BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

This Juke fella has never really hit the heights. I don’t think he’s the answer 

The only thing he’d give us is a bit of an aerial threat, but considering we are averse to putting a cross in what’s the point? 

The one thing he might do is show the young strikers it’s possible to be as tough tackling and mean as the centre halves they face. He is good at that at least 

Moran, McKenzie, Hughes, Cowans etc.. were players who had played at the peak level of English football. They may have not been quite what they were when they arrived at Ewood, but as their ability levels had been so high they were still good enough for the second tier.

That's different than signing very old players who generally have been second tier journeymen for most of their career. They are now are not quite what they were, so they are probably league one standard. 

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The Brum fans seem to think very highly of him. I think this could be a good signing as a stop gap solution to stir things up a bit for the rest of the season but as a long term option to bolster our striking resources it's more can kicking down the road unfortunately.

I am quite surprised that you are potentially for this deal, considering your opinion on Danny Graham at a time when he was still effective enough to win player of the season here.

Jutkeweicz is better in the air than Gallagher, but the latter is quick and powerful, the former is totally immobile now. Gallagher has got 8, 9 and 8 in recent seasons, compared to 8, 2 and 5. 

Birmingham fans will be nostalgic about a player that a number of years ago was a good player for them. He is not that player now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roversinmyblood said:

I sadly missed that game, much to my regret. If my memory serves me well, the original game (which I had a ticket for) was called off and that was the rearranged game which I couldn’t attend. I missed an amazing game apparently. Jim was a cart horse, but was an absolute beast in the air so strong and solid that nobody could knock him off the ball. When he took a run up at corners players got knocked  out of the way like 9 pins. Why do modern players not take long run ups at corners? You get so much better height to your jump and it’s more difficult to be marked. 

I think it was called off twice. Both Eamon Rogers and Billy Wilson were available for the original date but were suspended for the actual game. Both badly missed on the night.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Moran, McKenzie, Hughes, Cowans etc.. were players who had played at the peak level of English football. They may have not been quite what they were when they arrived at Ewood, but as their ability levels had been so high they were still good enough for the second tier.

That's different than signing very old players who generally have been second tier journeymen for most of their career. They are now are not quite what they were, so they are probably league one standard. 

Indeed. I was more just reminiscing.

The club of Cowans and Hughes was one were aging, but still top class players were brought in to help get an ambitious club over the line.

This shell of a club is operating in a different universe.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

• Backroom

Would be a poor signing that doesn't address our primary issue of leaking goals to the point where we're the worst in the division for it. Unless we're planning to do something radical and play him at centre-back. Or maybe in goal, would probably be better than Leo at this point. 

I'll be disappointed if we bring in Jutkiewicz.

How much does it cost to buy 34 year-old Juke with 6 months on his contract? Not a lot, but 300k maybe? Brum are also paying him about 15k a week, apparently.

There are much better options out there for that sort of money... like Jonson Clarke-Harris.

Posh accepted a 500k bid from Charlton for him. He's strong, good in the air, only 29, scores more, and would cost half the wages.

Plus, he's a former team-mate of our top boy, and the league's top-scorer Sammie Szmodics... Imagine him holding the ball up with Szmods just behind – it just makes sense. We need to hijack that deal!

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

I'll be disappointed if we bring in Jutkiewicz.

How much does it cost to buy 34 year-old Juke with 6 months on his contract? Not a lot, but 300k maybe? Brum are also paying him about 15k a week, apparently.

There are much better options out there for that sort of money... like Jonson Clarke-Harris.

Posh accepted a 500k bid from Charlton for him. He's strong, good in the air, only 29, scores more, and would cost half the wages.

Plus, he's a former team-mate of our top boy, and the league's top-scorer Sammie Szmodics... Imagine him holding the ball up with Szmods just behind – it just makes sense. We need to hijack that deal!

When he was last in the Championship he scored 12 goals and I think played in all or most games. So not great at this level, but a lot better than what we seem to be aiming for.

And to think we signed Wahlsted with that kind of money.

3 minutes ago, booth said:

When he was last in the Championship he scored 12 goals and I think played in all or most games. So not great at this level, but a lot better than what we seem to be aiming for.

And to think we signed Wahlsted with that kind of money.

12 goals in a poor side (that got relegated) isn't too bad!

That's more than Gally has ever had in a Championship season aint it?

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, booth said:

Szmodics only got 7 goals that season in the same side.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

JDTs had a “shift in tone” according to Elliott. Wont talk about transfers or anything off field.

Who can guess what mad shit we’ve done now?

He's been told by Waggot and Broughton "Stop complaining else we will sell Pears".

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, J*B said:

JDTs had a “shift in tone” according to Elliott. Wont talk about transfers or anything off field.

Who can guess what mad shit we’ve done now?

The poor bloke is probably sick of repeating himself regarding transfers, either that or he's had a telling off for all of the (well-deserved) digs he makes?

Edited by TheRevAshton

19 minutes ago, Hasta said:

He's been told by Waggot and Broughton "Stop complaining else we will sell Pears".

Another example of what just 12 months has done to us. This time last year that would have been like saying to a kid "stop eating chocolate cake or we'll shred your homework" 

1 hour ago, TheRevAshton said:

12 goals in a poor side (that got relegated) isn't too bad!

That's more than Gally has ever had in a Championship season aint it?

That's why I said "not great".

I think Gallagher scored that many on loan but his max since then iirc is 8. And I can't be bothered looking it up.

54 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Szmodics only got 7 goals that season in the same side.

Still doesn't make his Championship tally great. Right now I'd like him here, I just wish we were aiming higher. Fucking ridiculous we're aiming a lot lower.

50 minutes ago, neophox said:

Maybe good so JDT can focus on the game instead.... the questions should go to Waggot and Broughton

And if he goes we can focus our anger on the real villains.

• Like 1

I don't expect we'll see any ins or outs until after this court case - spend money and there'll be an argument of why do you need to send this much if you have money for transfers. Sell players and bring money in = why do you need to send this much when you've just recouped £x.

• Like 3