BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Next season’s line up

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not your fault in any way but that’s a bottom six team. If we can ever get all of them out on the pitch at the same time of course.

Without SS it’s a bottom 3 team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DuffsLeftPeg said:

NEW

JRC Carter NEW NEW

Tronstad   NEW

NEW     NEW   NEW

NEW

I would go further than 3 for the 1st Team. The rest have proved they aren’t good enough or are squad players only. If Szmodics goes for £10m+ then it’s time to spend some of the £40m we’ll have received from transfer dealings in the last year.

I won’t hold my breath.

If we're being realistic we are not going to sign that many players.

My expectation is that Hyam has been playing injured so should get back to himself after a proper pre season. And while I have reservations about Pickering and Brittain I think in the right system they do okay. 

With limited resources you need to target them to be most effective. Keeper and forwards for me. Id take signing two genuinely top forwards, an effective midfield creative player and a solid reliable keeper over loads of new starters of questionable quality.

The risks associated to turning over the entire XI are very high - as any review of signings over as long as football has existed is only aroun 50% of signings work out, so you can often spend a lot of money and leave yourself in a worse position.

1 hour ago, M_B said:

I wouldn't be too hasty with Pears,he's young for a keeper, and this season might just stand him in good stead. 

Yes, he's dropped a couple of clangers, but if anyone thinks we'll sign a keeper who doesn't, they will be in for disappointment. 

The improved defensive displays have come with Pears in goal. It looks like we've a coach who can set up a defence,it'll be interesting if Eustace gives him his support going forward. 

Not for me. He's dropped more than a couple of clangers and it's not as though he compensates for them by making lots of unbelievable saves. 

He's 26 - so pretty young for a keeper but not to the point where he can use it as an excuse. There was probably a bit of an overreaction to the Sheffield Wednesday howler(s), and I'd happily have him on the bench. But at the same time his and Leo's errors were almost the difference between us going down or finishing comfortably safe.

There's a capable enough keeper in there, but he's too error prone to have as 1st choice.

• Like 1

I think we desperately need good cover for brittain and pickering (youth players if up to it..). I like the idea of pickering in a back 3. Good ball player. + 1 experienced head (ie in form hyam or mcfadz again) and carter, who now developed will be our best cb next season imo.

JRCs had a maiden season in CM and cant see him being happy lumped at rb now? Has been effective when match fit.

For me top of list is CB, creative CM (assuming travis has been humbled), winger and x2 centre forwards. Pears given til Jan with better defence in front of him.

We need a lot of good transfers to not get relegated next season..

2 hours ago, M_B said:

When Broughton came in, he actually said this is a refurb, not a rebuild. 

We're starting his 3rd season,  him and his extensive, shiny new recruitment team might want to at least get the tools out of the van. 

Yes, because the Egg is the problem here 🙄

• Like 2

I’d love to upgrade Pears but it isn’t a disaster if we don’t. Same for the defence and midfield. 

If we don’t sign wingers and forwards this summer it will be a season like the last 15 or so games but without Szmodic. We will be lucky to score at all.

4 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Yes, because the Egg is the problem here 🙄

I realise his hands are tied to a point, but  can we not  point the finger at the head of recruitment  for poor recruitment? 

Might as well let Waggott off 

7 hours ago, M_B said:

I realise his hands are tied to a point, but  can we not  point the finger at the head of recruitment  for poor recruitment? 

There are four deals that we know of that were sorted out and then sabotaged by those above him.

They've hogtied him to the point his hands and feet have had to be amputated.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roverblue said:

I’d love to upgrade Pears but it isn’t a disaster if we don’t. Same for the defence and midfield. 

If we don’t sign wingers and forwards this summer it will be a season like the last 15 or so games but without Szmodic. We will be lucky to score at all.

He gifted Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday wins at Ewood - it absolutely is a disaster if he's not replaced. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, roverblue said:

I’d love to upgrade Pears but it isn’t a disaster if we don’t.

He will definitely cost us some games and therefore some points. When you consider we only survived relegation by three points and we missed out on the Play-Offs on goal difference the season before, I think it is a potential disaster we should avoid.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A new No.1 should most definitely be a priority for the summer. Pears isn't good enough.

