BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (h) - 1/5/23

3 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I gave up on the season when the January transfer window slammed shut without at least one striker brought in.

We didn't even give ourselves a chance I'm afraid. 

I've felt like giving up at almost every point from that moment onwards, and have at times, but somehow, despite dreadful form, it has continued being mathematically possible. Just not conceding one of those late equalisers recently would have given us a strong chance going into the final day, because so many teams around us have also had stuttering form.

I look at how this league is looking to finish...Burnley are a strong side for this level but we saw the other day they're nothing that special and yet they've utterly ran away with it. Luton in third, Coventry in 5th, Millwall in 6th...this has been a fucking SHIT league this year. I can't help but feel we have missed a truly golden opportunity.

It's true it's the hope that kills you.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

So now we also need Preston to do us a favour and beat Sunderland in a game where Preston have nothing to play for. Yeh I'm sure they'll be well up for doing us a favour.

Think we are probably going to need to win both remaining games to do it now. Not happening IMO.

we need to win both games and we get a playoff place. 

• Like 3

It's always been in our hands always but we haven't made a fist of it and we've had the worst run in of those around us.

The hope is still there we haven't won for god knows how long so we are due but winning two on the bounce now is a long shot, from here to the moon i'd say.

We are going to need a whole heap of luck on top of keeping the commitment levels what they have been.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It's always been in our hands always but we haven't made a fist of it and we've had the worst run in of those around us.

The hope is still there we haven't won for god knows how long so we are due but winning two on the bounce now is a long shot, from here to the moon i'd say.

We are going to need a whole heap of luck on top of keeping the commitment levels what they have been.

It wasn't in our own hands this morning but, yep, you're right about the rest.

• Like 2

In our own hands is a funny way of putting it really. We have two games against teams who are both higher than us in the league. Yes it's in our hands, but it's equally in their hands, they're in the match too. Teams who have statistically outperformed us this season.

• Like 2

• Backroom

You never say never, but it would be a bit bonkers for us to finish 6th considering some of the pastings we've had this season, and our GD. Still, after 46 games the table doesn't lie, so if we do finish 6th it'll be on merit, and beating Luton and Millwall would obviously give us a big boost of confidence going into the playoffs. Assuming we finish outside the playoffs there's no real debate as to where our problems lie, so the recruitment team have a very clear remit on what is required for us to improve next season.  

7 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Pedantic alert! 😁

The only way to guarantee we make the playoffs is to win both our games. 

Not wishing to be pedantic but that should be 'pedant alert'. 😁

But you're right, we could make the play-offs with a win and a draw, as long as the win is against Millwall.

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I've felt like giving up at almost every point from that moment onwards, and have at times, but somehow, despite dreadful form, it has continued being mathematically possible. Just not conceding one of those late equalisers recently would have given us a strong chance going into the final day, because so many teams around us have also had stuttering form.

I look at how this league is looking to finish...Burnley are a strong side for this level but we saw the other day they're nothing that special and yet they've utterly ran away with it. Luton in third, Coventry in 5th, Millwall in 6th...this has been a fucking SHIT league this year. I can't help but feel we have missed a truly golden opportunity.

It's true it's the hope that kills you.

It's been death by a thousand cuts since January.

There's only so many times you can roll a combination of Hedges, Dolan, Gallagher and the corpse of Brereton-Diaz out there and expect something positive to happen.

• Like 7

And the goals to beat Luton and Millwall are coming from....?

I think our season is done, unless there is someone in the wings who can produce a miracle.

Am happy enough with the season, on balance, as we have exceeded expectations by a country mile, have put in place the nucleus of a very good side, have given the fans some renewed hope and much needed excitement, tempered of course with some shocking results and an empty cupboard in the Dingle saga.

I'll be there on Monday, possibly even taking the youngest (nearly 6) for her first game. I hope it will be a joyous celebration of all things Blackburn Rovers, and with any luck a platform on which to go into the last game with a glimmer of hope.

I just think perhaps we haven't quite got the steel yet... so am going:

Head Rovers 0 (muchos huffios puffios, not goalios) Luton 0 (a strongarm display of yawnfestery)

Heart Rovers 4 (finally someone gets a tonking) Luton 0 (already looking ahead to the playoffs so foot off the gas)

Hell in a Handcart Rovers 0 (no scoribus annus horribilis) Luton 2 (men versus boys)

COYB!

• Backroom
22 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's been death by a thousand cuts since January.

There's only so many times you can roll a combination of Hedges, Dolan, Gallagher and the corpse of Brereton-Diaz out there and expect something positive to happen.

Our position in the table largely relied on BBD scoring and the team rarely conceding. I think something like 13 of our 19 wins have been clean sheets. Once BBD's form dried up it was basically game over, as it is simply an impossible burden to ask our defence to keep a clean sheet repeatedly for the entire season. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3