BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Summer Transfer Window (Press Submit)

3 hours ago, JustARover said:

I doubt this will happen but if we do spend on transfers at best it will be around 10mil so saying that if you were in charge of the signings with 10mil to spend, who would you bring in? 

Going for the realistic approach of frees, loans and players for a fee, who would be your priorities to improve our match day squad 

CB- Panzo loan

Keeper- Johansson 900k Rotherham. Or Iverson £2m from Leicester 

RB - Shackleton free from.Leeds

Wide player -Harvey Knibbs from Reading £1.5m

Szmodics replacement if we need one - Koji Miyoshi £2m from Birmingham 

Striker -  Duncan McGuire - £4m 

Another striker -  Aaron Connelly free 

Re sign McFadzean for another 12 months contract..

3 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Any news about offloading telalovic?

Blimey Sesson only just ended. Players on Holiday. I would think Eustace and his staff are meeting GB and Kimberley for meetings on recruitment and selecting transfer targets they want. 

Trigger the extension on Gallaghers contract. Then try to sell him. He doesn't justify his wage but we can't be left short in that area especially with questionable funds available. 

McFadzean, renew as back up , but only if we are committing to a back 5 which I wouldn't be doing.

Fleck - shouldn't go anywhere near 

Dolan - trigger the extension. Guarantees us some money in a year if he doesn't renew. He's currently a pretty cheap back up.

Chrisene - I'd try to get back.

Ayari - not a priority but I wouldn't be against him coming back either.

Vale can go.

Gent could be a useful back up to a new left wing back

Pickering playing lcb in a 5 makes him more useful.

Hyam if he's only got 1 more year then sell. 

Szmodics. I'm resigned to him going, just about getting the correct amount of money. 

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

CB- Panzo loan

Keeper- Johansson 900k Rotherham. Or Iverson £2m from Leicester 

RB - Shackleton free from.Leeds

Wide player -Harvey Knibbs from Reading £1.5m

Szmodics replacement if we need one - Koji Miyoshi £2m from Birmingham 

Striker -  Duncan McGuire - £4m 

Another striker -  Aaron Connelly free 

Re sign McFadzean for another 12 months contract..

Blimey Sesson only just ended. Players on Holiday. I would think Eustace and his staff are meeting GB and Kimberley for meetings on recruitment and selecting transfer targets they want. 

Drink,  drugs or just gullable?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pointless if they are...whatever budget they have been promised will only be reduced later in the summer.

That's if Venkys havent already told them it's only frees and loans and the wages need to be cut again.

Sell A.Wharton(replace from within)

Sell Szmodic(replace with shite) 

Posted (edited)

Id rather see Red Rum lead the line in a Rovers top than Gallagher next year.  At least that work horse can jump - and its been dead 20 years.  

I cant knock his effort but we're beyond the level of effort alone and if we want a target man style player who will try really hard then good news there's hundreds of younger versions in the football pyramid.  

Said it prior but we absolutely need to divest goals into this team somehow as we can't gamble next year on another 20 goal striker.  

Super Szmod got 27, then Sig 5 and Dolan 5 (in the league).  Even if Sigurdson gets 10 (which although I do think he is capable to do so, can also half see him out the door to a European club) that leaves us 27 goals to get on the basis Szmod and Dolan go.  2 wingers with 7 or so goals in them, a striker with 15 or so and that's still only a 2 goal surplus on our league position and that's no easy ask.  

Edit: some wingers who scored about that much this year who may be possible either loaned or signed 

Koroma

Demebele

Miyoshi

Bacuna 

McAteer

Cullen

Burgzog

Edited by B16Rover
Names added
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FE123 said:

Preston and clubs in Germany/ Holland have apparently been watching Georgie Gent.

He’s delivered more crosses per game (7.49) than anybody else in the SPL (from left back). Motherwell fans are very complimentary of him.

Hopefully another academy product who is going to get an opportunity to shine for us.

Some highlights of Gent at Motherwell 😅

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, B16Rover said:

Id rather see Red Rum lead the line in a Rovers top than Gallagher next year.  At least that work horse can jump - and its been dead 20 years.  

I cant knock his effort but we're beyond the level of effort alone and if we want a target man style player who will try really hard then good news there's hundreds of younger versions in the football pyramid.  

Said it prior but we absolutely need to divest goals into this team somehow as we can't gamble next year on another 20 goal striker.  

Super Szmod got 27, then Sig 5 and Dolan 5 (in the league).  Even if Sigurdson gets 10 (which although I do think he is capable to do so, can also half see him out the door to a European club) that leaves us 27 goals to get on the basis Szmod and Dolan go.  2 wingers with 7 or so goals in them, a striker with 15 or so and that's still only a 2 goal surplus on our league position and that's no easy ask.  

