BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Norwich City (h) - 24/02/2024

18 hours ago, Old Codger said:

I think  this will be the mirror image of the fixture under JDT at Carrow Road, with their players running rings around our bamboozled and disoriented mob who resort increasingly to cynical tactics to try to stop them. 

It was one of Leo's better games, and the Dolan / Sammie combo did a great job.

Can't see past a reverse here, unless there is something up JE's sleeve.

The downgrade goes on.

Rovers 1 Canaries 3

F-OFF VENKY-RAO-DESAI Punatics

F-OFF CREEPING-AROUND-IN-SHADOW-MAN-SUHAIL

TRIPLE-F-OFF MR-HRH-THE-MORON-OF-TWAT-SWAGGOTT

One of Leo’s better games? Chris Sutton called him a “Flapper” on the commentary!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DuffsLeftPeg said:

One of Leo’s better games? Chris Sutton called him a “Flapper” on the commentary!

Aye, I stopped short of saying he'd had a good game 😉 

These things are all relative. Given his weight and stature at 24, he's never going to be one of those keepers who goes through his defenders for a short cut to get his hands on the ball. If he can timber up a bit he might make it, but it is hard to see how in this league and at this level.

Shame.

Still expecting a reverse tomorrow, but would be glad to eat humble pie if JE can pull a winning rabbit out of the crap hat.

COYB

• Like 2

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Dont you have a strong dislike of Pickering though?

Pickering is steadier and much more aware defensively, as you would expect from Hedges being naturally someone who plays further forward. He is better on the ball too. Hedges was excellent v Stoke but at times was caught out defensively v Birmingham and Preston. He would also give us a good option playing off Gallagher as an alternative to especially Dolan in an area where we are weak.

Pickering is shite as a full back and would be worse as a wing back. The only position he could play in our system as it is now is left of the 3 but he would be behind Hyam (Crewe lad on the right) and Scott there for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Pickering is shite as a full back and would be worse as a wing back. The only position he could play in our system as it is now is left of the 3 but he would be behind Hyam (Crewe lad on the right) and Scott there for me.

I disagree. He was a constant at wing back when we finished 8th and at full back when we finished 7th. A steady and IMO underappreciated player who reads the game well and is good with the ball. I dont think hes as suited to playing more centrally.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Agreed.

Seen enough of Pickering to know he's not good enough to be a LB in our team if we ever have ambition of a top 6.

1 hour ago, Old Codger said:

Aye, I stopped short of saying he'd had a good game 😉 

These things are all relative. Given his weight and stature at 24, he's never going to be one of those keepers who goes through his defenders for a short cut to get his hands on the ball. If he can timber up a bit he might make it, but it is hard to see how in this league and at this level.

Shame.

Still expecting a reverse tomorrow, but would be glad to eat humble pie if JE can pull a winning rabbit out of the crap hat.

COYB

If I’d a pound for every game we’ve lost were I was pretty sure we’d win I’d be rich. Ditto the other way around. Football is a funny game, anything can happen. Being the favourite means nothing if you go out there with the wrong attitude. Come Rovers, give us something to shout about.

• Like 1

Can't see us getting anything out of this game. Our game plan at the moment is to keep it tight and nick a goal, but Norwich have too much attacking quality for that to work tomorrow. Josh Sargent is one of the best players in the league and will rip us to shreds.

Buckley has to start. Interesting that he is getting rave reviews after his cameo against Cardiff. He was no doubt a standout player but I think that is also largely to do with the lower quality in our squad now that he looks a standout. The fact he can actually trap a ball and pick out a simple pass puts him head and shoulders above the likes of Ayari and Garrett. 

43 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Agreed.

Seen enough of Pickering to know he's not good enough to be a LB in our team if we ever have ambition of a top 6.

Hes been a regular in teams finishing 7th and 8th.

But even if he isnt, he isnt the weakness in our team.

• Like 3

Pickering is a decent enough left back and tbh is the least of our worries. We’re a better team when he’s in it. Sadly he just lacks that bit of pace to get himself out of situations or to be considered a top championship defender but he’s by far the least of our issues

• Like 4

I would imagine tomorrow will pretty much be a clash of contrasting styles with Norwich looking to keep the ball and Rovers happy to let them have it in certain areas. Norwich are one of the real form teams right now and are scoring lots of goals so for me our priority is to stop them scoring. They also have a threat from set pieces which has been a weakness for us. I don't think we will have too many opportunities to score so we have to take any chances that come our way. Beating them comfortably at Carrow Road in November will count for nothing tomorrow as both teams have gone different ways since then.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

. Josh Sargent is one of the best players in the league and will rip us to shreds.

