BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

That *was* the January Window

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

There'll be only one way we're going if we keep selling our better players and financially with all due respect apart from SS couldn't see any of the others raising much.

With all due respect I doubt you thought Szmodics would be raising much 12 months ago either. You may not like it but all Championship clubs sell the better players on the books year on year if the Premier Leage come calling, it's the lay of the land in the Championship.

• Like 4

It hurts but £20m is too big to turn down. Secures the club, fulfils the remit of the academy and hopefully gives us something to play with in the window/summer. Like someone else says, I actually think he’ll be more suited to the PL than the Champ. 

Not convinced by the American. Would rather keep Gallagher and given the AW money, get someone proven at this level rather than £2m on a punt.

There will need to have been a huge change in stance from Venky's if we're bringing in Liam Cooper.
Resale value or loans only was the "brief" in the summer.

Edit: I see above that it may be a loan.

If Phillips has chosen Cardiff ahead of us, then that really is a sign of the times - especially given our location advantage.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

People will get behind him as they always do.

Yep, some people hark back to Jimmy Armfield's comment about "The Ewood Jury"  from nearly 50 years ago but I actually think the home support is incredibly tolerant compared to most.

1 minute ago, Spankus Munky said:

With all due respect I doubt you thought Szmodics would be raising much 12 months ago either. You may not like it but all Championship clubs sell the better players on the books year on year if the Premier Leage come calling, it's the lay of the land in the Championship.

Exactly, our main issue in recent years isn’t that we sold our best assets it’s that we let them go for nothing. Wharton is going to be our record sale (?) so if anything it’s a good example of how the model should work - assuming we can reinvest a reasonable chunk into the squad, which I doubt. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Spankus Munky said:

No they don't if they have any aspirations of promotion.

22 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So.....We've flogged off the crown jewels (Phillips and Wharton) for the grand sum of £24m.

What do we do in 12 to 18 months Time?

Sell Carter, Szmodics and JRC.

I don't know why folk are surprised at the sale of Wharton, it's the first part of the "Brentford Model" that so many have been jealous of. He's universally seen as a generational talent; even as a prem club we were selling those types of players to clubs higher up the pecking order than us. Obviously the fact it's only Palace that we're selling to is a bit galling, but we are where we are in the pecking order (regardless of how we got here) & have to be realistic.

I hope he does well, & secures a bigger move & provides further cash into the coffers.

The key now is reinvesting in strengthening the squad overall, like W Ham did after selling Rice. That's the acid test, if that doesn't happen this isn't a good move and purely shows that the sale is a "needs must" situation just to keep the lights on whilst we await the outcome of the Indian legal process.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

They do rev.If premier league clubs come calling 90% of the time they move clubs.

Can you give me some examples of championship clubs turning down £20 million bids from premier league clubs?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ok did Coventry not sell Gyokeres? Boro not sell Spence? Birmingham not sell Bellingham? etc...

Even the clubs that come down lose the top players, but I guess they all have no aspirations of promotion eh

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

They do rev.If premier league clubs come calling 90% of the time they move clubs.

Can you give me some examples of championship clubs turning down £20 million bids from premier league clubs?

Only chance of doing so is being a recently relegated Prem (and therefore moneyed up) team who is geared up for automatic promotion (ie Leicester with Dewsberry-Hall)

Edited by KentExile

Do we get the Raya money this month? That's around £5m isn't it? Of which, 100% should go straight into the transfer pot, with the addition of any cup money. A well run club would have £6m-£7m to spend over these days before we even talk about any Wharton or Gallagher cash.

Over to you Venkys

Just now, superniko said:

Do we get the Raya money this month? That's around £5m isn't it? Of which, 100% should go straight into the transfer pot, with the addition of any cup money. A well run club would have £6m-£7m to spend over these days before we even talk about any Wharton or Gallagher cash.

Over to you Venkys

We get it when the permeant deal goes through, which looks like being the summer

• Like 1

If this is the start £20m+ in, strengthen the squad with 4 or 5 players and one of those turns out to be our next £20m+ sale rinse and repeat - then I am more the happy with the sale - albeit I'm gutted not to see Wharton develop and get a few more games here first. 

However! I'm just not confident that's how it's going to pan out. 

As an aside, some of the venky defenders are saying they support us and give us a Cat1 academy, but since they took over I reckon its turned a profit and paid for itself. With Jones, Wharton, Raya, Phillips etc that's plenty in

6 minutes ago, KentExile said:

It all depends on if and how the money is reinvested.  Brentford showed how this should be done,  Its now a case of seeing if Broughton can (and is allowed to) follow the blueprint 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-brentford/rekordabgaenge/verein/1148

Yes, I'm sure he's bring in another 4 or 5 Hirst's Ennis's or Telalovic's or Wahlstedts and life will be rosy.

Maybe if a chunk of the money was spent bringing in a proper DOF we'd stand a slightly better chance.