BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (h) - 24/02/2024

2 hours ago, GaryC said:

Said it before on here but id move Gilsenan to the bench at least if hes not in JE starting plans yet and give him at least 20-30 mins to show what he can do, Hopefully then he can kick on as hes scoring regularly in under 23s but whether he can do that in first team is another matter but give him a chance as several of our players just dont look good enough at the present moment in time

Yeah - the only pertinent question to ask is "who can we bring off the bench to make something happen in the last 30 mins". If we go 352 Dolan might be on the bench so that's one. But after that there is literally no one else who would give any championship defence a moments pause. Moran, Leonard, Telalovic, Markanday, Ayeri... all will get eaten for breakfast.

In light of that Gilsenan has to be worth a crack just to see if he can beat a man on his own which is ultimately what all the others, no matter what qualities they may have, just can't do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Their away form isn't impressive of late. Their only league away wins this season have been:

2-1 at Hull

2-1 at Bristol City

3-2 at Cardiff

4-0 at Huddersfield

That's it.

Their win at Hull was via an 88th minute winner and at Bristol via a 95th minute winner. At Cardiff they scored twice in the last 8 minutes to turn it around.

Point being their away record isn't particularly good and even when they've won they've tended to be narrow and last gasp affairs.

Draws at QPR, Ipswich, Coventry, Southampton

Losses at Leeds, Millwall, West Brom, Watford, Sunderland, Swansea, Plymouth and Rotherham.

We need a win and I'm not really taking the 'juggernaught rolling into town that poor little Rovers will struggle to compete with' mantra that no doubt many will be offering up.

I agree in principle, but they are on good form and will have had a free week.

We absolutely must score first.

Think the bench needs shaking up more than the first XI tbh.

Whats happened with Harry Leonard? Gilsenan cant be any worse than Markanday(who should be released imo).

Highlights a bunch of not fit for purpose loans (expense? cheap?).Or just incompetent recruitment?

Lets really hope the injuries dont start piling up.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Whats happened with Harry Leonard? Gilsenan cant be any worse than Markanday(who should be released imo).

Highlights a bunch of not fit for purpose loans (expense? cheap?).Or just incompetent recruitment?

Leonard has a back injury of some sort and is out for a while

You cannot release anyone who is under contract without paying them off.  Markanday is under contract until the end of next season (with the option of an extra year)

• Like 1

I think  this will be the mirror image of the fixture under JDT at Carrow Road, with their players running rings around our bamboozled and disoriented mob who resort increasingly to cynical tactics to try to stop them. 

It was one of Leo's better games, and the Dolan / Sammie combo did a great job.

Can't see past a reverse here, unless there is something up JE's sleeve.

The downgrade goes on.

Rovers 1 Canaries 3

F-OFF VENKY-RAO-DESAI Punatics

F-OFF CREEPING-AROUND-IN-SHADOW-MAN-SUHAIL

TRIPLE-F-OFF MR-HRH-THE-MORON-OF-TWAT-SWAGGOTT

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Pickering is back in training. Im guessing he probably wont feature but his return will be a welcome boost.

A steady player who is good on the ball and a considerable upgrade on Hedges who isnt a wing back and Chrisene who isnt really up to standard.

Wing back is probably his best position.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Gilsenan should be in the squad going fwd. Only problem is as soon as he starts doing well they will cash in 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, martonrover said:

I suspect that, from the form guide, an away win will be part of God's acca, but let's hope he is wrong.

Due to work commitments I can't be part of "the family" on Saturday, and I will be checking for the result with very little confidence.

Hoping for a pleasant surprise.

Would definitely take a draw.

Remember when jdt joined and for about a month we either won or lost?

Maybe je will only get draws for the next month?!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Haha.

Start him in mf to replace adam

I think JDT liked him earlier this season. Said he was Champions League class in the wall, but lower championship everywhere else.

Edited by sabino
Spelling
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i had`nt realised rovers had recalled jack vale from his loan😁

I'm sure I saw that Vale had scored 2 in 2 since joining (insert random Scottish team here).

But yes, Gilsenan needs to be given a shot in the side - can't do much more.

• Like 2

Jack Vale done rather well in his very short loan spell at Motherwell. No idea what standard he was usually up against.

However I did watch him in a Scottish Cup tie where Motherwell

got beat 2-1 by Greenock Morton on BBC Scotland. He scored for Motherwell after coming on as a substitute and looked the stand-out player in their team.

JE is correct in wanting to assess all possible options in a threadbare squad.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Pickering is back in training. Im guessing he probably wont feature but his return will be a welcome boost.

A steady player who is good on the ball and a considerable upgrade on Hedges who isnt a wing back and Chrisene who isnt really up to standard.

I'd say Hedges looks better at LWB than Pickering.

40 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

I'd say Hedges looks better at LWB than Pickering.

Dont you have a strong dislike of Pickering though?

Pickering is steadier and much more aware defensively, as you would expect from Hedges being naturally someone who plays further forward. He is better on the ball too. Hedges was excellent v Stoke but at times was caught out defensively v Birmingham and Preston. He would also give us a good option playing off Gallagher as an alternative to especially Dolan in an area where we are weak.

• Like 1