BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Window - Rating /10

Probably none are realistic, seeing as deals individually need the green light from the owners and Buckley went without bringing someone in so the massive wage budget slashing has left no room for manouevre.

Even if we could afford a freebie, it would be difficult to find a good one, free for a reason at this stage and miles away from match fitness. Whilst we do need experience, most on that list are too far gone and havent played much football in years, players like Dann, Grabban, Lyle Taylor, Martin etc, some of whom that have been mentioned who would be beyond desperate.

The most obvious gaps in the squad are perhaps left back, central midfield now Buckley has gone and wide right. You are going to struggle to find a freebie to improve the squad especially on that list. Fosu is the most obvious winger but usually plays on the left, wouldnt give us the pace we need and wouldnt really get many goals or assists. Josh Onomah is a decent player and somewhat impressed at PNE (and has had part of a pre season at Stoke) but has had big questions about his attitude and fitness. Bertrand would be ideal but would be unobtainable Id suggest.

If there was any worthwhile freebies and in the unlikely scenario that the owners let us have another body on the wage bill. I suspect the value would be on players we have never heard of or at least seen ourselves that have been released by foreign clubs.

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Probably none are realistic, seeing as deals individually need the green light from the owners and Buckley went without bringing someone in so the massive wage budget slashing has left no room for manouevre.

Even if we could afford a freebie, it would be difficult to find a good one, free for a reason at this stage and miles away from match fitness. Whilst we do need experience, most on that list are too far gone and havent played much football in years, players like Dann, Grabban, Lyle Taylor, Martin etc, some of whom that have been mentioned who would be beyond desperate.

The most obvious gaps in the squad are perhaps left back, central midfield now Buckley has gone and wide right. You are going to struggle to find a freebie to improve the squad especially on that list. Fosu is the most obvious winger but usually plays on the left, wouldnt give us the pace we need and wouldnt really get many goals or assists. Josh Onomah is a decent player and somewhat impressed at PNE (and has had part of a pre season at Stoke) but has had big questions about his attitude and fitness. Bertrand would be ideal but would be unobtainable Id suggest.

If there was any worthwhile freebies and in the unlikely scenario that the owners let us have another body on the wage bill. I suspect the value would be on players we have never heard of or at least seen ourselves that have been released by foreign clubs.

Buckley was the 'out' to the Moran 'in'.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Buckley was the 'out' to the Moran 'in'.

That doesnt make any sense. Otherwise Tomasson would have never been under the impression that we would sign anyone else which Broughton publically expected with 24 hours to go.

Moran was the 5th of 7 signings and Buckley left in the last hours.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Andy said:

Garrett was due to go out to cover the Moran in, but the loan deal fell through.

We had to get one body out of the door before the window closed - and it ended up being Buckley.

The timeline makes no sense, nor do Tomasson's surprise that another body didnt come in despite what Broughton had said, which was 3 players in talks.

But either way, both of our opinions are seemingly resulting in no scope for any freebies.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't put a rating on this at the time as I simply didn't know. But it's looking pretty grim. Probably about 3 or 4.

Siggurdson appears good but is the direct replacement for Brereton and his goals. Moran also looks like he should be an upgrade on some previous loanees.

However we were warned about Ennis injury record, and to be honest we have yet to see him at all. He could be amazing, but if he only is available for less than half the games then it's a poor bit of recruitment.

Our final pieces of the jigsaw seem to be unable to get into the side despite us having deficiencies in all areas - keeper, defence, defensive midfield and up front. JDT has seen all of them up close in training and their fleeting appearances and seems to rate Wahlsted, Tronstad and Telalovic as bench-warmers only. That is therefore a major fail by the recruitment team, who to be fair were completely shafted by the budget shifts. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

Yep, crap window, down to the owners. 

Specifically wanted an experienced centre back, wasn't allowed by the owners. Kid on loan warming the bench.

Badly needed a striker, got 2 but amidst the restrictions so such a limited field. One a freebie from Plymouth who looks good but is no use constantly injured. One a desperate deadline day punt from the German 4th division who is clearly not up to it but such were the restrictions...

Needed width, blocked by the owners.

Sigurdsson was poor yesterday but its his third game in a week after a bad injury, overall a promising signing. Moran looks a good player, although the owners unwillingness to allow us a right winger means he may be needed out of position. Pressure on Wahlstedt now to step up as our main signing, and the likes of Tronstad and Hill need to prove they aren't just making up the numbers.

• Like 1

Terrible window.

We needlessly spunked most of our budget on a reserve goalie; Ennis is a crock; Tronstad looks way off so far; the German is a million miles off

However, Sigurrson looks promising, Moran is learning on the job with us and looks a prospect for Brighton; jury out on Hill who looked decent against Cardiff.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Terrible window.

We needlessly spunked most of our budget on a reserve goalie; Ennis is a crock; Tronstad looks way off so far; the German is a million miles off

However, Sigurrson looks promising, Moran is learning on the job with us and looks a prospect for Brighton; jury out on Hill who looked decent against Cardiff.

And the 3 who look favourable are all loans.

It is said we are now just a development club prioritising avoiding relegation, Brighton certainly like that.

Ennis arrived unfit and looking overweight. So far he's played just 71 minutes in the league and has missed the past 6 games over a period that included an international break.

Yes he had 38 league 2 appearances last season but half of those were as an oncoming sub.

Unlike other of our recent striker signings under JDT/GB he does run and move like a player so that's something to cling on to. FFS.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

On 11/09/2023 at 19:16, Crimpshrine said:

How come JDT doesn't know this ?

