BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Luton Town (h) - 1/5/23

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

BBD isn't a striker at all and would drift wide left natural. 

No its not a difficult to pick a team after the last night performance why change anything when it work overall 

But it didn't work, overall or not. We lost, how can that be working.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Only you would put Dolan up top after his no shows in the last 3 games v Cov, Burnley and Nobbers.  I'd go as far as saying you are trolling 

Dolan has been beyond pathetic the last few games . His pressing is pretty much useless as if he does win it . He then tackles himself .

Think his few goals and assists have really hidden how bad he's been this season.

Don't think I've ever seen a more frustrating player.

Would drop Travis aswel if we had another option .

• Like 3

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Luton Town (h) - 1/5/23
10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

From an attacking sense, it wasn't. Just trying to think out of the box. Get our top scorer up top.

but BBD isn't a striker tho. 

If you want a proper striker there then play Leonard there. 

The final ball/decision making wasn't good but everything was, so lets play the same team and a team that played very well overall. 

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

BBD isn't a striker at all and would drift wide left natural. 

No its not a difficult to pick a team after the last night performance why change anything when it work overall 

It Didn't work.  We barely created any real openings 

• Like 1

I have to admit I was one of the conductors of the Brereton-Diaz hype train last season. I even had a Chile flag out my window of my house after his winner v Preston at Ewood. The Preston locals on my estate absolutely loved it 😊 

He’s been awful since the WC break and I feel that JDT should drop him for this one.

But who replaces him?

Sorba has flattered to deceive, Hedges looks a tidy player but no end product. I love Dolans work rate but again looks lost in the final third of the pitch.

I watch Gallagher every week and think he has the attributes to be a half decent striker. We missed him last night, watching Barnes at least three times, hold Hyam off and trap the ball on his chest or to his feet was painful. He made it look so easy!

I hope we can somehow win this one!

Edited by BRFC_Polky
  • Like 2

I've got that feeling that we're totally down and out, but we're not are we, and it's still on - that game last night could be the making of them, you can't get any lower than that (OK yeah you can but..)

COYB

Edited by Groundhog

2 minutes ago, cesus said:

I'm hoping we practice some Coventry style corners before theis game to try and find some way of scoring. Those corners were excellent, ours in the main this season have been absolutely awful as well as most set plays.

Yeah our set plays are shocking, if we win a free kick in a dangerous position we might as well just give them the ball back, can't remember the last time I felt excitement for a set piece.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

On another note if Luton, bleeding, bloody naff Luton Town, reach the Premier League I might officially go mad and need locking up in padded cell.  There's enough rubbish southern fourth division clubs in the top flight without another ...

One of the oddities of English Football history, is that when the agreement to form the Premier League was signed by the 22 Clubs in the then 1st Division on 20th February 1992, it was signed by representatives of two Clubs, who, as yet, have never kicked a ball as a Premier League Club. The two Clubs concerned, Luton and Notts County, were relegated that season, and have never returned to the top flight ... 

As of this season, 50 Clubs have enjoyed at least one " season in the sun " in the Premier League .... I should much prefer it if Luton do not become the 51st ...

• Like 5

Even if we won it, it's very difficult to imagine all the other games before us having favourable results I'm afraid. Too little, too late now. Really fecking annoying it's on the Monday too although I suppose the extra rest may be beneficial.

He's got to play Leonard for me, just give him at least the first half and see how he gets on. With our fantastic administrative team and their inability to sort paperwork, he might be 1 of our only 2 strikers next season anyway so there's nothing to lose.

• Like 1

Even if we win two games it may come down to goal difference so we could lost out to goal difference this season.....the only hope I have is we win our two games and Coventry drop points away to Middlesbrough in the last round.... Sunderlands last game at Preston could be tough if Preston win their next game.

10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Luton weren't special when I went to Kenilworth Road but they're tough and pragmatic and they get the job done and win matches. Morris is a big lump up front and you wonder how he became a professional footballer but he scores goals and is a type of player we've lacked since Danny Graham finished. 

Our only hope is if we somehow manage to score first and hang on grimly by defending properly to the final whistle. If Luton score first we can forget it and might as well go home. 

On another note if Luton, bleeding, bloody naff Luton Town, reach the Premier League I might officially go mad and need locking up in padded cell.  There's enough rubbish southern fourth division clubs in the top flight without another

That's the demographic way of the country , Greater London expands on to the South Coast and upto Milton Keynes...

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You don't want to play Dolan up front but want to BBD there who doesn't play there or didn't press from the front? 

Why move Szmodics from playing from the number 10 role where he is playing well and in good form to playing wide left? 

You complain about playing players out of position but you just done it twice in your team selection? 

It's all a bit rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic isn't it and there's just fewer chairs as the weeks have passed since January.

I thought we looked best with Hedges left Gallagher down the middle (I know he's injured now) and Thomas right, with Dolan as a wide back up sub.

But it's beyond academic now.

Amen.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, johnradfordsubbuteo said:

It's all a bit rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic isn't it and there's just fewer chairs as the weeks have passed since January.

I thought we looked best with Hedges left Gallagher down the middle (I know he's injured now) and Thomas right, with Dolan as a wide back up sub.

But it's beyond academic now.

Amen.

I thought we look with Hedges wide right, Szmodics 10 role with Dolan with Gallagher up front 

Positives:

Luton aren't that great and with playoffs secured whether they rest players or not you feel they won't be at full throttle. Other than a midtable team with nothing to play for you can't get a better ask for a game. Well maybe a relegated team, but even so, it's the kind of game you want at this stage of the season. 

I also wonder if it not being in our hands will help our mentally fragile team. Pressures off with it being out of our control. 

Negatives

We are toothless. Bereton can't be arsed, Dolan and Hedges industrious but limited. It'll be hard to get the goals we need to win games. 

The horrible run we are on combined with even fewer options available from our very limited selection leaves us struggling. 

I've no idea what team to play. Bereton deserves dropping for phoning it in yet no one else is fot and can play striker. Maybe Leonard up top with Dolan and Hedges on the wings. Far, far from ideal but feel the other options are no better. 

Best hope is a tight game that we nab 1-0. 

• Like 1