BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

I don't want him sold this window ,but eventually (summer) the player will want to test himself in the premier league (surely has ambitions of playing for England).Talk of £50 million is pie in the sky stuff.

£25 mil -£30 mil is the absolute max a premier league club will pay for a player that doesn't play in the top division 

So while he is on a 4 year deal that he only signed a few weeks ago, he doesn’t go anywhere. Maybe there are conversations to be had and decisions to be made in the summer, but a move to Palace won’t do a lot for any England ambitions, and it wouldn’t guarantee Premier League status either.

There’s nothing to suggest Adam Wharton isn’t 100% happy at and committed to Rovers. People who are seemingly desperate to see him sold with vague hopes of money being “reinvested” seem to forget what the point of a football club is.

• Like 1

Seems mad that Ipswich want to pay £2M for a player whose been injured so much and close to end of contract . But gives us options.

I guess question is who we bring in. If Gally goes we need two established proven strikers.

Yates and McGuire would maybe do it? Yates obviously solid record at this level and McGuire had about a 1 in 2 in the MLS and recently got capped by US so id be intrigued by that. MLS is a decent standard these days.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

So while he is on a 4 year deal that he only signed a few weeks ago, he doesn’t go anywhere. Maybe there are conversations to be had and decisions to be made in the summer, but a move to Palace won’t do a lot for any England ambitions, and it wouldn’t guarantee Premier League status either.

There’s nothing to suggest Adam Wharton isn’t 100% happy at and committed to Rovers. People who are seemingly desperate to see him sold with vague hopes of money being “reinvested” seem to forget what the point of a football club is.

He probably is committed now but that won't last while we are a championship club.I don't want him sold this window and certainly not for the £18.5 million that is suggested but I do think In the summer Wharton will want to move up a level.

As for Palace not being a good move...he would start there and only has to look at Eze, who signed from QPR, has had an England call up and linked with a £60 million move to Manchester City.

• Like 3

Again, people very keen to accept the Gallagher bid, seemingly not interested in the fact that he is considerably better than our other 3 below par strikers.

I get it, its a decent offer, but only useful if we buy someone. Yates im not sure is really an upgrade, got 14 last season but some were penalties. If we bought him then fair enough, loan until the end of the season, no thanks.

• Like 4

Have spent some time watching bits of the Maguire lad from Orlando and while that league’s defences can look comical, he does appear to have a bit of nous about him. No idea what kinds of bids we’re lodging, but Gallagher fee + bonuses and add-ons would be a good deal, I think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I'd agree that signing a goalkeeper would be a priority if Wahlstedt was still in goal. He was so poor he could have seen us relegated.

I disagree with you on Pears. We've been treated to some fabulous goalkeepers over the years which affects our opinion. Pears is nowhere near that level, but he is lower championship quality. He'll make mistakes but the step up from Wahlstedt to him is enormous. 

Due to the complete lack of a competent backup he's actually one of our most important players, which shows how far the club have fallen.

I just fundamentally disagree about Pears. In form he is a steady Championship keeper, but he's rarely in form for long. He makes lots of mistakes that seem to go unnoticed by most fans, in the form of awful positioning. So you get comments like 'he couldn't have done anything about that' and that's because he wasn't in the right position in the first place so leaves himself with no chance. Almost as iffy on crosses as Leo.

Lower Championship quality (I'd say he's bottom 5 material over a full season) isn't good enough unless we want to stay scraping around at the ass end of the Championship.

I'd make the opposite argument to the one you make about great keepers of the past - that by having only a badly out of form Leo to compete with he's starting to look to many like he's a better keeper than he actually is, as your last paragraph hints at.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, people very keen to accept the Gallagher bid, seemingly not interested in the fact that he is considerably better than our other 3 below par strikers.

I get it, its a decent offer, but only useful if we buy someone. Yates im not sure is really an upgrade, got 14 last season but some were penalties. If we bought him then fair enough, loan until the end of the season, no thanks.

Gallagher out of contract in the summer even if we take up the option no guarantee there will be a buyer in the summer so even if a loan I'd take Yates as he is as good if not better than Gallagher.

I wouldn't sell Gallagher to be replaced by an unknown but if we can get Yates then we should take the money 

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Undav who we just missed out on in the summer because of Brightons injuries has scored 12 goals in 16 matches for Stuttgart on loan in the Bundesliga.... 😳😳

It was January though not summer. We really could have done with him at that time, almost a certainty we would have made the playoffs. And then who knows what could happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Why would you pick one player transfer out of the hundreds that happen every year as your benchmark? And why that particular one?

