BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chelski Transfer Madness

And there's me thinking we had to sell him? Didn't the clause in his contract say something along the lines that if a club came in with a suitable offer (almost certainly £17m) then we had to let Duff speak to the club in question? The subtle difference being that we could still have turned down the offer? But then again maybe it didn't. Who knows? Who cares? It's done. Still Jim - you know the in's and out's of the transfer so you just slag him off as you see fit.

Anyway - for some reason my PC has gone back in time 11 months and I still seem to be discussing Damian Duff. Anyone going on the Bray Wanderers trip? That Emerton will be a good 'un - mark my words. I reckon this could be the season for Dwight Yorke to show us his true worth. Ferguson will be a great player for us - just have a feeling he might get injured up at Newcastle. Jim are you still winding people up?

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And there's me thinking we had to sell him?

Errr, no?? We had to let him speak to other clubs but why were we compelled to sell him?

You are missing the point as usual. Gerrard showed loyalty to his club, Duff took the money and ran. End of story.

Errr, no?? We had to let him speak to other clubs but why were we compelled to sell him?

You are missing the point as usual. Gerrard showed loyalty to his club, Duff took the money and ran. End of story.

In one of this mornings newspaper things (according to BBC sport) it says that Gerrard’s decision to stay at Liverpool was influenced by a hate campaign directed at his family by Liverpool supporters (and some members of a mystery internet messageboard trying to make a fool out of T1MJ). Faced with threats from the Russian mafia or disgruntled scousers, he took the easy option. It's not loyalty it's terrorism.

That just highlights to me the courage of Damien Duff. He had the same dilemma. Should he succumb to the threats from the Russian mafia despite at least one threat from an annoyed Rovers’ supporter to tweak his mum’s nose? No wonder it took him so long to decide.

Really, Jim, would you turn down a job offer with double wage and top facilities?

Gerrard's decision is a triumph for old-fashioned virtues. All power to his considerable elbow. I look forward to more players following his example.

"Now Listen Stevie, No ard feelings like, but if you go to Chelsea you'll be goin to your mums funeral on crutches before the season starts! Know warri mean lar?" ohmy.gif

Stevies face and his general demeanour in the press and media coverage hardly backs up your finely honed reporters intuition on this subject does it Jim? cool.gif

Contrast his attitude with that of the treasonable Duff, who sold his soul for laundered Russian roubles without a backward glance to the club that made his name and the supporters who worshipped him.

That would be a valid comparison if, firstly, Duff was a Blackburn lad like Gerarrd was a Liverpool fan and a local lad. Secondly, if Rovers could offer the same kind of competitive football as Chelsea did at the time. Liverpool can offer Stevie Champions League football just like Chelsea. Rovers couldn't offer that to Duff a year ago...which is why it isn't a fair comparison.

As for Duff himself... he made us £17 million. It isn't his fault if we didn't spend it as well as we could. The guy made us a fortune. It's then up to us to use it appropriately.

We weren't in the Champions League but we were in the Uefa Cup. Duff isn't a Blackburn lad but, as he admitted, he was very happy in the area and had no wish to leave. That is all irrelevant however.

No that's actually all relevant Jim if you are terming him as being 'treacherous' or comparing him to Gerrard as you well know.

Besides, Rovers were happy enough to have the release clause inserted into his contract and were not overly distraught at him leaving...seems Duff wasn't the only one to have his head turned by money. £17 million can go a long way...if spent well. Duff is no more treacherous than any other person in any profession who leaves a company for a better job. The questions shouldn't be about Duff himself though but rather how on earth we sold the two D's (Duff and Dunn) for over £20 million and yet twelve months later are telling the LET there is no money for anything but bargain purchases.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Perhaps, just maybe, there was the smallest chance that we wanted the money more than we wanted to keep the player? ohmy.gif

But as you say - End of story. I just happen to believe that this may well have been the case. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Sorry for missing the point again and thanks for putting my mind at rest.

