BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

10 hours ago, Speedie Dived said:

That's some warped logic. We have had 4 players (off top of my head) come through in last 4 years. So that's 4 out of 50 odd players.

I am led to believe there is nothing great coming through either.

Thanks for this - this is exactly my point. Just because they're in our U23 team doesn't make them good enough to warrant a chance in our first team. As you say so few to have broken through shows there is a huge gulf in quality between first team and u23s.

Obviously being league 1 means the required standard is lower so perhaps a few more might make it through but even then (and someone may know this) I'm not sure how many u23s we've released in the last couple of years are playing at league 1 standard.

Fortunately even under Vs we're a fair way off me getting a call...

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Boroblue said:

Why the hand ringing. He's a youth player who just happens to be from Blackburn. It made no difference to him which team he plays for and as a result it should make no difference to us. We need men who want to play for us wherever there from. He didn't and has far as I'm concerned from that point on he might as well be from Botswana. He's not interested and we shouldn't be . Good bye and good luck Connor Mahoney 

We're discussing a Rovers transfer in a transfer thread on a Rovers forum. Maybe you're in the wrong place? 

8 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Sheff Utd.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/15389060.Blackburn_Rovers_reject_two_bids_from_Sheffield_United_for_defender_Darragh_Lenihan/?ref=mac

The 23-year-old has been attracting Championship interest throughout the summer, with newcomers Sheffield United the first to show their hand.

...with more to come.

Hope this helps. You can stop waiting now, Princess:)

Sheff Utd? They've just been promoted from L1 and a relegation battle looms how is that an indictment of ability. The very fact they've buffed 400k only says asllot for his ability.

7 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

I reckon Emnes would tear up this league, far more than Gallagher. 

Cannot question his ability on the ball but it was when he could be bothered and that was once every six games. Gally at least would put a shift in every week.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Sheff Utd? They've just been promoted from L1 and a relegation battle looms how is that an indictment of ability. The very fact they've buffed 400k only says asllot for his ability.

You asked for a Championship club. You got one, Careful you don't hurt yourself moving those goalposts.

• Backroom
8 hours ago, Bluebandit said:

But he won't it's already been stated that the standard of football he's gone to is lower than league 1 so expecting somebody to improve when they are playing with & against inferior players is daft to be honest. You only improve playing with & against better nothing to learn otherwise apart from stagnation. His best path would have been sitting tight for a season learn something then get his chance young lads think money first I was the same at his age. This 1 will bite on the bum league 1 gets alot more exposure than some youth network at Bournemouth. You are right with the time thing though. That's the measure of most things it's irrelevant what we think the truth will emerge with time.

Fact is I would trust Eddie Howe and his staff's ideas on player development more than the armchair experts on here. Any implication that Bournemouth have brought Mahoney in on a four year deal with no real intention to try and improve him is baffling to me. It makes no sense. 

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Fact is I would trust Eddie Howe and his staff's ideas on player development more than the armchair experts on here. Any implication that Bournemouth have brought Mahoney in on a four year deal with no real intention to try and improve him is baffling to me. It makes no sense. 

Grow up. It's a forum. People will have opinions that differ to yours. No need to be bitter.

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but my first thought about Mahoney being announced as a U23 signing is a bid by Bournemouth to lower the amount of compo they have to pay to us.

12 minutes ago, Dunnfc said:

I very much look forward to your financial posts but when it comes to footballers and their ability I can never understand your reasoning.

Lenihan is a good player and a great prospect. Championship is his level but I'd say he'd walk into mid-lower league Championship team this year. A few more years of development and I'd say he'd be a top half player.

I've heard from a reporter, albeit a Burnley reporter but someone that is obviously in the 'media loop' if you will (and someone I trust to be impartial), that Lenihan is staying at Blackburn but Mulgrew and Graham are off. Mulgrew is an almost certainty whilst Graham's agent is throwing him about like nobodies business in a bid to get him back to the Championship.

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hanley, Duffy, Marshall, Gestede, King, Rhodes all wanted out of Rovers. 

Mowbray met the owners that what he has said. 

More cock and bull Lambert came in and did a job on Jordan remember talking to Jordan just weeks before this alleged being unsettled when he was anything but unsettled and relatively happy.

Players are commodities to be moved on and sold for money.

Blackburn Rovers doesn't have a long term team under this lot.

25 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, but my first thought about Mahoney being announced as a U23 signing is a bid by Bournemouth to lower the amount of compo they have to pay to us.

He's gone now so wether cleaner or player doesn't really matter money into Blackburn Rovers doesn't go towards strengthening the club. 

Easy money from out of Blackburn.

