BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelski Transfer Madness

Is Scott Parker a top player?

One of the very finest, he is THE up and coming young midfielder in the premiership domestic or foreign. Can dribble, tackle, create and score- very similar to a certain Mr Gerrard although I think he might feel somewhat under appreciated at Chelsea next season.

I would kill to have him at Rovers, imagine him and Ferguson in the middle, it is enough to make you drool....

The future of England is right there- it will be tough to displace Lampard but I do not think it is beyond him, a far more naturally talented player IMHO. Joe Cole is a trick pony in comparison.

Edited by joey_big_nose

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Chelsea have got themselves a very good manager in Mourinho and he's probably the perfect man to take them forward: very passionate, good motivator, and takes no crap from his players.

By trimming down their squad to a core of 18 quality players, I reckon they'll do very well this year and instead of wondering if they're going to start the next game, the players will be able to focus on their game more. One thing's for sure, no matter which players they're left with, it's going to be a very talented team.

Read somewhere that Kezman was bought to lead the line in a 4-3-3 formation with Duff and Robben as the wide forwards.

Read somewhere that Kezman was bought to lead the line in a 4-3-3 formation with Duff and Robben as the wide forwards.

They're not keen on winning things then eh?

Maybe there is a chance of us making the Champions League after all.

Kezman is very good.l

Good signing for Chelsea.

He's good, but I don't think he's world class. If Chelsea are serious about going for the Premiership and the Champions League then they should be looking at the players a level above him.

you are saying they should buy only stars?

Don't agree with that!!

Kezman is very good but can get better.

Mourinho did that with Nuno Valente, Paulo Ferreira (that he bought) and Maniche, Ricardo carvalho, Helder Postiga improved their game a lot.

This isn't Porto, this is Chelsea.

That's no knock on the reigning European champs... I'm just pointing out that Mourinho is not working with a limited budget here, he is not managing in the Portuguese league and he will certainly not be allowed any room for error. His work at Porto was masterful, but the pressure he'll be under to achieve success at Chelsea will be absolutely astronomical.

With a trigger-happy Abramovich at the helm of the club, Mourinho can't afford to "improve the game" of good players... he needs world class stars who can help him win silverware in order to keep the Mad Russian placated.

Am I saying that Chelsea should only buy stars? At this point, absolutely. Their squad is already too deep, and for once the "don't buy unless it's better than what you have" philosophy rings solidly true. What does Kezman provide that Mutu, Crespo, Forssell or Gudjohnsen couldn't?

Gerrard is a damned good Sat aftenoon player without question but various adjectives that commonly accompany his name eg 'great' and 'world class' are miles wide of the mark.  I dont know if Opta is up to date but I feel our Stevie might just be the top English player to have given the ball away more than any other in Portugal.  

And now we know the truth Gordon....

Steven Gerrard's thoughts were not preoccupied with England during Euro 2004. On the contrary. According to his family, his "mind was in turmoil" during the tournament.

Stevie had something of a big dilemna on his plate. Should he accept a mind-boggling salary down at the Bridge and stab Liverpool fans in the back?

Or would "better the devil you know" at Anfield be the best option for the time being?

Would it be better to continue with his £60,000 a week contract at Liverpool for one more year, after securing promises from Rick Parry that the Reds would improve their results compared with the dour reign of Monsieur Houllier last season?

After all, if things do go pear-shaped for Liverpool next season, he can always turn round and say his promises haven't been met and promptly hand in a transfer request.

There seems little doubt that he came very close indeed to choosing the Stamford Bridge option, before having a last minute change of mind.

Gerrard's mind clearly wasn't on the job in the first match against France when he made a ridiculously stupid backpass to David James that cost us the match.

He probably couldn't look Michael Owen and Jamie Carragher squarely in the eye in Portugal, knowing that he was seriously considering giving a mighty kick in the balls to Liverpool as soon as the tournament was over.

His mind didn't appear to be on the job in the quarter-final, when he constantly gave the ball away to the Portugese and had to be taken off by the England manager in the second half after a woeful performance in midfield.

Eriksson, if he genuinely had England's best interests at heart, would have banned players from having any contact with agents, chief executives and club managers during this tournament.

But then again, the Swede is hardly a man of great loyalty or morality himself, having conducted secret talks with Chelsea last season when Kenyon and Abramovich fluttered their eyelids at him.

I thought that Kenyon's behaviour in Portugal was appalling. His tapping-up of Gerrard, with leaks to the media about his interest in the player, was sickening. The Chief Executive, on a lavish junket to Euro 2004 aboard Roman's yacht, smugly told the media how much he would like to see Gerrard playing alongside Frank Lampard at Chelsea.

So desperate was Kenyon to secure Gerrard, that he couldn't give a damn about the possible effect this would have on England. But when you look at his track record in football, he has a habit of shafting people.

This is the man who within a second of meeting Abramovich's fat cheque-book, decided that he wasn't a lifetime Manchester United fan, but a big Chelsea fan instead.

Kenyon it was who was briefing journalists that Claudio Ranieri would be sacked in the summer, while Chelsea were still in the hunt for three trophies. It was the slimy Kenyon who promised to deliver Sven Goran-Eriksson forcing more pressure on the FA to stump up a fortune to match Chelsea's wages.

Rather like his Christian namesake Peter Mandelson, Kenyon is another odious slimeball who likes to use the media to spin his way behind the scenes in order to get what he wants.