I noticed that after the Leicester game, the interview with JRC, Szmodics & Pickering, they were all quick to praise him. I think the players know that the fans don't rate him and they're trying to get him some backing via the interview.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, davulsukur said:

A new No.1 should most definitely be a priority for the summer. Pears isn't good enough.

I noticed that after the Leicester game, the interview with JRC, Szmodics & Pickering, they were all quick to praise him. I think the players know that the fans don't rate him and they're trying to get him some backing via the interview.

Pears did made a great save at 1 nil up and he can step up but his biggest problem is lack on consistency otherwise he would be solid keeper at this level. Still not in his peak years yet but I do feel we need an experience keeper signing 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Pears did made a great save at 1 nil up and he can step up but his biggest problem is lack on consistency otherwise he would be solid keeper at this level. Still not in his peak years yet but I do feel we need an experience keeper signing 

His lack of consistency is exactly why he isn't good enough. 

For every good save he makes (against Leicester & Leeds), he makes an absolute clanger (Sheff Wed & Ipswich). 

He's still poor on Crosses and doesn't command his defence like the better keepers do.

Also next season we must improve our results against bottom of the league clubs (bottom 6 clubs) which I think we won only 2. which was QPR away and Birmingham at home. We pick up 10 points out 36 possible points. Simple not good. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

His lack of consistency is exactly why he isn't good enough. 

For every good save he makes (against Leicester & Leeds), he makes an absolute clanger (Sheff Wed & Ipswich). 

He's still poor on Crosses and doesn't command his defence like the better keepers do.

But he isn't in his peak years. I do think we need another keeper signing but I don't think Pears is has bad people make it out to be 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

But he isn't in his peak years. I do think we need another keeper signing but I don't think Pears is has bad people make it out to be 

Pears is a good instinctive shot stopper. I think his downfall is whenever he is given more time to think about what he's doing, he perhaps panics or overthinks it and it results in a mistake. A lot of his mistakes are from not doing the basics right (e.g. the headed clearances against Plymouth and Sheff W, the own goal against Sheff W, the Ipswich goal from the other week, etc.). He needs to improve mentally for sure, or he'll continue in the same way for the remainder of his career.

Either way, we definitely need a new goalkeeper to come in and challenge for the number 1 shirt as Wahlstedt isn't up to it and needs loaning out for a season (or sold if they can get a decent fee for him).

Anyway, getting back on topic with this thread, if 3 signings was the maximum then this is how I'd line Rovers up based on the current squad, so Sammie stays in there at the moment because he is still our player until he's not:

If playing 3 CBs:

New

Carter      New      Pickering

Brittain     Tronstad       JRC        Hedges

Szmodics       Dolan

New

If playing a back 4:

New

Brittain    Carter    New    Pickering

Travis    Tronstad    JRC

Szmodics     New     Hedges

Edited by sharpysharps86

Assuming Wharton is out for the season, Szmodics is sold and only allowing 3 signings as the original post states:

New

Brittain    Carter    New    Pickering

Travis    Tronstad    JRC

Dolan        New       Hedges

Clearly, we need more than 3 new signings though, and if we had any ounce of ambition (clearly not going to be the case):

New

New    Carter    New    Pickering

Tronstad    JRC          

New         New       Hedges

New

Bench: Pears, Brittain, O'Riordan, Travis, Dolan, Gilsenan, Leonard

Sell: Wahlsted, Hyam, Buckley, Gallagher, Markanday, Telalovic, unfortunately Szmodics

Loan: Garrett

Perhaps an unpopular opinion but I'd stick with Pears UNLESS we can get Johansson from Rotherham for his exit clause price. 

Pears has made big mistakes, but look at all keepers in the championship young & old and they all do & always have. Bialkowski, Ruddy (both potentially available) have made major clangers, Raya made plenty but is now at the top of the game; hell, even Steele is a PL regular now. I think other areas are priority right now.

Gent could be a strong addition to the squad. Yes the SPL is arguably not that strong, but he has seemingly been a standout player all season at Motherwell, not just competent. That could free up Pickering to move into the middle of a 3, where he has proven he can perform well.

I think we need 2 new CBs. McFadz should be given 12 month deal but hopefully not to play week in week out. Hyam has struggled but I think his injury could've been a big factor in that, hopefully preseason can resolve that & he comes back the player he was in his first season here. But with Wharton out pretty much all season we need two additions there. One could be Pickering (see above); I'd like Chrisene back too as he would give options & will only get better imo. Hill also has to be considered, he was excellent in the main.

