BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

1 minute ago, Devon Rover said:

I think it is clear that isn't the suggestion. An option would be changing the team's formation and/or style to better suit the players you have available, rather than dogmatically sticking to a style that doesn't suit what you have at your disposal. Letting go of your experienced players reduces your ability to do that.

It is a perfectly reasonable challenge that should be made, with no manager/coach being above that challenge or constructive question. Sometimes all of us have to accept we are wrong and change our approach, in life. That is ok. And much better than stubbornly continuing with something that isn't working.

Or you bring in a player that suits our style and why would change style when it's suits Szmodics, Wharton and Tronstad how we play

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

He has input into the squad. He has say in transfers saying who we sign. He has to yes before we sign a player. He can suggest his own targets aswell. 

If Travis isn't going to play much for the season cos JDT doesn't want to select him(recent none appearances in the last 3 games) and Travis to play then we should let him leave and bring in a player who will be select more. 

Last season you were saying how great it was that Travis worked hard to get back into the team (after being dropped).

Why is this no longer an option?

• Like 1

Or you bring in a player that suits our style and why would change style when it's suits Szmodics, Wharton and Tronstad how we play

I look forward to that, Chaddy. But I won't hold my breath. Let's just add replacing the Travis CM option to the list including improved full backs, goalkeeper, and an actual striker, shall we? This is quite clearly systematic downgrading and cheapening of our playing squad. It only ends badly. I kind of envy your relentless optimism, but not really.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Last season you were saying how great it was that Travis worked hard to get back into the team (after being dropped).

Why is this no longer an option?

Tronstad and Wharton are our first choice now. Tronstad is a much better all round player. We have upgraded here from Travis and Tronstad 

• Like 1

If he's 3rd or 4th choice and the club needs to free up funds to sign players who will make the starting line-up then it makes sense. 

If it's been done purely as a cost-cutting measure with no incomings to compensate then it's a ridiculous move. 

JDT's press conf will tell us more

• Like 5

Tronstad and Wharton are our first choice now. Tronstad is a much better all round player. We have upgraded here from Travis and Tronstad 

Upgrading from Travis to Tronstad is of little use if you then downgrade from Travis to *insert league one youngster/academy player here*

• Like 1

Just now, wilsdenrover said:

Upgrading from Travis to Tronstad is of little use if you then downgrade from Travis to *insert league one youngster/academy player here*

Exactly.

It's a constant one step forwards two steps backwards.

17 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I think this is very much player driven. I’d guess he’s not happy at not starting and has always been very vocal about his unhappiness at JDT during his spells out of the side.

The qualities he brings when he does play will definitely be missed, and ideally I’d keep him around. We need players who can battle and tackle, not to mention his leadership. But if his head and heart isn’t in it, you’ve lost the best of Travis.

Loan is far from ideal, they are increasingly the way that championship deals are done though. Not a lot of money for fees anywhere outside the top flight.

Keeping fringe players happy is a key part of a manager’s/head coach’s job.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He has input into the squad. He has say in transfers saying who we sign. He has to yes before we sign a player. He can suggest his own targets aswell. 

If Travis isn't going to play much for the season cos JDT doesn't want to select him(recent none appearances in the last 3 games) and Travis to play then we should let him leave and bring in a player who will be select more. 

Exactly.

The rest of what you've said has little to do with the earlier point made.

I have no problem with letting Travis go, if we will 'bring in a player who will be selected more.'

What I would have a problem with is not replacing him at all, the club stating he's being replaced internally (i.e. via an academy graduate) or him being replaced by someone who doesn't have the same amount of time or appearances at first team level.

I know it's not JDT single handedly who picks the players, but as you rightly say, he has an input. If it's forced on him that Trav is replaced with an inferior player, I'm sure we'll know....which in its own right, is an explanation isn't it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Keeping fringe players happy is a key part of a manager’s/head coach’s job.

Meaningless. 

