BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League 23-24

Just now, Hasta said:

Sky were told it’s not a penalty because “VAR want to leave as many decisions as possible to the on-field referee” 

😂😂🤡🤡

Yet VAR checks everything in other games, it's a penalty all day long, what's the point in VAR if they are not going to say to the ref, that's a penalty you should give that.

Feel for Wolves they were pretty good tonight, united poor for most of the match 

• Like 2

Ten Hag:

On Andre Onana: "He had very good saves, was very calm, very good debut. After the opponent touched the ball he dived in so it was the judgement of the officials and lucky for us no penalty. I think you can debate it but I think no penalty."

Go on then Erik, explain why you don’t think it’s a penalty.

‘Because it’s against my team’ isn’t an acceptable answer.

It's a penalty, but it's not as stonewall as some of you are making out. There's always going to be a degree of debate over a keeper making contact with a player when he's going for the ball and when that contact had no impact on anything following on from it.

I'd want it. I'd expect it to be given. But there will be far clearer penalties that aren't awarded this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It's a penalty, but it's not as stonewall as some of you are making out. There's always going to be a degree of debate over a keeper making contact with a player when he's going for the ball and when that contact had no impact on anything following on from it.

I'd want it. I'd expect it to be given. But there will be far clearer penalties that aren't awarded this season.

I think that it's more the fact that it would be an absolute stonewall penalty had it been the other way around.

• Like 2

The thing that stood out for me was the way Wolves were stronger in one on one challenges than Man U all over the park.

Either Wolves have had an exceptional pre-season conditioning what is a big and quick side or Man U can be bullied.

On that showing Wolves are are off my bottom three list and the worry level at Goodison must have gone up a notch.

Or Man U could be the big 6 team that finishes in the bottom half.

Pleasant dreams...

• Like 1

I think the non award of a penalty to Wolves last night was the worst VAR decision since it's inception and there is a lot to go at. Firstly it should be seen in real time but the officials safety net of VAR should absolutely see it. I'm told that Salisbury (the VAR on the night who has lots of previous in this regard) was it as normal contact and not a 'clear and obvious error' by the on field referee. The fact it was the Rags at home and in the last minute just adds to the conspiracy theories but I don't think for one minute it is done with malice. It's simply incompetence. It once again highlights the real weakness in VAR which isn't the system itself but the match officials who use it.

Gary O'Neil has already had an apology from Jon Moss who told him it should have been a penalty. Will the yellow card he received for complaining be rescinded now?

There was also an identical incident to the one at Rotherham on Saturday when the lad got the first of his two yellow cards. Varane stood a couple of yards away from the fans whilst celebrating and his teammates pushed him towards the crowd. He wasn't cautioned. Personally I think the caution on Saturday was harsh but I have seen some comments from Rotherham fans asking for consistency. It will be interesting when Howard Webb goes to watch Rotherham the next time and he is challenged about it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

If VAR is only going to be used for clear and obvious errors, then refs have to stop using it as a safety net to wimp out of decisions. 

Exactly this. At real speed it looked a penalty but nowadays too often the referees won't give it and rely on VAR to bail them out. It's like its less embarrassing to say "I didn't see it" than for it to be given, overturned and say "I saw it incorrectly" 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The fact it was the Rags at home and in the last minute just adds to the conspiracy theories but I don't think for one minute it is done with malice.

I honestly reckon if that happens in the United box in the first 10 minutes they give it. As it basically changes the final result of the game I think the VAR decides it's too big a call to make.

I believe the VAR official has a slight bit of doubt about it, and  rather than make the correct call he is decides it will be less controversial not to give it than give it.

2 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I honestly reckon if that happens in the United box in the first 10 minutes they give it. As it basically changes the final result of the game I think the VAR decides it's too big a call to make.

I believe the VAR official has a slight bit of doubt about it, and  rather than make the correct call he is decides it will be less controversial not to give it than give it.

The decision has certainly added fuel to that particular fire but I honestly believe it was incompetence rather than any subconscious bias. It happens too often and at most grounds for it to be anything else in my view.

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

true, plus the chap was 6"7, he's the swiss peter crouch, of course his head is going to be in the way.

i dont like united but it wasnt a penalty either.

yes, onana is in my fpl team.

Just now, arbitro said:

The decision has certainly added fuel to that particular fire but I honestly believe it was incompetence rather than any subconscious bias. It happens too often and at most grounds for it to be anything else in my view.

I don't think it's necessarily the clubs involved . I think it's the time of the incident combined with the mentality of that particular official. But I'm just guessing obviously as I can't understand how someone trained for that role can get that so badly wrong when millions of couch potatoes who've never read a rule book in their life all clearly see it.

2 minutes ago, Tricky said:

i dont like united but it wasnt a penalty either.

Fortunately for common sense, the head of referees and the PGMOL both disagree with you and say it was blatant.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Exactly this. At real speed it looked a penalty but nowadays too often the referees won't give it and rely on VAR to bail them out. It's like its less embarrassing to say "I didn't see it" than for it to be given, overturned and say "I saw it incorrectly" 

From its inception I always said that VAR was too much of a comfort blanket for some officials in this country. In tournaments and most other countries there isn't the level of error we see over here. As I said that is solely down to the operators. A fortune been spent on VAR but the most basic element of it is sorely lacking.

https://www.premierleague.com/video/single/3625210#!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

After his errors last season and that last night, I'm beginning to think this Michael Salisbury chap sits in the VAR room watching Netflix 'cos he's certainly not watching the f*cking game!

Used to work with his old man who was also a ref up to Championship level. Week in week out he was the subject of controversy too, looks like it runs in the family.

• Like 1