Edit: some wingers who scored about that much this year who may be possible either loaned or signed 

Koroma

Demebele

Miyoshi

Bacuna 

McAteer

Cullen

Burgzog

I doubt Dolan will go even if he doesn't sign a new contract beyond the year extension we will still be entitled to a fee  for him next summer

• Like 2

Last summer we didnt sign a left back under the rhetoric of not blocking pathways with Batty as back up, when in reality we had no money. Batty played one game against Walsall, was awful, and hasnt come close to playing since even when Pickering has been injured, with us having to play someone out of position to cover him for half a season before we could loan in cheap back up in Chrisene.

At least with Gent, he has proven at senior level that he is up to it, or so it seems. There are still question marks, he is playing in the Scottish League which isnt the greatest, his team have struggled and I havent seen him play but if hes more of a wing back say and we want to play a back 4, he might not fit in. But at least there is more potential for him to provide some cover, with more confidence as opposed to spending a year playing in the under 21s. We should never assume that players can step up purely on kids football, Gilsenan seems to be doing really well for example but he himself could have done with a loan, as it is we dont know if he can make the step up or be like Vale etc who couldnt.

With presumably a small budget and an onus to slash the wage budget, I fear that problem positions will continue to remain weak. Are Venkys really going to authorise us signing a keeper when we have 2, one who got a pay rise and a long deal last summer and one who was our only paid for signing. Venkys wont care that the pair cost us loads of goals and I doubt any club is stupid enough to take either from us. Equally, our team is slow, dull and lacks goals. We badly need a couple of quick wide men who can offer a goal threat. We have Hedges who is our best wide man but doesnt score many and is injury prone and might miss pre season, Dolan who flatters to deceive, Sigurdsson who has been poor and Markanday who is nowhere near up to it. But unless we can shift one, will they allow us to strengthen and add to the wage bill? Possibly not.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

I doubt Dolan will go even if he doesn't sign a new contract beyond the year extension we will still be entitled to a fee  for him next summer

This is on the proviso we offer him a new contract (on at least equal terms to his existing one)

It wouldn’t surprise me if the club forgot that part of the regulation…

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, islander200 said:

24 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

This is on the proviso we offer him a new contract (on at least equal terms to his existing one)

It wouldn’t surprise me if the club forgot that part of the regulation…

And that if/when he moves to another club at the end of his contract, he moves to an English one. 

If he were to move to a Rangers/Celtic/Random European club, Rovers would get nothing regardless of his age, or if we have offered him a new contract on better terms etc

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 2

On 07/05/2024 at 14:03, lraC said:

I don't know to be honest, but I suspect that the director of football model has been tried and failed and they will go back to the traditional manager and CEO especially now that they have Eustace there to accept his lot come what may and and try to work with what he is given.

It would be very Venkys/Waggott. Restructure the operating model by bringing in a DoF...but, make him an inexperienced one, then undermine and underfund his transfer activity, bin him off and write that model off as a failure. Reminds me a bit of what the government have done with the NHS.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rigger said:

The problem with Gent is, when he played in our U23s he didn't stand out. I am not saying he hasn't improved, but he didn't stand out.

I don't see how that's a problem with Gent. It doesn't matter what he looked like in the U23s. It matters what he can do now, in senior football. Like you say, he may have (and appears to have) improved.

• Like 3

I wouldn't write Tyrese Campbell off... the lad got pace and is a lot more complete than Ennis.... When Szmodics was 24 he had problems getting in to a Bristol City side and was loaned out to Peterborough... you all know the rest.... think he would be better than most what we have except Szmodics.

55 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I don't see how that's a problem with Gent. It doesn't matter what he looked like in the U23s. It matters what he can do now, in senior football. Like you say, he may have (and appears to have) improved.

Gent did not have that special something that makes a player stand out. funily enough at the same time that Gent played for our U23s, three players (which is a rarety) did stand out. They were Adam Wharton, Ash Phillips, and Jake Batty. Of course it matters what Gent looked like at U23 level. But I will judge him when I see him play for our first-team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

Gent did not have that special something that makes a player stand out. funily enough at the same time that Gent played for our U23s, three players (which is a rarety) did stand out. They were Adam Wharton, Ash Phillips, and Jake Batty. Of course it matters what Gent looked like at U23 level. But I will judge him when I see him play for our first-team.

you just never know how a player will turn out unless you give him a run of first team games,look at phil jones,he did`nt particularly stand out at youth level

• Like 1