Carter needs to be kept, or replaced like for like if we get sizeable interest for him. And I like Brittain, albeit he has his faults.

Tronstad needs to stay, and I would welcome Trav back into the squad. Buckley can leave for me, he's had enough chances but is not going to make it here; but he would need replacing if he does go. We need a creative midfielder similar to Wharton, who can get stuck in, hold onto the ball & distribute well. JRC could be that but he's not reliable enough fitness wise. Ayari? Maybe; he's looked equally decent or anonymous in his cameo appearances, he might be worth a go but I'm confident there are better, more experienced around.

On the left if midfuekd, Gilsenan & Siggy could be enough, but equally could fall short. So strengthening there would be good, which might leave Siggy to move into the middle as a poor-man's replacement for Sammie, who is inevitably going to leave sadly.

On the right, Markanday can leave or go on loan. Hedges can be excellent, but agsin is nit reliable enough fitness eise. Definitely need a new starter there.

Finally, & most crucially, upfront. Give Dolan a new deal,; there's more to come from him imo. Gallagher is a tough one for me; he often appears clueless, but the stats don't lie re the team's results when he plays compared to when he doesn't. He occupies defenders which frees up other teammates, and his presence in our box when defending set pieces cannot be underestimated. But he doesn't score enough, there's no denying that. There could be a better version of him, but he wouldn't be cheap unless we go left -field (a la Telalovic, which of course is v risky).

I think we should loan out Telalovic & Leonard (with Christmas recalls in case they flourish) and bring in 2 more experienced proven goalscorers at this level, from home or abroad (e.g. Scandinavia). McGuire is a possibility there, he would be rough n ready though from what I've seen & may of course not want to see Ewood again...

Vale should be sold.

Generally, in addition to Gent & Gilsenan there's some talents in the Academy to bear in mind for next season as squad fillers or more, particularly Finneran (if only to try to avoid a Phillips scenario), Tyjon & Duru. There may be others too, but I'll bow to the greater knowledge of others on here as to who might be capable of stepping up next season.

Of course, budget is key here. Despite the fiasco of the Indian Court case, we ought to have more money to spend than we have for many a year. There's Wharton's proceeds; Raya's sell on; probably Sammie's proceeds; possibly fees from sales of others, forced or unforced (e.g. Buckley, Carter, Tronstadt, Markanday, Vale). I think there's also a possible sell on due if Kaminksi moves on from Luton, which I can see happening.

Time will tell I guess... at least there's the Euros to distract us from the main & frustration that will inevitably come!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

He gifted Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday wins at Ewood - it absolutely is a disaster if he's not replaced. 

He made a mistake, Dom Hyam made 4 against Bristol City but gets far less complaints. If you go back over the season you can pin goals on most of our players it just goes unnoticed when they arent a GK.

I stand by my view, if we can only get in 3 players they should all be attackers. Even if Pears drops a couple in his net it wont matter if we cant score at the other.

12 minutes ago, roverblue said:

He made a mistake, Dom Hyam made 4 against Bristol City but gets far less complaints. If you go back over the season you can pin goals on most of our players it just goes unnoticed when they arent a GK.

I stand by my view, if we can only get in 3 players they should all be attackers. Even if Pears drops a couple in his net it wont matter if we cant score at the other.

But Pears has made loads of mistakes. So many especially considering he hasnt played every game.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, roverblue said:

It is not just that he makes mistakes, Pears is rubbish as a keeper. Successful teams are built from the back. 

Edited by rigger

On 06/05/2024 at 15:40, M_B said:

He isn't head of recruitment Sean Kimberley is.

Broughton's job isn't to solely identify players ...he hasn't sat checking stats and scouting players all week.

He is director of football operations and it isn't just the first team.

At least contracts have got signed while he is here

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

All keepers do make mistakes. The issue comes when you make too many and Pears had made loads.

But he's also kept us in games at times too, there's no denying that. As he matures, he should cut out the mistakes & become more reliable. He certainly has the attributes imo.

There's better out there no doubt, but I'm not so sure it's as much of a priority as others believe...

• Like 2