As for "old fahsioned virtues" for Mr Gerrard - well it sounds more and more that that may well be the case - old fashioned like the Kray's at any rate.

Nice to see that you can distinguish between the good (Gerrard) and the bad (Duff) so easily Jim.

For God's sake, are we still bleating on abourt Duff ?. Who gives a rubber duck how he left a year ago. He is no longer a Rovers player, so get over it. Some of you will still be blathering on about this ancient history at his funeral.

We have De Pedro now anyway.

In one of this mornings newspaper things (according to BBC sport) it says that Gerrard’s decision to stay at Liverpool was influenced by a hate campaign directed at his family by Liverpool supporters

Houllier, Lucas Neill and now Gerrard - class lot those Liverpudlians.

On a COMPLETELY tangential note - the media's espousal of the name Chelski is somewhat inaccurate imo. With the mighty weight of 1 years History A-Level study of Eastern European history and a sketchy knowledge of the odd Russian footballer's' names, I can happily announce that the addition of ski at the end of a name is actually Polish. And, although some parts of Poland have been owned by Russia for long periods of their history - Poland is Poland and Russia is Russia. Abramovich is Russian and not Polish and Olisadebe is Polish not Nigerian... huh.gif ...

...ANYWAY - from now on we call them Chelseovich.

rolleyes.gif

The questions shouldn't be about Duff himself though but rather how on earth we sold the two D's (Duff and Dunn) for over £20 million and yet twelve months later are telling the LET there is no money for anything but bargain purchases.

So you'd like us to keep being in major debt? Read the financial statements from last year and you'll get your answer (which you've already gotten time and time again, but you seem a bit thick about it).

God forbid management be fiscally responsible to assure the long-term future of the club so fans aren't going door to door with buckets like those other guys down the road.

In one of this mornings newspaper things (according to BBC sport) it says that Gerrard’s decision to stay at Liverpool was influenced by a hate campaign directed at his family by Liverpool supporters

On a COMPLETELY tangential note - the media's espousal of the name Chelski is somewhat inaccurate imo. With the mighty weight of 1 years History A-Level study of Eastern European history and a sketchy knowledge of the odd Russian footballer's' names, I can happily announce that the addition of ski at the end of a name is actually Polish. And, although some parts of Poland have been owned by Russia for long periods of their history - Poland is Poland and Russia is Russia. Abramovich is Russian and not Polish and Olisadebe is Polish not Nigerian... huh.gif ...

rolleyes.gif

How about Chelserov, or Chelserova ?.

Good to see Gerrard turn down the Abramovich shilling and pledge his loyalty to Liverpool. There's not much fealty in football these days but some players are not motivated solely by money and still have principles it seems.

Pity the same cannot be said of the treacherous Duff.

It is good to see that he was loyal, but to compare him with Duff?

Duff was at the beginning of the "revolution" before players knew that everyone and their brother was going to be brought in, making competition for spots much tougher.

Also, Duff probably knew that Rovers wouldn't have the money to surround him with the class of player Chelsea would. He knew that with Chelsea there would be yearly champs league football. According to reports, Liverpool has a ton of cash to spend this summer, and considering they made the champs league already, the future could only be brighter, as far as Gerrard was concerned. His prinicpals were to play in Europe. Do you think he'd have been so quick to turn Chelsea down if Newcastle hadn't folded at the end of the season?

The questions shouldn't be about Duff himself though but rather how on earth we sold the two D's (Duff and Dunn) for over £20 million and yet twelve months later are telling the LET there is no money for anything but bargain purchases.

So you'd like us to keep being in major debt? Read the financial statements from last year and you'll get your answer (which you've already gotten time and time again, but you seem a bit thick about it).

Absolute rubbish. Where on earth did I say anything about wanting the club to be in major debt? The simple fact of the matter is that we have sold Taylor, Duff and Dunn in the past twelve months yet have little money at all to spend. While some of the money was set aside for debt repayment, where has the rest apparently gone? Surely not all on Ferguson and Reid? I've never advocated spending large amounts on transfers but I did hope we'd have modest amounts to be able to rebuild the squad for the next few years after Duff and Dunn left. This isn't what Souness is telling the papers. Oh and I'll ignore your personal insult as I usually expect better from you...