Has an ongoing ankle injury and having training severely curtailed remains to be seen if he starts tomorrow 

I fancy us to get something out of this, it's going to be ugly as hell with 10 behind the ball for most the game but playing against one of the better sides in the league makes sticking to the task of defending deep and compact easier in a way.

Against lesser teams gaps appear and it's more likely that you get drawn out and picked off, look at us under JDT and post Jan under Mowbray. Teams let us have the ball, poor decision making and execution meant we created problems of our own overloading areas of the pitch to get picked off week after week. If we can be disciplined and compact I think we may nick point, fingers crossed for more!

• Like 1

Norwich in good form and a different prospect to the team we outplayed earlier in the season

I'd happily take a draw and another point towards staying in this division

Rovers 1 Norwich 1

Edited by jim mk2

2 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Agreed.

We haven't though and they'll probably be happy if they can flog him for 1 mill plus add on's once Batty has steeped into the first team squad.

That's the model brought to you by Suhail, Waggot and Greg Broughton.

Top 6 doesn't come into it.

• Like 1

When players started coming back from injury, & Eustace came on, we had a reasonable expectation of some wins. Tomorrow’s game unfortunately doesn’t shape up to be one of those. 

I’d take a point tomorrow, and an exciting game. I can’t see a clean sheet either way,

2-2. 

We were well beaten last season at home against Norwich, glorious day, big crowd and a noisy contingent from Norfolk that never stopped signing from the first whistle to the last, great away support.

As for the game tomorrow, I'll not be going for all the reasons well documented, but as always I hope for a win, but in the end its all irrelevant because whilst we have clowns running the club over here and in Pune, this nightmare doesn't get any better.

Rovers 1 Norwich 1

VENKYS OUT - NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

• Like 5

Really don't get the Pickering hate. He's a good player at this level. Better than any left back we've had in a long time. I like also that he can step into midfield too and pick a pass.

Wish he had a bit more pace, but apart from that a very solid player.

That said if we are playing 352 I think I'd stick with Hedges as we want the wingbacks to be going forward and stretching the play. Pickering is going to need some time to bed in back from injury. Good for coming on last 30 mins or so.

• Like 8

Difficult to call tomorrow and head and heart are differing.

Not a big Buckley fan but streets ahead of Garrett and Ayari (a desperately poor Broughton signing) and he should help.

Gilsenan has to at least make the bench - don't think he's had a fair crack but I certainly think there's something about him and he would bring flair and goals.

Sadly, I think Norwich will win by 2 or 3 goals to 1 as some of ours will  no doubt have one eye on the Newcastle game.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Difficult to call tomorrow and head and heart are differing.

Not a big Buckley fan but streets ahead of Garrett and Ayari (a desperately poor Broughton signing) and he should help.

Gilsenan has to at least make the bench - don't think he's had a fair crack but I certainly think there's something about him and he would bring flair and goals.

Sadly, I think Norwich will win by 2 or 3 goals to 1 as some of ours will  no doubt have one eye on the Newcastle game.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24139093.blackburn-rovers-john-eustace-exciting-zak-gilsenan/

There is talk. I think this weekend is too soon tho? Id love to see him play, especially as it seems the players are

" playing with freedom " at the moment 

Think it'll be a third draw on the spin here. I'll go for a 1-1. Szmodics to score for Rovers.

My predicted team:

Pears

Hyam    McFadzean    Wharton

Brittain    Tronstad    Buckley    Hedges

Szmodics

Dolan     Gallagher

This is probably our strongest XI with who we have available for selection. Question mark over whether Hedges starts or not though. I think McFadzean starts this one before getting rested against Newcastle, like a few players will I imagine.

• Like 2

I really hope he doesnt rotate the squad for the Newcastle game. That game represents a glimmer of excitement in otherwise a likely drab end to the season.

Eustace is only just here convincing me and everyone else either way as to if hes a good manager. My opinion of him would go down if he throws that game.

Hopefully we can win tomorrow for the first proper win of the Eustace era.

• Like 1

Well, for the time being, I am done paying good money to watch the game on Rovers TV, the way we are playing now  is just not worth watching. I have also cancelled my Viaplay subscription. I do hope for a win and will keep updated by live updates instead.

From my point of view we are back to playing  dull, unambitious, long shots and parking the bus football. Boring and unambitious.

• Like 2