BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Sunderland (a) - 1/4/24

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Assuming we stay up this season, a Szmodics sale might seal our fate next season.

Or it might not. We already have replacements for Szmodics's position. Whether they are as effective we would have to wait and see.

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

They aren't. 

I would say the replacements for the position Szmodic plays are Sigurdsson, Markanday, Dolan in that order. None of whom have been played in that position because Szmodic has been so good.

Some supporters in the Blackburn end last Friday were chanting useless Eustace, I wonder if they were singing the same chant against Sunderland yesterday. It was long overdue for the miserable faithful on the road a decent result away, but it will count for nothing if we fail to follow it up with a win on home soil.

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

Some supporters in the Blackburn end last Friday were chanting useless Eustace, I wonder if they were singing the same chant against Sunderland yesterday. It was long overdue for the miserable faithful on the road a decent result away, but it will count for nothing if we fail to follow it up with a win on home soil.

It's not a great surname for a jobbing footy manager really. I'd change it to something like Winalot, Invincible or Ferguson really.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rigger said:

I would say the replacements for the position Szmodics plays are Sigurdsson, Markanday, Dolan in that order. None of whom have been played in that position because Szmodics has been so good.

Its an interesting question how we would play if Szmodics does moved on. We could go 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 or move Buckley into the 10 role but with that it would mean a change of style cos he can't play the 10 role like Szmodics. I think we need a signing in that position but I would say Szmodics ain't left yet tho 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I think its safe to say that players who are predominantly wide men and/or not up to the job arent much in the way of cover.

This is really simple : They are not wide men, that is why they are shit when played in wide positions.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rigger said:

This is really simple : They are not wide men, that is why they are shit when played in wide positions.

I think the reason that Sigurdsson and Markanday are shit out wide is not because they are in the wrong position. Neither is good enough.

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I’ve got to admit I’m not a fan. He misses too many chances and he misses more game than a physical giant should. Fair play to him yesterday, coming off his sick bed to play his usual 60, 65 minutes. I had to laugh when the miss control got him past the Sunderland defender for the goal. I think for the wages he’s reputedly to be on we could do better. I see the Sunderland fans are complaining that he roughed their players up - about bloody time is my immediate thought.

He’s up against his old club that let him go on Saturday. Let’s see if he can make them regret letting him go.

That's all true but he is a real grafter and does a lot of donkey work that others don't. If he was more of a dirty bastard he'd actually be a really good player at this level.

• Like 1

In another note, what has happened to our away support?! 

1,200 at Sunderland at 32 quid a ticket when we haven't won sway since November and what once this calander year? We wouldn't have taken half that flying high in the prem!

• Like 3

Yep, the away support is excellent these days.

Apart from places that are a right arse to get to like south Wales, we as standard will take c1k minimum everywhere (and obviously plenty more often) for an afternoon game.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Upside Down said:

That's all true but he is a real grafter and does a lot of donkey work that others don't. If he was more of a dirty bastard he'd actually be a really good player at this level.

He doesn’t really have be dirty, he just needs to use his size. He needs a few lessons off Shearer. He was brilliant at using his physicality although he wasn’t the biggest bloke around.

• Like 1

Glad to have predicted this one correctly. To be fair it was our easiest game - a team with nothing to play for,  a caretaker manager and in indifferent form is just the sort of game you want. That said we went out and more than achieved what we should with a thumping victory. 

I think now we are safe. No way do the teams below us all win a third of the games left. Even if they do, I'm sure a couple more draws will be enough to scrape by. No more sleepless nights regarding relegation this season. 

On 03/04/2024 at 09:55, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He doesn’t really have be dirty, he just needs to use his size. He needs a few lessons off Shearer. He was brilliant at using his physicality although he wasn’t the biggest bloke around.

He had the opportunity to learn off Danny Graham when he was here. He needs to watch a few videos of Mark Hateley or even Mick Harford in their prime.

On 02/04/2024 at 19:02, rigger said:

I would say the replacements for the position Szmodic plays are Sigurdsson, Markanday, Dolan in that order. None of whom have been played in that position because Szmodic has been so good.

I actually think that the one that would possibly be suited is JRC if he could stay fit

On 02/04/2024 at 20:40, chaddyrovers said:

Its an interesting question how we would play if Szmodics does moved on. We could go 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 or move Buckley into the 10 role but with that it would mean a change of style cos he can't play the 10 role like Szmodics. I think we need a signing in that position but I would say Szmodics ain't left yet tho 

I would love Szchmodics to sign a new contract for Blackburn Rovers, but what's the betting Celtic snap him up in the Summer, he's a Republic of Ireland international.