BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pre season 23/24

10 hours ago, KentExile said:

Maybe would be better in the U21s? but it is pre season

With that line-up, taking 50 to the Austrian training camp (not counting the three lads leaving the club and the not fit duo) is entirely credible. I wonder if trialists A, B and C etc are in the party and hence only the front line 31 being named?

Fans going to the training session and the two games will no doubt confirm or otherwise...

23 minutes ago, philipl said:

With that line-up, taking 50 to the Austrian training camp (not counting the three lads leaving the club and the not fit duo) is entirely credible. I wonder if trialists A, B and C etc are in the party and hence only the front line 31 being named?

Fans going to the training session and the two games will no doubt confirm or otherwise...

From what I know/can tell, Mahoma, in the starting 11 was a trialist, as were Sellars-Flemming, Ross-Laing, Harper, Ibrahim, & Liard who were all on the bench. 

On a sad note, apparently Baker who was making his first start in about 2 years went off in a leg brace within 10 minutes of the game starting

15 hours ago, Upside Down said:

So getting absolutely pumped by the likes of Rotherham, Reading and Preston had nothing to do with us missing out on the playoffs?

If we'd have bothered to show up and actually tried to score a goal or something in all of the games like that we'd have been challenging for second place.

We did improve as the season went on though.

You can always take a game in isolation and say 'this cost us the play offs'. Obviously we were shite in those games, but doesn't mean I don't think the style of play (particularly as it has bedded in) is a bad thing. We just executed it appallingly at times in the first half of the season. 

7 hours ago, philipl said:

Trialists A, B and C cant play for us as they were playing for Accy on Saturday. lol

The change for me came over Christmas. Up until then we had been pissing around at the back but trying to play everything short and through midfield. This meant that when under pressure we would still try intricate little balls which kept costing us. At Burnley they were too good for us to play through them, and yet we continued even at 3-0 down. The only chance we had in their box actually came from one of the only long balls where we picked up the second ball and broke. It was the refusal to do anything else but short little balls, even in suicidal positions, that was pissing me off with JDT.

Then suddenly against Boro in December, during the first half Buckley was getting on the ball and pinging it long into the channels for the wide players to run after, which really got us on the front foot. We hadn't seen that all season. When we were under pressure players were suddenly clearing their lines instead of tippy tippy stuff. It's like there had been a group meeting and a change in instruction to allow more direct balls if required.

It didn't actually improve results, although it did cut out the numb goals we were conceding (Rotherham away aside). But I felt it was a definite improvement in how I wanted us to play, and that a proper couple of strikers may have been effective. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, Hasta said:

The change for me came over Christmas. Up until then we had been pissing around at the back but trying to play everything short and through midfield. This meant that when under pressure we would still try intricate little balls which kept costing us. At Burnley they were too good for us to play through them, and yet we continued even at 3-0 down. The only chance we had in their box actually came from one of the only long balls where we picked up the second ball and broke. It was the refusal to do anything else but short little balls, even in suicidal positions, that was pissing me off with JDT.

Then suddenly against Boro in the first half Buckley was getting on the ball and pinging them long into the channels for the wide players to run after, which really got us on the front foot. We hadn't seen that all season. When we were under pressure players were suddenly clearing their lines instead of tippy tippy stuff. It's like there had been a group meeting and a change in instruction to allow more direct balls if required.

It didn't actually improve results, although it did cut out the numb goals we were conceding (Rotherham away aside). But I felt it was a definite improvement in how I wanted us to play, and that a proper couple of strikers may have been effective. 

This feels accurate. We started to pass it better, but more crucially we also found a more pragmatic approach. We did start to pass it forward more often rather than panicking across our back line. That Burnley game still gives me the fear - we were shown the benchmark by Sheffield United the week before and totally ignored it. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, smiller14 said:

This feels accurate. We started to pass it better, but more crucially we also found a more pragmatic approach. We did start to pass it forward more often rather than panicking across our back line. That Burnley game still gives me the fear - we were shown the benchmark by Sheffield United the week before and totally ignored it. 

The midfield started to receive the ball from the defence and actually turn with it, rather than automatically passing it back to where it came from. Morton in particular was just starting to play more positively, shame he got injured when he did imo. 

It also has to be said, it started to click more when Pears came in. Whether we played more fluently because of him, or whether the team was getting better and it looked like Pears made the difference is open to debate. 

41 minutes ago, M_B said:

The midfield started to receive the ball from the defence and actually turn with it, rather than automatically passing it back to where it came from. Morton in particular was just starting to play more positively, shame he got injured when he did imo. 

It also has to be said, it started to click more when Pears came in. Whether we played more fluently because of him, or whether the team was getting better and it looked like Pears made the difference is open to debate. 

I think the personnel to some degree was irrelevant. It was the philosophy. It noticeably changed just before Pears came in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smiller14 said:

You can always take a game in isolation and say 'this cost us the play offs'. Obviously we were shite in those games, but doesn't mean I don't think the style of play (particularly as it has bedded in) is a bad thing. We just executed it appallingly at times in the first half of the season. 

There were at least 8 games that were that bad. That's not an isolated incident.

And how many post Rotherham in January?

Obviously we had a fair few teething problems in the first half of the season (yet we were still in the top 6 throughout by the way), it was to be expected with an average bunch of players adapting to a new broom after five years of plodding about.

• Like 2

Have we no pictures from Austria yet? Of fans falling out of bars at 2am and walking around Palaces and Castles eating bars of chocolate?

They don't make em like they used to.....

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Gav said:

Have we no pictures from Austria yet? Of fans falling out of bars at 2am and walking around Palaces and Castles eating bars of chocolate?

They don't make em like they used to.....

The footage will be coming up on the next episode of "football hooligans gone mad aaaaarrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!"