Anyway - for some reason my PC has gone back in time 11 months and I still seem to be discussing Damian Duff. Anyone going on the Bray Wanderers trip?

Flippin eck Bob !!!

Do you have Saturday's lottery numbers ??!

From the LET today ...

Graeme Souness will take his squad to Dublin on Sunday August 8 for a match against Bray Wanderers in a repeat of last summer's fixture between the two sides.

Anyway - for some reason my PC has gone back in time 11 months and I still seem to be discussing Damian Duff. Anyone going on the Bray Wanderers trip?

Flippin eck Bob !!!

Do you have Saturday's lottery numbers ??!

From the LET today ...

Graeme Souness will take his squad to Dublin on Sunday August 8 for a match against Bray Wanderers in a repeat of last summer's fixture between the two sides.

I had no idea. Really I didn't. It's this PC - it keeps going back in time. We should put a bid in for that Steven Reid if you ask me. One things for sure he'll not be injury prone. Has Duff gone to Chelsea yet?

rolleyes.gif

How about Chelserov, or Chelserova ?.

If a rich Russian bought us would we be called "Blackburn Rova" or "Roversova"? smile.gif

Absolute rubbish. Where on earth did I say anything about wanting the club to be in major debt? The simple fact of the matter is that we have sold Taylor, Duff and Dunn in the past twelve months yet have little money at all to spend. While some of the money was set aside for debt repayment, where has the rest apparently gone? Surely not all on Ferguson and Reid? I've never advocated spending large amounts on transfers but I did hope we'd have modest amounts to be able to rebuild the squad for the next few years after Duff and Dunn left. This isn't what Souness is telling the papers. Oh and I'll ignore your personal insult as I usually expect better from you...

I'd say spending half and putting half towards debt repayment is pretty repsonsible. Even going by the lowest of estimates, spending 7 million on them and putting 10 million back towards a large debt is more than we should expect, considering how large the debt is.

It's not responsible to spend large amounts this year, as we're not exactly making an operating profit from year to year (and I'm sure had we finished top 10 last year, there would be more money for transfers). The hope is for the club to be on a good financial footing. They might have put more towards the debt than people wanted, but they did the responsible thing. If anything, we should be happy they spent as much as they did on Ferguson.

As for the personal insult, no offense, I've just hit my breaking point with everyone complaining about the money not being used on transfers, and being used responsibly instead.

I wonder how long Peter Kenyon will last at Chelski?

So far this summer, every transfer objective has rejected them except for a £13m full back who is so good, he has been dropped by Portugal!

Meantime Spuds sre sniffing around Joe Cole and various other likely victims of the Mourinho axe.

Here we go again.

Another target for Chelsea, you just wonder how many is on there list and who’s next after this? The spending power they have can only be bad for them, although Mourinho said everyone starts with a clean slate come pre-season training.

Never seen the player play before so I can’t say what he’s like. But if Mourinho has recommended the player, then he surely must be a decent player.

Chelsea target Tiago

I'm a bit concerned...I really do hope they have some revolving doors at Stamford Bridge or the doorman will be permanently doing his shoulder in with all the comings and goings he has to hold the door for.

Less than a year after they bought him, it is being suggested that they are happy to let Juventus take Mutu off their hands. Then again...the article is by our old friend Alan 'Rovers will have £10 million to spend this summer" Nixon so whether or not you believe it will come to pass is up to you.

Juventus enter talks over Mutu

Meantime Spuds sre sniffing around Joe Cole and various other likely victims of the Mourinho axe.

Five Live has been reporting a bid of £5m for Jeremy and J Cole - seems cheap?

Five Live has been reporting a bid of £5m for Jeremy and J Cole - seems cheap?

Is that Jeremy Paxman the broadcaster or Geremi the footballer?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.