His track record at Old Trafford was hardly brilliant - failing to deliver Ronaldhino to Man United, having earlier spent £28m on Juan Sebastian Veron. Whilst at Old Trafford, he said that half our clubs should be allowed to go the wall.

This is his personal philosophy - where greed is good, where contracts, loyalty, decency and the interests of fans are irrelevant.

He's a leech on the shoulders of the beautiful game.

I can only hope that Roman eventually gets tired of paying him a £3m a year salary that ultimately fails to bring Chelsea's main targets to the Bridge.

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Davids joins Chelski

I don't think anyone saw that one coming.

Smells of Abramovich just sticking his oar in where he fancied, doubt Morinho had much influence on this one.

Chelsea have one bloated midifeld: Robben, Duff, Geremi, Makelele, Lampard, Parker, Cole, Gronkjaer, Davids. This is all ignoring Stanich, Oliviera, Nicolas, Smertin and Petit.

If Parker is deemed surplus to requirements (seems increasingly likely)we should definately have a look. Any manager with his head screwed on right would go for him, but you dont get if you dont ask.

Souness did make enquiries last year when he was still at Charlton.

Can't believe Chelsea have signed Davids. Central midfield was surely one area that didn't need strengthening.

I agree with JBN we should make a cheeky enquiry to see if we can get the likes of Parker or Cole on loan - who knows if we ask Chelsea to think about it long and hard enough they may have some other central midfielders that they don't want / need.

Rovers "Can we have Alexi Smertin on loan please?"

Chelsea "Who?"

R "Alexi Smertin"

C "Never heard of him, Are you sure he's one of ours?"

R “He’s a central midfielder, was on loan at Portsmouth last season, played in Eur……. *deep sigh* never mind, it doesn’t matter”.

We must feel a bit sorry for Tottenham today though. They nearly signed Davids after being linked with him for the last three / four weeks. What bad luck.

Should he accept a mind-boggling salary down at the Bridge and stab Liverpool fans in the back?

Why would it be stabbing Liverpool fans in the back?

That team has underperformed for a good few years, last year they finished 30 points behind the champion. Why shouldn't he consider moving on? He can't win much silverwear once he's retired.

As it is, it may well have been some of those nice death threats to his family that persuaded him to stay (although that could be tabloid BS).

Granted though, it should have been far from his mind during the tournament.

Davids joins Chelski

I don't think anyone saw that one coming.

If it goes through, it’s yet another world famous star to arrive at Stamford Bridge this summer, his wages will be huge. But credit to Chelsea, going out and getting a world class midfielder, on a free transfer. I know Tottenham were in for Davids, but I can’t believe is that there wasn’t a lot of clubs offering him a contract.

Credit to Chelsea, for getting a good player on a free transfer.

it’s yet another world famous star to arrive at Stamford Bridge this summer

famous yes but not world class

Davids is crap

If he was that good both Juv and Barca would have kept him.

Both managers will be celebrating getting rid of the hugh paypacket.

Chelsea are welcome to him. rover.gif

Funny thing that dawned upon me whilst watching the finals - Chelsea have just bought Paulo Ferriera for too much from Porto. And Porto are replacing him with a far better player in Seiteridis.

There was a shot of Abramovich looking pensive during the match, maybe he arrived at the same conclusion as me!

Funny thing that dawned upon me whilst watching the finals - Chelsea have just bought Paulo Ferriera for too much from Porto. And Porto are replacing him with a far better player in Seiteridis.

There was a shot of Abramovich looking pensive during the match, maybe he arrived at the same conclusion as me!

I was thinking the same. Even Miguel (whom Newcastle are rumoured to be interested) is a far cheaper and better option than Ferreira.

£13m - could be next seasons Grabbi!

Very intersting article on the BBC about the Chelsea squd. Morinho has openly set a limit of 24 players and actually declared who is in at the moment.

Link

As it stands only Cudicini, Cech, Ferrera, Johnson, Bridge, Babyaro, Terry, Lampard, Robben, Duff and Gudjohnson appear to be defiantely safe.

I was thinking the same. Even Miguel (whom Newcastle are rumoured to be interested) is a far cheaper and better option than Ferreira.

£13m - could be next seasons Grabbi!

I'm sure Mourinho is aware of how good Ferriera is, and has judged him on his time that he has played for him at Porto, not in the European Championships...

Ferreira is very good. He was european champion.

He made a terrible mistake in the first match but has great quality.

According to the press conference, Mourinho has already chose 20 of the 24 players. He still wants a central defender (possibly Ricardo Carvalho) and the centre midfield and forwards still have a vacant place.

I still think it's going to be interesting to see how a comparatively inexperienced,but successful,manager copes at Chelsea. It's a totally different proposition to Porto.

Well said. The prospect of managing Chelsea will be massive now, especially with the expectations of the whole football world now, because Chelsea has turned into a club with a strong spending power market.

Mourinho however feels confident, but I wouldn’t bee too confident. The media speculation in this country is maximised much more greatly in this country compared to Portugal where he’s managed.

He’s an experienced manager and hasn’t gone about buying a whole range of players just for the sake of it. The players that Mourinho has brought in seem sensible. What Mourinho is trying to do here is that he wants at least two players at the minimum for every position in his squad, which can only help him for when the Champions League and Premier League fixtures begin to really cluster together.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.