BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

Im not sure on renewing McFadzean's deal. I think hes very much helped in doing the job this season, amidst a very defensive set up trying to scrape over the line. That being said, I was hoping that wed move away from the back 5, backs to the walls, incapable of attacking style that weve seen as a short term stop gap. If McFadzean plays thats the only way we can play.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure on renewing McFadzean's deal. I think hes very much helped in doing the job this season, amidst a very defensive set up trying to scrape over the line. That being said, I was hoping that wed move away from the back 5, backs to the walls, incapable of attacking style that weve seen as a short term stop gap. If McFadzean plays thats the only way we can play.

He'd be cheap. In the door. Knows what the gaffer wants. Knows the sqaud. Could end up being a coach. 

I'd keep him

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rigger said:

No, what it will mean is that someone thinks he is the best player available for that position, at the present time.

Which will mean it wasn't a problem how he looked in the U21s. Just saying.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Surely he's not being signed to be a starter.

He's experienced and, more importantly, he's a leader. We've desperately short of those in the dressing room. 

I'm not opposed to the move considering S. Wharton will be out most of the season. 

Edited by Exiled_Rover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I think we will move away from the defensive 5 at the back but they will times when his experience will be needed. I think we will go 4-2-3-1 at the start of the season

We will play 5 at the back in some games for sure. Plus his experience in the dressing room will be good. 

I get that he is a leader and I do think thats one big plus. I noticed for example when Pears made that mistake v Sheffield Wednesday, at full time he looked like he ws about to go and hide in the dressing room. McFadzean gave him a hug and then ushered him towards the Blackburn End. Our supposed captain Hyam wasnt the one doing it.

But he is so slow and old that playing him means that you cant even consider playing a back 4 and you have to play really defensive tactics to accomodate him. I get that there are occasions when we will be holding onto a lead where that may be somewhat useful, but I want us to move away from those tactics in general. Id like to think that we will play those tactics very rarely and then it becomes a luxury signing even without any fee just to have a player on a senior wage when we have no money just to play occasionally.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

fergie try to make him something he was`nt,he played him everywhere but his best position of centre back

Maybe so but to suggest that anything other than a series of bad injuries was what ruined his career is nonsense. 

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Exactly, he got most of his England caps post Fergie. Injuries were the issue pure and simple.

Indeed as top level player you should be able to play in different positions anyway.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Exactly, he got most of his England caps post Fergie. Injuries were the issue pure and simple.

Indeed as top level player you should be able to play in different positions anyway.

Injuries are what ruined him as I player I agree 

I still believe to this day that he should've been loaned back to us for another season just to get more 1st team experience under his belt

If Mcfadz stays as a bit part player but they put him through his badges as part of the deal if that's what he wants then happy days.

Needs to be a low wage though cannot be tying up what meagre budget we might have in a guy like that as hard as it is to say. He may well have better paid offers from lge 1 clubs so in that case we'll have to let him go.

Finding another centre defender a bit younger with a bit of experience and attitude really shouldn't be that difficult for this so called DoF and backroom team.

Should it ?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

fergie try to make him something he was`nt,he played him everywhere but his best position of centre back

I think I'd rather use fergies judgement than some dude on brfcs if I'm totally honest.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If Mcfadz stays as a bit part player but they put him through his badges as part of the deal if that's what he wants then happy days.

Needs to be a low wage though cannot be tying up what meagre budget we might have in a guy like that as hard as it is to say. He may well have better paid offers from lge 1 clubs so in that case we'll have to let him go.

Finding another centre defender a bit younger with a bit of experience and attitude really shouldn't be that difficult for this so called DoF and backroom team.

Should it ?

Depends if they're allowed to spend money (including competitive wages) or not.

7 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Depends if they're allowed to spend money (including competitive wages) or not.

The dept that trebled Ennis Plymouth wage, spent 800k on Leo and signed Tel you mean ?

I'll hold my thoughts on their capability for now.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You can play with a back 3/5 and be more attacking, so I don't particularly mind if we stay like that. I think the issue with McFadzean is he forces us to defend really deep - be it a back 3 or a back 4 - because of his lack of pace. 

I'd be happy to keep him as back up on the cheap and I respect what he has done for us in his short time here, but if he starts more than a handful of games for us then it tells us a lot about the sort of season that we'll be having. And it isn't good. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Gregg: Steve have the owners got back to you regarding the budget?
Waggott: Not yet, they said a couple of weeks back that they're looking into it.
Gregg: Ahh okay - could you possibly give them a nudge so we can plan for the window? It opens in 5 weeks.
Waggott: Umm yeah course Gregg... *bites a chocolate digestive* i'll look into it.

5 weeks, let's hope they can get their ducks in a row! Though I wouldn't hold my breath...

Edited by TheRevAshton
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

The dept that trebled Ennis Plymouth wage, spent 800k on Leo and signed Tel you mean ?

I'll hold my thoughts on their capability for now.

Trebled Ennis' wages according to who?

We lost £40k on that deal - it was a worthwhile punt.

• Like 1

It was a useless pointless signing of a player that in no way fit the then head coaches style and had a fitness record you'd expect of a 40 yr old.

It was well documented at the Plymouth end when they wanted to keep him Rovers had offered 3 times as much.

I wait with baited breath the gems Broughton is going to foist on us this summer using his extensive knowledge of getting young players to polish.

Judging by the efforts so far industrial strength stuff won't polish that lot.

5 minutes ago, TheRevAshton said:

100%, should enquire about a loan at the very least, a (currently) hidden gem that lad.

Loan to buy would be a great punt

• Like 2