He probably does and will drop it into his next comment about the bus.

”Had we got in who we wanted and not got rid of some, we would need a double decker”.

On 02/10/2023 at 16:41, AllRoverAsia said:

And the 3 who look favourable are all loans.

Sigurdsson isn't technically a loan - just a one year deal. I don't think he could have signed any longer due to his contract in Russia being 'on pause' but that is due to expire next summer anyway.

You'd think most clubs would have found a way to make the deal become permanent - but we all know what will happen here. He will be a massive success and we'll lose him for nothing to a Premier League club at the end of the season. 

• Like 3

On 02/10/2023 at 15:59, Wheelton Blue said:

We needlessly spunked most of our budget on a reserve goalie;

No offence, but I'm sick of seeing this argument from people. For one thing, we'd currently be trotting out one of the kid goalies, who sound way off the required level, if we hadn't signed Wahlstedt. But moreover, we didn't 'spunk most of our budget on a reserve goalie', we traded to create any budget at all. 2.5 million in, 700k out. Selling Kaminski with no replacement would have been sheer idiocy. Even if Wahlstedt doesn't prove better than Pears (we should see that more clearly over the next couple of games, managers are forever giving players time to settle in, doesn't mean they're seen as second choice long term), it's madness to go through a season with one senior keeper unless you have a prodigy in the youth team.

No, we didn't really spend the difference between the fees either, but you can be pretty sure without that money we wouldn't have brought in Moran or Hill either. And the way Buckley went out on loan...who knows who else we would have had to sell or loan to keep our heads above water.

The criminals in this window are Venkys, it's plain and simple for me.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No offence, but I'm sick of seeing this argument from people. For one thing, we'd currently be trotting out one of the kid goalies, who sound way off the required level, if we hadn't signed Wahlstedt. But moreover, we didn't 'spunk most of our budget on a reserve goalie', we traded to create any budget at all. 2.5 million in, 700k out. Selling Kaminski with no replacement would have been sheer idiocy. Even if Wahlstedt doesn't prove better than Pears (we should see that more clearly over the next couple of games, managers are forever giving players time to settle in, doesn't mean they're seen as second choice long term), it's madness to go through a season with one senior keeper unless you have a prodigy in the youth team.

No, we didn't really spend the difference between the fees either, but you can be pretty sure without that money we wouldn't have brought in Moran or Hill either. And the way Buckley went out on loan...who knows who else we would have had to sell or loan to keep our heads above water.

The criminals in this window are Venkys, it's plain and simple for me.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have signed a goalkeeper to replace Kaminski. Absolutely we needed to.

Let's not forget, though, that Kaminski was Tomasson's second choice behind Pears.

I question whether we need to spend the majority of our budget on a reserve; we could have got one far cheaper.

59 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have signed a goalkeeper to replace Kaminski. Absolutely we needed to.

Let's not forget, though, that Kaminski was Tomasson's second choice behind Pears.

I question whether we need to spend the majority of our budget on a reserve; we could have got one far cheaper.

Probably a worse one. We needed a better keeper than Pears anyway, and that's what I'm hoping he is. I suspect he's seen as true competition rather than a reserve, but Pears as the incumbent was always gonna get first crack at it. JDT doesn't tend to drop keepers without injury enforcing it.

If he turns out to be worse than Pears in the fullness of time, I'll agree it was wasted money. Pears isn't very good, so 700k should definitely buy an upgrade.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andy said:

Hard to argue that our summer business wasn't positive based on today's performance - and the players who contributed most.

Fair’s fair. Based on today they all looked pretty good who got on.  I’m trying to be positive today and not worry too much how bad QPR were in all this. Siggy could be a Berkovic / Bellamy-like one season wonder.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

Yeah, that was my exact thoughts just after his 2nd goal today - hopefully it's not a fleeting spell with us.

Pleased for Leo to keep a clean sheet and I thought both Hill and Trondstad were both excellent today.

• Like 3

I think its incredibly premature to base the verdict on today when we are 17th and off the back of 4 losses.

Ultimately the biggest issue with the window was more what we couldnt do which is solely on the owners and the aggressive budget cuts. We werent allowed to bring in experience, more numbers especially another wide man or a goalscorer.

Individually there are certainly clear bright spots but they are definitely in the main very fleeting mainly as they are only just breaking into the team.

Sigurdsson is the main one just because he looks to have that intelligence to break into goalscoring positions and he has already scored 4 goals, its not a common knack so I am really excited to see him more. Moran looks a talent although the main issue is how to fit him into the team I would say but I like the look of him. Tronstad has started to settle in the last couple of games and Hill isnt a natural right back nor the experienced head we needed but he definitely has something about him. All 4 definitely have shown glimpses of being able to really add to our squad, not convinced by any means that all 4 will play week in week out (Sigurdsson perhaps excluded) but on such a tight budget we may have got 4 good additions there. Wahlstedt has conceded 1 in 2 League starts but has been rarely tested (as a result of being slightly less gung ho) and his continental approach to punch everything concerns me but I would certainly want him to stay in goal when Pears returns. 

The main issues are the questions around the striker we desperately needed but simply have not had the backing to make a serious go at finding. Ennis I have liked the look of but he cant stay fit, he didnt impress today but he isnt fit. And Telalovic is nowhere near it and wont make the squad shortly I suspect.

It might turn into a very effective window considering the restrictions whilst still being underwhelming and not properly giving us what we need. Theres no way we could have got what we needed in full from the window with the cuts and the movement of the goalposts so that isnt on Broughton.