BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

A normal club, would probably think £20m + sell on % allows us to reinvest £15m into a Championship squad and still have some left over for the finance lads as well as the sell-on fall back. Not bad for an academy lad (thanks Jack)

We, obviously, will throw JDT a few pieces of shrapnel, and the rest will go into the usual Venky's black hole.

Our issue with reinvesting all that money is what it does to the wage bill, having said that, we seem to be cutting that constantly yet our losses don't improve so god knows.

• Like 2

As said by a few on here, the money if reinvested would be crucial, however you do feel as though recent monies from sales has gone to the greater overall debt/FFP stuff. 

£20m plus add ons will do for me.

Lets not forget that potential is so often unmet with younger players, injuries, off field distractions etc are all very real.

The club survived and thrived in the late 00s by selling at the right time, Santa Cruz, Bentley, Warnock etc 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

If they come in 20m and 30% sell on or something I think we have to accept it.

why make us weaker ?

do you think the punatics will replace him equally or better? 

Damien Duff is our club record according to TransferMarket about 24.5M euros. If we can get a club record fee I think we have to sell but you just don't have any confidence whatsoever of it being used to reinvest in the squad. 

A normal Championship ran club and its get them to round up to £20m with some nice add ons. This is the job of the academy and I don't have too much of an issue with it.

This is (Venkys) Blackburn Rovers and we could realistically only see 10% of that money back for players, tops. The trading model is doomed to failure with only investing small percentages back into the squad.

2 minutes ago, ABRAM ROVER said:

Damien Duff is our club record according to TransferMarket about 24.5M euros. If we can get a club record fee I think we have to sell but you just don't have any confidence whatsoever of it being used to reinvest in the squad. 

Pretty sure Duff was £17m so the £18.5m allegedly offered would top that.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I think a problem we have is:

• We sell Adam Wharton it'll increase anyones sale price to us by a fair few %.
  • We buy players pre sale or negotiate loan to buys our fees will be lower.
  • The money won't be reinvested.

If (big If), Venky's actually wanted to sell us, I'd be amazed if they didn't cash in on £20m for Wharton first. 

Having him as a Rover is unlikely to increase bids by the same amount.

Didn't Venky's buy us for about £25m then sell Jones for £16m within the year (maybe this just highlights what mugs the Walker Trust were)

16 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

https://the72.co.uk/2024/01/25/blackburn-rovers-still-keen-on-orlando-city-ace-despite-having-two-bids-rejected/

Not sure if this is just a follow on from previous reports but looks like we're still keen on getting McGuire in - Stoke are also keen so we may loose out on this one.

A goal every 107 minutes in the latest MLS season which is one of the best in the league. But he did play significantly less than the other top scorers for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Hopefully we get news that the India court money has been approved as that at least gives some slim hope of reinvestment. 

If its been denied then its nothing other than a way to keep us out of admin and I imagine our negotiating position becomes a lot weaker.

Based on the previous 13 years and the fact we are at the whim and mercy of an Indian judge to simply get through the next few months I'm afraid anyone who is expecting a whole raft of signings with the Wharton fee is going to be disappointed. I honestly don't think it's the right move at all for him but the errant ones won't give a toss. He is seen by them as a temporary saviour to the whole mess that is Rovers.

• Like 2

With the Raya money coming in over the summer, I would like to think we won't be as desperate to cash in on Adam Wharton at present.

Then if we are able to do some good business over the summer (Striker, proper winger and keeper) I'd like to think we would be getting into the playoffs, IF we keep Adam Wharton and keep key players fit (we haven't managed that at all this year).

A lot of ifs there, but hopefully there isn't massive pressure to sell Wharton at present, he's only going to improve, is tied down to a long contract and is unusual in that he is a rovers fan, rather than just keen to move on ASAP (like Phillips).

There is an already set reason/excuse now for the entire fee to go into the financial black hole with only wages being freed up.

However in terms of FFP and freeing up some funds on the clubs books for re-investment Rovers have been short of one huge sale for years.  Should have been Dack but he got injured, should have been BBD but that was a monumental cock up and aside from this lad there are no others on the horizon.

But the timing, surprisingly...., is all wrong again both football wise and money wise unless you are Waggot of course.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

https://the72.co.uk/2024/01/25/blackburn-rovers-still-keen-on-orlando-city-ace-despite-having-two-bids-rejected/

Not sure if this is just a follow on from previous reports but looks like we're still keen on getting McGuire in - Stoke are also keen so we may loose out on this one.

image.thumb.jpeg.9abb4f91b4b6751394050221fd75aca3.jpegThe 72 article is just a re-hash from an Athletic article.

The Athletic’s MLS reporter Tom Bogert reported this on the 22 January 2024.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jones_rover said:

and is unusual in that he is a rovers fan

What's also unusual is that its the club that will be pushing him out rather than the player seeking a transfer!

I hope he believes he's not ready yet and he'd prefer to stay another year but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Impressive if we’ve turned down £18.5m. Always find it surprising when people criticise Venky’s for actively trying to sell our best assets when they so often refuse to sell until the asking price is met even if it means players running down their contracts.

Yeah tbh why i dont really buy that they are a malevolent exploitative force. They just dont really act like one.

Though are they incompetent and disengaged - absolutely. And its fair to say incompetence has brought down far more companies and institutions than fraud or malice. So its not much of a comfort.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

What's also unusual is that its the club that will be pushing him out rather than the player seeking a transfer!

I hope he's he's not ready yet and he'd prefer to stay another year but I'm not holding my breath.

If Palace really have pushed the button on £18.5M he is as good as gone by start of next season. There's not a player in the last 30 years whose turned down a move up a division.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

The ‘sell him and let’s reinvest in 3/4 quality signings’ Twitter brigade are going to be very disappointed… but then again it will still be the fans fault when the money disappears as we only have 14k instead of 18k gates.

They just never ever seem to learn do they.

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

If Palace really have pushed the button on £18.5M he is as good as gone by start of next season. There's not a player in the last 30 years whose turned down a move up a division.

That guy at Sheff Weds ?

Although i think they had to pay him 30k a week !

If we got £18m for Wharton, and reinvested 75% of that across the squad we would be a much better side. Any championship club has to accept that Premier league money cant be refused, and use it wisely. 

What leads to the demise of a club is to replace a good player with a couple of cheap unknowns and the rest goes to pay wages and cover losses. One way ticket to relegation, smaller fan base, even less income, even shitter players and so on...

Wonder which one the Venkys and Swag will choose......

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, benhben said:

If we got £18m for Wharton, and reinvested 75% of that across the squad we would be a much better side. Any championship club has to accept that Premier league money cant be refused, and use it wisely. 

What leads to the demise of a club is to replace a good player with a couple of cheap unknowns and the rest goes to pay wages and cover losses. One way ticket to relegation, smaller fan base, even less income, even shitter players and so on...

Wonder which one the Venkys and Swag will choose......

I think they have been choosing it for the past decade tbf.