BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (h) - 24/02/2024

Norwich are a team playing well at the moment. In their last 4, they've won 3 and drawn 1, scoring 12 goals. Josh Sargent is in great form, having scored 5 of those 12.

They're looking like serious play-off contenders - currently sitting in 8th place, only 3 points away from 6th.

Can't say i'm looking forward to this one, to be honest! Would snatch your hand off for a draw.

• Like 3

How quickly football can change, I remember beating them at Carrow Road earlier in the season and hearing the abuse their manager got and thinking he would be potted in the morning. They stuck with Wagner and it’s now bearing fruits, with the team just outside the playoffs. 

I would take a draw but think we should still be going for and hoping for the win. It’s the championship so will all know how sudden a good run can be ended. 

2-1 Rovers - Gallagher and Scott Wharton diving header!

• Like 2

I am hopeful that the new setup and Norwich coming at us will give us some opportunities.... Does anyone know if Hedges will be available? Assuming he is the team I would go for would be : 

Pears

Hyam      McFadz    Wharton

Brittain    Tronstad    Buckley    Garrett    Hedges

Gallagher      Szmodics

Think it's about as good a team as we can manage. Only big misses being JRC and Carter. I think with Buckley in there hopefully the pressure will come off Garett to sit deeper and he can get forward which suits him much better I think. 

• Like 2

Norwich have become a bit of a bogey side for us at Ewood…I can’t think of a Rovers’ victory in the fixture since the dying throes of our Prem days??? In 2024 we’ve won 3, drawn 2 and lost 1 at home (admittedly 2 easy cup wins against lower league opposition amongst that)…but it’s still a sign of greater solidity on our own patch. Of all 7 games at Ewood this year, Norwich will be by far the toughest but not insurmountable. I think we’ve got to target a win even though the odds are against one….maybe time for the Tronstad/Buckley axis to flourish. Let’s hope so as there’s little else!!!

Big challenge for Eustace. 

Norwich haven't had a midweek coach tour on Waggott Motors and on Saturday comfortably thrashed the side Rovers laboured against last night.

Let's keep it tight for 95 minutes and hit them with a sucker punch...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I am hopeful that the new setup and Norwich coming at us will give us some opportunities.... Does anyone know if Hedges will be available? Assuming he is the team I would go for would be : 

Pears

Hyam      McFadz    Wharton

Brittain    Tronstad    Buckley    Garrett    Hedges

Gallagher      Szmodics

Think it's about as good a team as we can manage. Only big misses being JRC and Carter. I think with Buckley in there hopefully the pressure will come off Garett to sit deeper and he can get forward which suits him much better I think. 

I think Norwich will be highly attacking so I'd swap out Garrett and put Dolan in place. Dolan was rested from the line up last night but I think he will feature. Garrett will be replaced by bucko. Otherwise I agree with your line up mate

• Like 2

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Norwich City (h) - 24/02/2024, 15:00
  • Herbie6590 pinned this topic
17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pears

Hyam McFadzean Wharton

Briitain Buckley Tronstad Hedges 

Dolan Szmodics 

Gallagher 

After seeing how it went at Birmingham and PNE I think we need the extra man in the midfield.... Id be very hesitant to go back to 343.

• Like 1

Problem is, we only have Tronstad and a half fit Buckley as adequate midfield options.

Its a desperate looking squad. Not one that could afford to let its captain go out on loan.

Big game for Eustace. Could do with getting his first official win ticked off but it wont be easy.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

After seeing how it went at Birmingham and PNE I think we need the extra man in the midfield.... Id be very hesitant to go back to 343.

Don't think that an extra man in midfield is needed tbh. We need Dolan in the team. We need his movement and energy plus this will help Gallagher and Szmodics aswell

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Who have you got in mind Joey. As far as I can see all the other likely candidates for the fifth midfield player are injured or out on loan.

12 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Who have you got in mind Joey. As far as I can see all the other likely candidates for the fifth midfield player are injured or out on loan.

As I posted above Id go for Garrett in a three man midfield with Buckley and Tronstad.

• Like 2

Said it before on here but id move Gilsenan to the bench at least if hes not in JE starting plans yet and give him at least 20-30 mins to show what he can do, Hopefully then he can kick on as hes scoring regularly in under 23s but whether he can do that in first team is another matter but give him a chance as several of our players just dont look good enough at the present moment in time

• Like 3

Think this was a nailed on loss a few weeks ago but a bit more confident now.

It won't be pretty but maybe we'll set out to be the bully boys for once and nobody complained when Hughes or Allardyce first turned up with a desperate need for points however they come.

So lets leave the moaning and booing alone this is a tough ask but stick at it we can get something.

Rovers   1     Norwich   1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A Northern Horde... said:

God knows who wins this..roll the Dice

Not much confidence in a lot of our players tbh.

I suspect that, from the form guide, an away win will be part of God's acca, but let's hope he is wrong.

Due to work commitments I can't be part of "the family" on Saturday, and I will be checking for the result with very little confidence.

Hoping for a pleasant surprise.

Would definitely take a draw.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Think this was a nailed on loss a few weeks ago but a bit more confident now.

It won't be pretty but maybe we'll set out to be the bully boys for once and nobody complained when Hughes or Allardyce first turned up with a desperate need for points however they come.

So lets leave the moaning and booing alone this is a tough ask but stick at it we can get something.

Rovers   1     Norwich   1

I agree. When I played I was on the receiving end of some real beatings eventually  but I never went into any match thinking we couldn’t somehow win the game.

• Like 1

Their away form isn't impressive of late. Their only league away wins this season have been:

2-1 at Hull

2-1 at Bristol City

3-2 at Cardiff

4-0 at Huddersfield

That's it.

Their win at Hull was via an 88th minute winner and at Bristol via a 95th minute winner. At Cardiff they scored twice in the last 8 minutes to turn it around.

Point being their away record isn't particularly good and even when they've won they've tended to be narrow and last gasp affairs.

Draws at QPR, Ipswich, Coventry, Southampton

Losses at Leeds, Millwall, West Brom, Watford, Sunderland, Swansea, Plymouth and Rotherham.

We need a win and I'm not really taking the 'juggernaught rolling into town that poor little Rovers will struggle to compete with' mantra that no doubt many will be offering up.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, GaryC said:

Said it before on here but id move Gilsenan to the bench at least if hes not in JE starting plans yet and give him at least 20-30 mins to show what he can do, Hopefully then he can kick on as hes scoring regularly in under 23s but whether he can do that in first team is another matter but give him a chance as several of our players just dont look good enough at the present moment in time

The problem would be, that Gilseanans favoured position is the same as Szmodic's. So do you drop Szmodic for Gilseanen, or play him out of position 

1 minute ago, rigger said:

The problem would be, that Gilseanans favoured position is the same as Szmodic's. So do you drop Szmodic for Gilseanen, or play him out of position 

It’s not an 11 a side game anymore matey. You can bring half a team on now if you like. He could replace Sammi when he’s running on empty.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It’s not an 11 a side game anymore matey. You can bring half a team on now if you like. He could replace Sammi when he’s running on empty.

The original question matey, was why was Gilseanan not being started in the first team. And by the way, it is still an eleven a side game, unless you get someone sent off.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1