Trav might have asked for a move. Rovers might want him out to facilitate an incoming. JDT might have been told that Trav was moving on and he had no say in it. 

Edited by Sweaty Gussets

This is very similar to the Sorba Thomas situation last season.

Wasn’t playing for Huddersfield and wanted more game time, so was loaned to a promotion hopeful.

Although Travis isn’t a flashy player, he works hard, loves a tackle and will play anywhere. I’m disappointed to see him leave as we need different styles of players in midfield for different games. we’re not always going to dominate the ball and we need a ball winner/workhorse to help out. 

JDT doesn’t think he’s good enough to play our style of football, but the Ipswich manager currently playing better football and sat in 2nd place thinks he is.

Rovers and JDT will be banking on Ipswich getting promoted and Trav having a stormer with them. It will increase his value and Ipswich fans will put pressure on the board to sign him.

If it doesn’t go well, he’ll return to Ewood and be sold in the summer.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Still there are those who cannot see, who persist with a fantasy that Buckley and now Travis were shipped out to get 'minutes' or because they don't 'fit' what we need. The simple reality is that we need their wages off our hands and we will do the necessary to get that.

It's 100% this.

I knew reading this that some would be justifying it as they don't fit the "style of play" or whatever. 

We're in a huge mess, and it's a good job we have that 10 point cushion above that bottom 3 or we would be in huge trouble this season.

I would put us as dead certs for relegation next season.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

Just now, J*B said:

Trav wants the move because he’s fallen out with the manager over both game time and position. JDT prefers Garrett and Buckley in CM. 

That's the manager's prerogative.

It's a shame Trav, as club captain, has demanded a move because he hasn't been good enough to get in the 1st XI. 

And by remarkable coincidence it just so happens that unlike Buckley (injured) and Garrett (unproven) Travis will have no shortage of takers especially on loan conveniently getting one of the bigger wage earners of the books and probably paving the way for a healthy transfer fee.

Funny how it's always the most expensive / valuable ones who end up by the exit door isn't it?

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

Style of play is irrelevant. We first and foremost need bodies in the squad. Loaning out one of our most experienced players (a dire situstion to be in in the first place  that a 26 year old Travis is one of the old heads of the squad) is not a good move. Our bench has looked like a nursery for the last month. 

We used to be incompetently treading water under the venkys. Now they're strangling the club to death. Take administration I say, we're effectively in admin anyway with an Indian judge saying what we can and can't spend money on. 

• Like 1

I'm not surprised Travis has gone but I'm surprised it's only a loan. For the life in me I can't see any logic to that. Personally I'm not too perturbed by him going primarily because he wasn't contributing and if the stories are to be believed he was becoming belligerent and difficult to manage. The main issue though is that he needs replacing in the squad and that is where the waters get totally muddied.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

If he's 3rd or 4th choice and the club needs to free up funds to sign players who will make the starting line-up then it makes sense. 

If it's been done purely as a cost-cutting measure with no incomings to compensate then it's a ridiculous move. 

JDT's press conf will tell us more

I doubt it tbh

Fallen out or not, if we want him out we should be demanding a sale, not a loan. Isn't that the whole point of the current model? A loan has zero benefit to Rovers at all.

Joke owners, joke management, joke club.

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Both Tronstad and Wharton will need to miss games to rest, through suspension or through injury.

Buckley is out long term (was loaned for the season anyway) leaving just Garrett now as back up.

JRC is injured, injury prone and probably going to be at RB as well.

4 minutes ago, Polky said:

JDT doesn’t think he’s good enough to play our style of football, but the Ipswich manager currently playing better football and sat in 2nd place thinks he is.

Not sure you've watched Ipswich recently but they play a different style to us and the demands on their midfield are different. They are a bit more traditional in their approach, with the likes of Morsy in midfield and a traditional winger.

Whether they play 'better football' is moot, I would say Travis just suits their style more.