BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Window - Rating /10

So what rating would people give the summer window out of 10, of course allowing for the limited exposure to the 4 foreign signings? 

I think in net, that makes sense in regards to the model, albeit Pears shouldnt be first choice. Player sold, player with decent credentials brought in.

Defensively, I think we are short. We only have 3 full backs so not only are we light, but we reduce/remove any scope to move Rankin Costello. At centre back, we needed experience, we signed a highly rated loanee, hopefully he will do well but he isnt what we need. So not good there.

In midfield, Tronstad gives us experience albeit a slow start. Buckley leaving means we have 3 main options and Garrett pushing. We have gone from being strong there to looking thin again, needlessly.

In attacking midfield, Sigurdsson and Moran are exciting additions. We have lost our top scorer from this area though, a blow people underestimate. We also lack a quick winger and behind them 2, Szmodics and Hedges, minimal quality.

Up top, we have made a couple of gambles, needs must. The lad today is hopefully an uncut gem although will need to adapt having been playing in the German 4th league. Ennis I like the look of but no use sat on a physio bed.

I think the calls were for experience, Tomasson kept mentioning it, and Broughton kept mentioning it, he said we have to maintain the average age and that we cant bring in 21 year olds to replace the likes of Ayala and Dack. Well, we did, so thats a failing that is out of Broughton's control

3 or 4 out of 10 for me.

• Like 3

In the context of being completely and utterly shafted by the owners midway through the window, I'll give the recruitment team a 7. They haven't brought in the types of player they said they were after, but they have been creative with what they have, and there are hopefully some potential diamonds in the rough waiting to be polished.

In the grand scheme of things, it would be interesting to see what could have been achieved even with only the wage budget from last season, and the financial security to be able to charge that bit more for outgoing players. On that basis, having completely failed to build on the successes of last season, I'll give the window a 2.

• Like 1

Impossible to rate given how unknown the players are to us all.

I do understand people having a negative view on it, but there's also the chance we've unearthed a few gems.

Hopefully GB gives an extended interview/inquest on the obstacles faced, not sure how much detail he'll be allowed to give on the whole India financial/tax/hearing or whatever the hell it is.

Bet he's relieved its over though!

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

6 out of 10 for me. 
Could be better, could be worse. 
I think the Buckley departure could be a mistake, especially if we get some injuries in the middle of the park. I think we are a little bit short overall and we do need some very good luck with injuries this year.

• Like 1

• Backroom

At this point 5-6

In the nets it’s an unknown quantity but seems a reasonable trade off, the issue is the assumption was we cashed in on TK to reinvest the money elsewhere which did materialise.

Defence we are weaker in terms of depth and future potential but Hill may be decent for a year.

Tronstad looks to be a squad player, solid and steady perhaps 

Moran and Sigurdson seem like sensible additions and the ones that could be difference makers and I am confident Ennis can chip in with a few goals, the lad from yesterday is an unknown and will be a bonus if he contributes.

The first question is if they can replace the  contribution from Dack and Diaz.

The second is more important - can they improve on it as standing still isn’t progress!

Ultimately it feels like a missed opportunity, £5-6m brought in for TK and Ash Phillips and only £1m or so spent 

• Like 3

I think people somewhat understate comparisons between this and last seasons squad.

Firstly, we shouldnt really compare to last season in that like the season before, we fell off a cliff as the end approached. Lack of experience and also using the least players in the league caught up with us.

But take Hill, I've seen people compare to Phillips. He has replaced Phillips AND Ayala who played 20 odd games. So we are one player down there and also a hell of a lot of experience lost, replaced with exactly the profile age wise that Broughton said he didnt want to do. Similar with Tronstad. Yes he may be an upgrade on Morton but he is now replacing Morton and Buckley in a shrinking squad. Moran is essentially replacing Dack, again experience replaced by a kid, hopefully he can contribute more although Dack did score a few important goals.

Two of the most eye catching additions are Sigurdsson and Wahlstedt but they are obviously replacing our 2 biggest losses. Brereton is not a loss in some peoples eyes but he scored double the goals of anyone else, Sigurdsson will do well to get close. Kaminski was an excellent Championship keeper, the pair have gone on to bigger and better things so again, big shoes to fill.

The one area we look deeper is up front with Ennis and Telalovic added and only Vale lost. But there is a lot of expectation in them and one is forever injured and has never played at this level and the other was playing 4th tier football in Germany so its a huge ask.

• Like 7

I think has been a good one overall with us bringing in 7 players which 5 signings were our first choices signing in Ennis, Tronstad, Sigurdsson, Wahlstedt and Moran. We might have a different striker but more importantly we signed another striker and got in defender. We didn't sign the left back I wanted but overall we have got players in the door at Ewood. With JDT in charge I think we can make the playoffs this season. 

How utterly pathetic that Buckley is sent out on loan against the wishes of the Head Coach. The finances must be dire if saving a few month's wages becomes the overriding consideration. Venkys project now is more clearly than it ever has been, to simply reduce costs and hope for a windfall profit on developing the young players. Why the hell don't they just f**k off!

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, alcd said:

How utterly pathetic that Buckley is sent out on loan against the wishes of the Head Coach. The finances must be dire if saving a few month's wages becomes the overriding consideration. Venkys project now is more clearly than it ever has been, to simply reduce costs and hope for a windfall profit on developing the young players. Why the hell don't they just f**k off!

It’s worse than that - Buckley sent out on loan because we had to lose someone to get someone else in, we confirmed the Buckley deal and NOT the other player. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, J*B said:

It’s worse than that - Buckley sent out on loan because we had to lose someone to get someone else in, we confirmed the Buckley deal and NOT the other player. 

Has this been confirmed now? Absolutely shocking if true that it was against JDTs wishes and in order to bring another in which failed. 
Does feel hard to believe given Buckley was last minute - but wouldn’t put it past our useless lot 

• Like 1