BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (h) - 1/5/23

I think it is worth making the point that the death spiral started when Thomas was removed from the team, being ineligible for the cup QF. Thereafter, he’s had a few poor sub appearances and was equally poor against Knob End but we were probably more of a threat and better balanced with him starting and the subsequent results are a matter of record.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Danny O.Brien said:

Yeah Luton's front two will cause us problems. The rest of the team I'm not so sure about but they are on a great run. At home I'd be hopeful we can beat them. Just need to take our chances and get the crowd on side again. I know it's cliche but the atmosphere (until the goal) the other night was incredible. It had to push the players on. Beat these and go into the lady game of the season with a chance of the play offs and I think we'd all be happy with that.

Team wise I couldn't see much wrong with the way we set up the other night. Diaz although poor in the first half I think played a lot better after the break. He should've gone down for a penalty but i don't blame him for trying to get a shot away. He's a due a goal and although he's been missing for large parts of this season is on his day still our best forward. I'd have put kaminski back in by now but I don't think that will happen now. 

I thought the Rovers fans were fantastic before the goal and perhaps even more so afterwards, almost everyone stayed until the bitter end and got behind the team.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

Luton have been on a phenomenal run. Their last 10 away matches: W5 D5 L0 G12 GA5

No defeats and only 5 goals conceded in 10 away games.  

I'm sticking my neck out here and saying we might struggle to score 🤔

On the other hand, they are due a loss and we are long overdue a win and some luck.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

That's the demographic way of the country , Greater London expands on to the South Coast and upto Milton Keynes...

It's decent 11 players on a pitch with a good manager and a supportive board

Burnley have shown how it's done

There's no reason why the likes of Sheff Wed, Preston, Bolton and Rovers etc have languished for years while former tinpot clubs have come to the fore

Edited by jim mk2

11 minutes ago, Penwortham Blue said:

On the other hand, they are due a loss and we are long overdue a win and some luck.

Aye, that's been said a few times when we've come up against form teams recently. I'm still waiting for it to pan out. Hopefully this time it does. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets
  • Like 1

Dyche and the previous board made a silk purse out of a sows ear at Burnley although Coyle gave them some parachute money before that.

This time Kompany has bought them out this league first time of asking.

Rovers so desperately need that one season in the Prem to really genuinely rebuild like that lot.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

I would expect that, having already got a place in the play-offs, a guaranteed home tie in the second leg as well and now no chance of an automatic promotion, that Luton will be looking to not risk some of their first team players. I can't imagine that they want to risk Carlton Morris picking up an injury on Monday and putting him out of the play-offs. To a certain extent all their players will have that in the back of their minds on Monday. I can imagine that 5/6 of their squad who have been in and around the first team but primarily only making sub appearances would be a much better bet to play - they have something to prove and a desire to get into the team.

I'm not sure whether that helps us much - I have no idea who those players are, but I can't see them playing a full first team at least at kick-off

• Like 2

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

I would expect that, having already got a place in the play-offs, a guaranteed home tie in the second leg as well and now no chance of an automatic promotion, that Luton will be looking to not risk some of their first team players. I can't imagine that they want to risk Carlton Morris picking up an injury on Monday and putting him out of the play-offs. To a certain extent all their players will have that in the back of their minds on Monday. I can imagine that 5/6 of their squad who have been in and around the first team but primarily only making sub appearances would be a much better bet to play - they have something to prove and a desire to get into the team.

I'm not sure whether that helps us much - I have no idea who those players are, but I can't see them playing a full first team at least at kick-off

Or they don't playing the mighty blues over two legs in play offs and go for it against us and stops us now. Then they can rest their players on the last day of the season.

Edited by dingles staying down 4ever

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

Not so sure.

Two weeks until the first leg of the play offs yet, I imagine they will want to keep up momentum and go for the win.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I don't think they will be on the beach as such. I’m sure they'll be giving 100%. It makes sense though, that now the automatics are no longer possible, that extra 5% may no longer be there. But I do not think they'll turn up and just roll over.

April has also been a tough month for every team with so many games. I'm hoping they have a couple of players who may have been carrying niggles or are fatigued and subsequently get rested. It would be encouraging to see Morris and Lockyer not in the starting line up.

95% it is then…

• Like 3

Goodness only knows what kind of hijinks & shenanigans we play vs Luton. 

what an upside down footie world we live in; Bournemouth, BHA & Brentford in the PL, & burnley going up. If there’s another “B” team added next season, maybe it will be our turn. Not betting on it, though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norn Iron Rover said:

I'd earmarked this one back in October as my annual pilgrimage to Ewood and, despite Sky/Ryanair's best attempts to scupper my plans, flights, accommodation and tickets are now all sorted.

Hoping for another good performance and, with a bit more quality/luck in front of goal, a very valuable 3 points to take us to the final game of the season still with a decent chance of the playoffs.

COYB!

Your mindless dedication does you credit. 

I hope you are a native Ulsterman inveigled into the Blackburn cult!

If an exiled Blackburnian then equal respect. 

• Like 1

Surely our best chance of a goal is with Szmodics up front,he's the only player looking like scoring at the moment. 

Either Garrett into midfield or JRC, but that would mean not only disturbing the defence, but having to play Brittain, and I'm just not sure about Brittain. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

I think it is worth making the point that the death spiral started when Thomas was removed from the team, being ineligible for the cup QF. Thereafter, he’s had a few poor sub appearances and was equally poor against Knob End but we were probably more of a threat and better balanced with him starting and the subsequent results are a matter of record.

Think we lost it when Buckley got injured.

• Like 2

In the psychological game, I'd like JDT to talk up playing Garrett as the ball winner in midfield.

I'd be thinking twice in the Luton camp about having front line players facing a reckless hard as nails gives no quarter in block tackles teenager in a game with nothing at stake and the play offs less than two weeks away.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, johnradfordsubbuteo said:

Your mindless dedication does you credit. 

I hope you are a native Ulsterman inveigled into the Blackburn cult!

If an exiled Blackburnian then equal respect. 

Haha, there aren't many of us but yes, a proud Ulsterman and Rover. My wife regularly questions my sanity (and choice of team) but after 30 odd years of supporting Rovers through ups and downs (I'm looking at you Venkys) there's no hope for me.

Anyway, on the game, I really think this will be a big test of JDT's managerial skills to get this young team up for another 'cup final', particularly after the heartbreak of the last three. If he can get them playing with the same level of intensity then I think we can sneak a win!

Edited by Norn Iron Rover
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, jwlrovers said:

Think we lost it when Buckley got injured.

This is a load of rubbish.  He's been on the bench or not in the squad for more than half the season.

If you actually look at the facts, we tend to win when he's not playing and lose when he is....the stats are there for all to see.

Over rated chump but let's not let facts get in the way of the Bucko love in

Edited by Sparks Rover

22 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Drop Diaz and play Leonard,full 90 minutes,we want players who want to play for the Club.

Going through the motions before his BIG move aint good enough..fans deserve better.

My thought exactly, if were not getting in the play offs, we might as well not get in them with Blackburn Rovers players who are commited to the club.

• Like 1