BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Leopold Wahlstedt. About Damn Time.

8 minutes ago, rigger said:

Braveheart.

Not having that, the 90s where a time we were drowning in world class centrebacks.

Maldini being the best ever at left and later CB. Even the premier League had Sol Campbell and Tony Adams (over rated imo) was Lauren Blanc playing around that time?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blow-in said:

Not having that, the 90s where a time we were drowning in world class centrebacks.

Maldini being the best ever at left and later CB. Even the premier League had Sol Campbell and Tony Adams (over rated imo) was Lauren Blanc playing around that time?

It all depends on what you want from your central defenders.

On 15/12/2023 at 09:22, LeftWinger said:

Agree. Definitely felt Friedel and Duff were the best in the world in their position at that time. 

2002 - we had three players who could have graced the Champions League final in Duff, Fredel and Tugay. And two who, though past their best, had recently won it in Yorke and Cole.

Feels like a long time ago now, even if Hughes brought in some top players a bit later.

Wonder when we will next see a player of the quality of Shearer, Duff , Tugay, Freidel, Cole, Bellamy, Santa Cruz.

Since we've got relegated I think the only player who has played at Rovers and gone on to play CL football is I think Raya, and then just since he joined Arsenal this season.

Adam Wharton is a fabulous player at our level, and will go on to have a great career. But I think it will be a bit more Tom Cairney than Paul Scholes.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I think he's a bit out of his depth but I also don't think I'm that surprised. He wasn't ready when he came to the club and I think JDT and co. wanted him to be 2nd choice for the season while he learned how to be a better goalkeeper. Unfortunately, Pears, despite looking fairly solid at times, hit a bad run of form, many fans were crying out for Wahlstedt, and due to Pears' injury he's been thrown into the deep end too early. It isn't that fair to criticise a player who is making mistakes that an inexperienced goalkeeper from a lower level would make. He is clearly trying but he just isn't ready and we have no one to step in who has that experience. I expect Pears will be recalled as early as possible and will remain our number 1 until the end of the season. 

Edited by Tim Southampton Rover
  • Like 8

You could well be right, and if so, not far off a million quid for a skint club on a development signing/back up is a fine example of the muddled thinking down there.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Tim Southampton Rover said:

I think he's a bit out of his depth but I also don't think I'm that surprised. He wasn't ready when he came to the club and I think JDT and co. wanted him to be 2nd choice for the season while he learned how to be a better goalkeeper. Unfortunately, Pears, despite looking fairly solid at times, hit a bad run of form, many fans were crying out for Wahlstedt, and due to Pears' injury he's been thrown into the deep end too early. It isn't that fair to criticise a player who is making mistakes that an inexperienced goalkeeper from a lower level would make. He is clearly trying but he just isn't ready and we have no one to step in who has that experience. I expect Pears will be recalled as early as possible and will remain our number 1 until the end of the season. 

The thing is, whilst Wahlstedt is still young for a keeper, he isn't a kid and has played a senior game for Sweden.

He must have been playing a lot better than he is now to earn international recognition.

He needed removing from the firing line some time ago, and Hilton can't be up to much at 24 if he isn't getting considered under these circumstances.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, martonrover said:

The thing is, whilst Wahlstedt is still young for a keeper, he isn't a kid and has played a senior game for Sweden.

He must have been playing a lot better than he is now to earn international recognition.

He needed removing from the firing line some time ago, and Hilton can't be up to much at 24 if he isn't getting considered under these circumstances.

He isn’t 

• Like 1

I'm fuming that we are in this position yet again and it's all down to incompetence can't even really blame cost cutting as they spent big on him.  I'm fuming at some of the goals a pro keeper has let in and whilst no one can help Pears getting injured he was hardly stamping his claim to be a permanent number one.

I'm fuming they've just sleep walked into this position with keepers yet again never learning that making do with cheap options hoping to make a few quid is proven high risk.

I am though feeling sorry for Leo he ain't doing it on purpose and the last thing he needs are fans on his back and boneheads singing stupid songs.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Tim Southampton Rover said:

This! Totally agree!

Edited by NeilInBristol
Enter too quickly

On 01/01/2024 at 15:58, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

His links pre-Rovers to Liverpool and Utd show the power of an agent. 

He makes Fettis look like Buffon. 

His agent made us look like a buffoon.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

This! Totally agree!

It's worth remembering he is less that a year younger than Pears but Pears has been getting pelters for a couple of years on here while every second post on here is that Leo needs time/was thrown in before he was ready. 

What am I missing here? 

1 hour ago, Blow-in said:

It's worth remembering he is less that a year younger than Pears but Pears has been getting pelters for a couple of years on here while every second post on here is that Leo needs time/was thrown in before he was ready. 

What am I missing here? 

That Pears is worse than Leo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blow-in said:

What am I missing here? 

Great point. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tomphil said:

I'm fuming that we are in this position yet again and it's all down to incompetence can't even really blame cost cutting as they spent big on him.  I'm fuming at some of the goals a pro keeper has let in and whilst no one can help Pears getting injured he was hardly stamping his claim to be a permanent number one.

I'm fuming they've just sleep walked into this position with keepers yet again never learning that making do with cheap options hoping to make a few quid is proven high risk.

I am though feeling sorry for Leo he ain't doing it on purpose and the last thing he needs are fans on his back and boneheads singing stupid songs.

Ironically, the injury has confirmed his place at number one. 

• Like 1

I do not for a second rate Pears, not good enough for this level.

However, he does have some neat and tidy games, whereas over the past month Leo’s head/confidence has gone. You are fearing the worst from every cross or shot, no matter how weak.

Obviously we need an actual number one goalkeeper, we won’t be getting one of those, but Leo still needs taking out the firing line.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3