53 minutes ago, DE. said:

You nailed on your earlier post with the time factor. We will see what transpires 

8 hours ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Unambitious? They have the best young English manager in the country, they have come up through the leagues in no time and are now an established Top flight club. Guessing playing second fiddle to Feeney is ambition? Good luck to the lad, full of talent and proof we do have the ability to bring quality through the ranks

Good point. I would play many players before I would consider Mahoney in our first time. Decent substitute but has never impressed when he has started. It is an unabitious move though.. joining Bournemouth reserves is a poor choice if there is a path to the 1st team good on him.

20 is not young and I don't believe Bournemouth u23 play in premier league 2. He will need to go on loan and I'm not saying he is useless I would have him back but he must have been offered a few £000 extra a week ... 

• Backroom
36 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I still love you, for all your faults.

pointing-dog-rightbackatya.jpg

I actually think Mahoney will be out on loan to a Championship club sooner rather than later. Maybe six months in the U23's for Bournemouth's development team to assess his abilities, then loaned out to whoever seems appropriate. Potentially getting first team Championship experience on PL wages is a potential win for Mahoney if that happens.

49 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I've heard from a reporter, albeit a Burnley reporter but someone that is obviously in the 'media loop' if you will (and someone I trust to be impartial), that Lenihan is staying at Blackburn but Mulgrew and Graham are off. Mulgrew is an almost certainty whilst Graham's agent is throwing him about like nobodies business in a bid to get him back to the Championship.

I have no doubt that Graham and Mulgrew would jump at the chance to leave if possible. For Graham I think it's a case of how low he'll go wage wise - doubt anybody will match what we're paying him - and for Mulgrew it'll depend on whether there's a club willing to bring him in with his poor fitness record. That's how he ended up here after all, and last season won't have done much to assuage any fears on that front. 

• Moderation Lead

Re Mahoney, he must have some confidence in his ability as Bournemouth seem well stocked in the wingers department.

They spent big on Jordon Ibe last summer and despite this, they've been playing Ryan Fraser and Marc Pugh a lot, they've also got Max Gradel and Junior Stanislas in the first team squad playing on the wing.

Plus, you've got Josh King who plays there from time to time.

That being said though, I don't blame the guy for going. It's a short career. If he wasn't a Blackburn lad, I suspect this wouldn't even be a discussion. I imagine he'll initially have a similar to path to what DE mapped out tbh.

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hanley, Duffy, Marshall, Gestede, King, Rhodes all wanted out of Rovers. 

Mowbray met the owners that what he has said. 

But WHY did they all want out?

Anything to do with these owners attempting to sell them and develop interest from rival clubs? Anything to do with embarking on a process of selling everyone they could? Anything to do with undermining the manager and messing him about whilst showing no ambition whatsoever?

Mowbray has said he met 'the owners'. As I've explained already it is strange that there is constant reference from Mowbray, Rovers and local media of 'the owners' and no more specifics such as which individuals on the owners side were involved. We all know that some of 'the owners' have more power than others, so of course it matters which of them he has spoken to.

• Backroom

Hope he has a good career but when Feeney was being picked ahead of him last season it was on merit for the most part. He has a lot to learn and has to play to do that, Bowyer really should have sent him to league 2 for an education a few years back.

Against Preston when he came on and the Bristol game he looked pretty much the worst on the pitch whilst other times you felt magic was a moment away.

When you look back to what Duff was doing at that age you realise maybe we were more than a bit spoilt!

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

But WHY did they all want out?

Anything to do with these owners attempting to sell them and develop interest from rival clubs? Anything to do with embarking on a process of selling everyone they could? Anything to do with undermining the manager and messing him about whilst showing no ambition whatsoever?

Mowbray has said he met 'the owners'. As I've explained already it is strange that there is constant reference from Mowbray, Rovers and local media of 'the owners' and no more specifics such as which individuals on the owners side were involved. We all know that some of 'the owners' have more power than others, so of course it matters which of them he has spoken to.

They wanted out because more stable and potentially successful clubs wanted them. Venkys didn't have to persuade anyone too forcefully. In fact the players were the main instigators in a number of cases. We didn't force them to stay is the thing. 

You make an interesting point in your final paragraph. Why hasn't Mowbray been specific about who he met? It seems strange,  even conversationaly, he wouldn't say specifically who he met. Did he meet 2 or all 3?Has he been asked this question? Probably nothing in it, but at the next meeting with Mowbray, can someone ask who he exactly he met 

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

Agreed. I mentioned the 'cunning plan' pages ago.

Bournemouth U23s is effectively their 'Reserve' side. They play in The Central League South East Division.

Archived