BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

40 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I see Brighton paid somewhere from £3.5 million to £5 million for him (reports vary, I presume the 5 mill is one of those potential add ons things) last January. Must have been fairly well rated at the time. Hopefully he comes good for us, we'll just have to see. Doesn't fit the profile of what I'd have wanted though, experience and other areas should be prioritised.

I think It's a we get what we are given situation.  A) we have the egg doing dealings and b) who the f would want to come to us at the moment. What striker or GK or defender would drop down from the PL to come to rovers and our tight budget, poor management and inability to organise deadline day paperwork. Guess we should be grateful this youth from Brighton has agreed to join. 

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Why what young full back do we have that is ready this season to challenge Pickering?

Every single championship side signs young players on loan from Premier league clubs.

Ye but what's the point in our multi million pound academy which is apparently the dogs bollox?  Surely it's producing 19 year old left backs.....🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Tango said:

Never fear, a left-back from Villa should solve all our problems... 

No signing is going to solve all our problems, they can only solve one at a time. No left backs behind Pickering was one of our problems.

That said, it was far from one of our biggest. If we were planning to still do a lot of business this window, these two deals would be decent enough for filling out our thin squad. But we can't receive funds for transfer deals from Venkys, and the LT 'understands' we are only looking to bring in three players this month. Presumably it was already known Travis would be off, and Hill's deal would be ended, so I assume we only have one more to go, which would likely be O'Riordan if we get that over the line.

That would be a disastrous window. Our priority needs are blatantly striker and GK, not to mention experience and a lack of numbers. To improve our net numbers by just one, sign a 19 yr old and two 20 yr olds, and not sign a striker or GK could only be considered an abject failure.

The only hope, apart from the LT just being plain wrong, is that it was three new faces prior to any departures, in which case there would still be two after O'Riordan. Leaving space in the plan for an experienced GK and hopefully striker. But even then, given our likely budget, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Full game once (Watford), 3 other shorter appearances totalling another 71 minutes.  Played 241 minutes in November too. I don't think Neil was being literal about him not playing since October though.

Exactly. Cheers.

I actually was surprised by reading this in the LT article-

Travis has completed 90 minutes once since the start of November and that was out of position at full-back. The 26-year-old hasn't started a Championship match in central midfield since October 1 against Leicester City.

Wonder if the view is a drop to a back 5 with Pickering left of, this presumably fast overlapping left wing back doubling up with sigurdson and brittain doing the same on the side with whoever else comes in? 

This is my glass is 3/4s full interpretation 

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ye but what's the point in our multi million pound academy which is apparently the dogs bollox?  Surely it's producing 19 year old left backs.....🤷‍♂️

No Im afraid we havent. Seems Jake Batty not good enough. Think this Villa fullback and england international is way better to compete with Pickering. Seems we have adressed one weakened point. Soon will we see Markandy leave for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neophox said:

Suddenly we haved added already 3 players for the coming games in Vale, Chrisene and Ayari.

I'll be gutted if Vale plays any games for us. That would mean he can't join another club until the summer, and he simply isn't good enough to play here at this point in time (probably ever tbh).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No signing is going to solve all our problems, they can only solve one at a time. No left backs behind Pickering was one of our problems.

That said, it was far from one of our biggest. If we were planning to still do a lot of business this window, these two deals would be decent enough for filling out our thin squad. But we can't receive funds for transfer deals from Venkys, and the LT 'understands' we are only looking to bring in three players this month. Presumably it was already known Travis would be off, and Hill's deal would be ended, so I assume we only have one more to go, which would likely be O'Riordan if we get that over the line.

That would be a disastrous window. Our priority needs are blatantly striker and GK, not to mention experience and a lack of numbers. To improve our net numbers by just one, sign a 19 yr old and two 20 yr olds, and not sign a striker or GK could only be considered an abject failure.

The only hope, apart from the LT just being plain wrong, is that it was three new faces prior to any departures, in which case there would still be two after O'Riordan. Leaving space in the plan for an experienced GK and hopefully striker. But even then, given our likely budget, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

"It's not official yet but he is going away," Tomasson said. "Trav came to the club in the summer and said that he wanted to go away.

"He didn't succeed in the summer and then he came back in October and said he wanted to go away. The reason are that he wanted to play every week in position six, defensive midfield.

"Tronstad has done really, really well. I have absolutely no problem with Trav, he is a great lad. This is football.

"When a player wants to go away like that, that's the dynamic of football. He now has the opportunity to play at another club for a couple of months. Hopefully, he does really, really well."

Not sure if everyone has seen the full quotes?

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Rovers have the feel of a club getting relegated to me. 

Agree. This season has a strong whiff of 2015/16 about it - probably a lower midtable finish, but clear the direction you're going in after finishing just outside the play offs/comfortable top half the previous two seasons (13/14 and 14/15, then 21/22 and last season now). Cost cutting clear for all to see too.

All it'll take is the squad to continue to get weaker and a total dolloper who'll work under any conditions to replace JDT then we'll be on for a repeat of 16/17 next season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

Very hard to get excited by these players, especially when they’re loans. I  presume the third is O’Riordan and then we’re done.

I think the latter will become a shrewd signing but it’s still all depressing.

I think it will be more than 3.That was said prior to Travis moving on 

7 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Exactly. Cheers.

I actually was surprised by reading this in the LT article-

Travis has completed 90 minutes once since the start of November and that was out of position at full-back. The 26-year-old hasn't started a Championship match in central midfield since October 1 against Leicester City.

The LT are actually wrong there, as according to transfermarkt, he played 90 minutes against Preston, and 90 minutes against Watford. Both at fullback though.

• Like 1