it, Pears,  are the key changes.  

Pears is quite happy to put his laces through the ball and get rid.  His distribution is far superior to Kaminski.  This seems to have coincided with a team decision that it's ok to clear the ball and turn it over in their half not ours. 

As a result we aren't gifting team chance after chance.  It's a far more pragmatic approach.

If JDT has swallowed his pride a little on that front, then hats off... 

It's a bit like the time in league one- after the first few defeats - when Mowbray realised we couldn't  tip tap our way out of the division and changed the system to be more direct. 

I’m with you on Pears. He’s made a big difference with his use of the ball and his clean handling. Good keepers inspire the defenders in front of them. If the back four just aren’t sure of the man behind them it affects their performance and because of that, the rest of the team. He’s another one who’s made a difference. I’ve never rated Kaminsky TBH. He scares me whenever he’s got the ball at his feet and the number of times he fumbles shots is too often.

Having said that, I also had no faith in Pears whatsoever having seen him previously. He’s had it relatively easy so far as well, taking into account our good form, but he’s done really well. Let’s see how he goes and how he copes if things get harder. Let’s see how he is with balls across the 6 yard box.

I just hope he keeps his place when Kaminsky's fit again.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I think the ‘morgue’ atmosphere is overplayed a bit. It is the same at every ground of club’s treading water - the likes of say Stoke or Cardiff are the same. It’s certainly not a unique Rovers phenomenon.

Agreed....but I've got some ITK news for you...possibly the only ITK news I'll ever have.

I sit quite near the dugouts. During a recent game (Swansea I think), when only the cold was keeping me awake, young Dacky started a warm up (it was the game he was rested and only on the subs bench). As he jogged towards the BBE, a big roar went up. It was probably the only noise the BBE had made all game. Between me and Dack was JDT. As the roar went up JDT threw his arms up in the air in the most frustrated way imaginable towards the BBE as if to say 'oh you are fucking awake and the only time you cheer is when golden boy Dacky is warming up'.

Context to this is that the DE Lower had chanted a few times during the match 'Can you hear the BBE, No, No'.

JDT is very complimentary about the fans, and he repeats often how the fans can help the team. You can tell he's desperate for the players to feel that connection and support. But you can also tell that behind the kind words is a plea for the fans to make more noise. Yesterday was brilliant, so was Leicester, but some games are fucking embarrassing. 

Maybe Rovers, and football fans in general, have changed. People do turn up and expect to be entertained these days, phones at the ready. Seating hasn't helped. 

There's 6 games left. It's up to the fans to make Ewood a bit of a bearpit for those 6 games. The manager is doing his bit and so are the players. Time for the grumblers to step up and be heard!

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, den said:

I’m with you on Pears. He’s made a big difference with his use of the ball and his clean handling. Good keepers inspire the defenders in front of them. If the back four just aren’t sure of the man behind them it affects their performance and because of that, the rest of the team. He’s another one who’s made a difference. I’ve never rated Kaminsky TBH. He scares me whenever he’s got the ball at his feet and the number of times he fumbles shots is too often.

Having said that, I also had no faith in Pears whatsoever having seen him previously. He’s had it relatively easy so far as well, taking into account our good form, but he’s done really well. Let’s see how he goes and how he copes if things get harder. Let’s see how he is with balls across the 6 yard box.

I just hope he keeps his place when Kaminsky's fit again.

In quite a bit of pain.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Agreed....but I've got some ITK news for you...possibly the only ITK news I'll ever have.

I sit quite near the dugouts. During a recent game (Swansea I think), when only the cold was keeping me awake, young Dacky started a warm up (it was the game he was rested and only on the subs bench). As he jogged towards the BBE, a big roar went up. It was probably the only noise the BBE had made all game. Between me and Dack was JDT. As the roar went up JDT threw his arms up in the air in the most frustrated way imaginable towards the BBE as if to say 'oh you are fucking awake and the only time you cheer is when golden boy Dacky is warming up'.

Context to this is that the DE Lower had chanted a few times during the match 'Can you hear the BBE, No, No'.

JDT is very complimentary about the fans, and he repeats often how the fans can help the team. You can tell he's desperate for the players to feel that connection and support. But you can also tell that behind the kind words is a plea for the fans to make more noise. Yesterday was brilliant, so was Leicester, but some games are fucking embarrassing. 

Maybe Rovers, and football fans in general, have changed. People do turn up and expect to be entertained these days, phones at the ready. Seating hasn't helped. 

There's 6 games left. It's up to the fans to make Ewood a bit of a bearpit for those 6 games. The manager is doing his bit and so are the players. Time for the grumblers to step up and be heard!

Fandom has undoubtedly changed. The days of a home crowd backing the team and going for it from minute 1 has largely gone. 

It is certainly understandable here after a decade in the doldrums. However, it doesn’t take much to rouse them; a crunching tackle, pressing hard etc. If a team grafts the fans appreciate it. Yesterday was a good example of how players and fans can feed off each other to help get over the line.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

• J*B unpinned this topic

Genuinely thought this would be a game too far for our lads after Tuesdays effort but love being proved wrong.

Battled superbly as a team and played some good stuff at times. Didn't really think Sheff Utd troubled us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

The heart and soul has been ripped out of the club. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

aynepotter.gif

• Like 1