I don’t really give a toss how much other players have gone for, as a club our primary concern should be what benefits us most. I’ve even heard people talking about a “fair price, which is just a ridiculous way to approach things.

First and foremost we shouldn’t want to sell our best player. If someone wants to buy him they must expect to make an offer we can’t refuse. Venky’s literally have more than £25 million set aside with Indian courts so they can send over money to keep paying wages and bills. It is not an amount of money that is going to allow us to progress in the pitch. Losing Wharton would weaken us massively and put us in real danger of relegation, what good would £25 million be then? No amount of money we could spend would allow us to improve on Wharton at the present moment, and while swapping one exceptional player for 4 or 5 good ones might be something that we can reluctantly accept, swapping him for a years wages for his inferior teammates would be inexcusable.

Alex Scott went from mid table championship club to Lower mid table PL club. Similar to this transfer. 

Maddison went from Norwich to Leicester for £20m back in 2018. 

No one wants to sell Wharton but that money if we sold for £25m and we reinvest half of it into 6 quality players who would improve the overall depth and quality of the squad would make us more competitive and better chance of promotion plus keep JDT here next season. 

Wharton won't wait for ages for promotion and he will want to be playing PL football as soon as possible. Ideally that would be with us. 

I do think he will stay here until the summer and either move to Newcastle or Man Utd. Dan Ashworth, Newcastle United DoF has scouted himself a few times so he clearly rated him

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Gallagher out of contract in the summer even if we take up the option no guarantee there will be a buyer in the summer so even if a loan I'd take Yates as he is as good if not better than Gallagher.

I wouldn't sell Gallagher to be replaced by an unknown but if we can get Yates then we should take the money 

Another loan, which would be our last because you can have 5 in any squad.

Gallagher is if we want him to be, here for 18 months. Yates isnt a Premier League kid so presumably would be more expensive than usual loans, the rest of the money would vanish. We then in the summer have Telalovic, Ennis and Leonard as our 3 strikers. QPR didnt win today so we are unlikely to go down, will be nowhere near the top 6 obviously, so it seems counter productive to be too short term focused.

If we sell Gallagher, I would want a permanent replacement and would be very annoyed if we didnt get one. But not surprised.

• Moderation Lead

‘If we get £2 Million for Gallagher, we can spend it on Yates’.

If we get Yates, it’s on loan at best and the Gallagher fee goes into the black hole with the Rhodes and Armstrong money.

(Just a heads up, for anyone that hasn’t paid attention to Venky’s Modus Operandi closely).

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

That would be the price for us to start even entertaining the idea of selling him.

50 million is? I think you're in for a rude awakening when we do sell him...

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why would we want to extend Gallagher's contract for 12 months when he is huge wages, injury prone and not good enough to be our main striker?

Because he appears to be worth 2 million quid in the market.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Reinvest half of the 25m into 6 players. Will. Never. Happen.

Also, half of 25 million is 12.5 million. That’s 2 million per player. If we pay them 10 grand a week for 3 years that’s 1.5 million each. Leaves an average of half a million in transfer fees. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

50 million is? I think you're in for a rude awakening when we do sell him...

I’ve no doubt I’ll be incredibly pissed off when we do sell him. I certainly won’t be wanking myself into oblivion at the prospect of replacing him with a few loans and couple of half million punts from league one and Scandinavia like many seem to be.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Also, half of 25 million is 12.5 million. That’s 2 million per player. If we pay them 10 grand a week for 3 years that’s 1.5 million each. Leaves an average of half a million in transfer fees. 

Minus employer’s national insurance etc etc 

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

Have spent some time watching bits of the Maguire lad from Orlando and while that league’s defences can look comical, he does appear to have a bit of nous about him. No idea what kinds of bids we’re lodging, but Gallagher fee + bonuses and add-ons would be a good deal, I think.

Yeah he looks dreadful but his goal scoring record tells a different story…Strange one.

2 hours ago, rovers11 said:

£2m for Gally then we must take it. Gally out and Phillips and Yates in would be very good business. We're actually on the verge of having a decent window and ending up stronger than at the beginning of the window.

Still, we all know no signing is guaranteed until it's announced on the Rovers website. We know that only too well from last Jan.

We desperately need a winger, like Rak Saki, to get behind defences when teams come and “park the bus”. A good winger with pace who will drag defenders out of their shape and create space for our strikers to score. 

• Like 5