BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Huddersfield (a) 10/4/23 @ 12.30pm

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I always wore two watches with stop/start features, one a Casio cheap thing and the other a Polar heart date monitor. I regularly stopped Casio one for injuries, cautions etc and when the Polar got to 45 and 90 minutes I had an idea of how long to play by subtracting one from the other. If I try a team were blatantly time wasting I would add a few minutes to that. The trick was though remembering to restart the Casio 😂😂. The additional time announced is the minimum but even during that there are stoppages which, as you say don't always get added on.

Timekeeping by the officials is not an exact science and that is why it's so random. It's an area where we could see huge improvement by taking it away from the officials and having an independent time keeper who is in communication with the referee like both codes of rugby. I also think teams would realise there won't be the same latitude given and therefore less likely to be abused. I know it's an area that Collina is keen to improve on as demonstrated in the World Cup.

I watch rugby league and the time keeping is a doddle.  Both teams have an official timekeeper and they do it together. The ref signals to stop the clock and start the clock. No arguments about how long was to be played. They blow the hooter and game is over the next time the ball goes dead. Of course you can see teams score after the hooter sounds but not often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I always wore two watches with stop/start features, one a Casio cheap thing and the other a Polar heart date monitor. I regularly stopped Casio one for injuries, cautions etc and when the Polar got to 45 and 90 minutes I had an idea of how long to play by subtracting one from the other. If I try a team were blatantly time wasting I would add a few minutes to that. The trick was though remembering to restart the Casio 😂😂. The additional time announced is the minimum but even during that there are stoppages which, as you say don't always get added on.

Timekeeping by the officials is not an exact science and that is why it's so random. It's an area where we could see huge improvement by taking it away from the officials and having an independent time keeper who is in communication with the referee like both codes of rugby. I also think teams would realise there won't be the same latitude given and therefore less likely to be abused. I know it's an area that Collina is keen to improve on as demonstrated in the World Cup.

Shouldn't be in the hands of the ref. An official away from the pitch should stop the clock when play stops and start it agin once its in play. He/she should signal full-time to the ref who then blows his whistle.

Refs have enough to think about.

Anyway,let's hope the there's impetus from such a dramatic game and we make it. Well done for that 2nd half Rovers.

81% possession should count for something!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

Shouldn't be in the hands of the ref. An official away from the pitch should stop the clock when play stops and start it agin once its in play. He/she should signal full-time to the ref who then blows his whistle.

Refs have enough to think about.

Anyway,let's hope the there's impetus from such a dramatic game and we make it. Well done for that 2nd half Rovers.

81% possession should count for something!

Given the mess they make of VAR they’d probably make a mess of time keeping as well.

• Like 1

I was at a game at Burnden Park years ago. There was a bloody great clock on front of the main stand. About 15 minutes before the end of the game the ref blew for time ! Everybody went off and the fans started to leave. We could see the clock and we couldn’t figure out why the players had gone off so we hung around. After about 5 to 10 minutes the players came rushing back onto the pitch. Some were putting their kit back on and some looked like they’d just got out of the shower.

We we’re losing 2-1 at that point and the score stayed that way unfortunately.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

So it would be ok for a ball boy to push a player over if the player tried to snatch the ball or swore?

Swearing is an absolute irrelevance, and if a player has to snatch the ball from the ball boy, then again he isn't doing his job. Ball boys give the ball to players so the game can continue. They're hardly ever needed, it's a simple job, and that's the only reason they're there. If they fuck around with that I have no sympathy.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was at a game at Burnden Park years ago. There was a bloody great clock on front of the main stand. About 15 minutes before the end of the game the ref blew for time ! Everybody went off and the fans started to leave. We could see the clock and we couldn’t figure out why the players had gone off so we hung around. After about 5 to 10 minutes the players came rushing back onto the pitch. Some were putting their kit back on and some looked like they’d just got out of the shower.

It happened at Ewood once too. Ref blew for half-time and they trooped off. Fans mystified, 5 mins later both teams reappeared for the final few minutes of the half. 1960's, can't remember team or date. Parson?

4 hours ago, neophox said:

Play off is in our own hands with 6 games left...

Hull home

Coventry home

Preston away

Burnley home

Luton home

Millwall away

We really need to make it Fortress Ewood next games...

I really, really like JDT and hope to god he stays and is backed in the summer - but I have no confidence we'll get the result we need from that fixture list. That's about as tough as it comes. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If I didn’t know any better, I would have blamed that on Rovers current admin team. Greg and his motley crew of administration, could have been involved surely? 

Bookies have Boro and Luton as already in the play offs and no odds showing. Of the the rest, these are the odds.

Millwall 8/13

Rovers 10/11

PNE 9/2

Norwich 5/1

WBA 5/1

Coventry 15/2

Sunderland 11/1

Watford 40/1

It is a tough run-in in general, but is Hull and Coventry at home as the next two a fiendishly difficult way to start?

Mess them up and it’s probably all over, but get a couple of wins with a load of top 6 rivals to then play, we’ll have every chance.

11 hours ago, arbitro said:

Two suggestions I'd have would be anytime physios are on the pitch the clock is stopped and alternative punishments for certain forms of time wasting. Yellow cards are an insufficient punishment as often players are given multiple warnings before one is dished out and you never see a second yellow for time wasting. The reward outweighs the punishment.

One alternative punishment would be if during substitutions a player has not left the pitch within 20 seconds, the replacement is effectively in a sin-bin for 5 minutes. 

Another being, during restarts if the ball isn't back in play within say 20 seconds the restart is given to the opposition. Same with corners changing to a goal kick, or a goal kick to a corner. 

If there are any mitigating circumstances like a player carrying an injury, the ref has authority to step in and stop the clock. 

I'm not a fan of stopping the clock each time the ball goes out of play, but simple punishments such as turnovers of possession would hugely speed the game up and increase the quality of the product. JDT is correct when he says fans have paid money to watch, so play football. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Swearing is an absolute irrelevance, and if a player has to snatch the ball from the ball boy, then again he isn't doing his job. Ball boys give the ball to players so the game can continue. They're hardly ever needed, it's a simple job, and that's the only reason they're there. If they fuck around with that I have no sympathy.

Dead right. Ball boys are there to get the ball back to the players as quickly as possible, just like the multi ball system. Personally I would do away with them and, as we saw in the World Cup have balls placed on cones around the field. I have done games where the home team is leading and the ball boys have disappeared into the ether, clearly obeying an instruction from above.

• Like 1